Author Topic: I Finally Did It  (Read 3261 times)

Offline dgm0967

• Site Supporters
  • TURBO TYPER!
I Finally Did It
« on: July 16, 2007, 08:58:58 PM »
I bought my bike with a D&D exhaust (slip-on)and unknown jetting. Yesterday I finally took took the carbs off and it's my first time doing carbs. I didn't know the jetting and wanted to adjust the float bowls and  Air mixture screws. The float bowls and air mixture screws were not even close between the carbs. So I went with the following set-up.
150 mains(already in)
Shimmed pilots (already done)
Float bowls set to 150mm
Air mixture screws out 3 turns
Airbox cover removed(already done)
Holeshot 5 degree advancer (was already in)

While I had it apart I changed sparkplugs and the airfilter. It made a big difference in low and midrange and didn't lose anything high end, according to my seat dyno. It just runs smoother thru all RPM's. I still need to do the sync.

It still seems to bog or hesitate a little when I crack the throttle at any RPM. Is this normal?
1999 Bandit S1200 BLACK

Offline longislandbandit99

• Board Homesteader!
I Finally Did It
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 10:13:26 PM »
I would think the throttle response should be crisp and smooth.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
I Finally Did It
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 02:00:25 PM »
A hesitation would be normal if you're asking more with your wrist than vacuum will allow the slides to move. Also, whacking the throttle to the stop from low rpm in a too tall of a gearbox selection will cause a boggy feeling.

:btw: I sure hope those floats are set at 15mm, I don't think there's room in the float bowls to set them to 150mm. :wink:
(14.7mm is the recommended setting for most 1G B12's)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
I Finally Did It
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 03:58:41 PM »
The other half explained this to me the other day when we were talking about Dita's jetting (I don't do bike carbs) , so I -may- have translated this wrong,.. but:

often the carbs on the bikes have different air mixture settings (or jet sizes) for the two inner and two outer carbs.

This is mainly for a heat reasons.  The two outer cylinders have cooling in two ways that the inner cylinders do not.  
1. Better Airflow
2. Better cooling via the water jacket.

In order to make the 2 inner cylinders run cooler, we run them richer than the outers.  

So,... any chance your bogging has anything to do with this??
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline dgm0967

• Site Supporters
  • TURBO TYPER!
I Finally Did It
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 09:46:30 PM »
I took it out today and things just got worse until it died. I looked under the tank and the hose that goes from the petcock to carb was off and the gas line had a small crimp. Fixed that and all is welljavascript:emoticon(':motorsmile:')
motorsmile. Full of shits and giggles. I really cant believe how much a difference it made just to adjust the floats and A\F mixture.

"I sure hope those floats are set at 15mm, I don't think there's room in the float bowls to set them to 150mm. Wink
(14.7mm is the recommended setting for most 1G B12's)"  

I know, ignorance at it's best. I saw 14.7 and 16 so I shot for in between. I used the cut cardboard  method and it worked pretty well.

"I would think the throttle response should be crisp and smooth."
It is now, just that my reassembly wasn't smooth. :duh:

"In order to make the 2 inner cylinders run cooler, we run them richer than the outers."

That makes alot of sense but I had drill out the covers so I assume the settings were from factory. The right carb was actually tight and the left was around 4 turns out. You'd think they'd do a little better at the factory. I may have to play around with some fine tuning but it's running well now. Carb sync and a dyno run is on the agenda next.

Sorry about the quotes. I'll have to read the instructions to make them work properly. Thanks.
1999 Bandit S1200 BLACK

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
I Finally Did It
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 03:29:54 AM »
Quote from: "dgm0967"
"In order to make the 2 inner cylinders run cooler, we run them richer than the outers."

That makes alot of sense but I had drill out the covers so I assume the settings were from factory. The right carb was actually tight and the left was around 4 turns out. You'd think they'd do a little better at the factory.

Hah!  You would think so, wouldn't you?  Perhaps for whatever reason that's what it took to get it right at sea level... though you'd think they would have changed some jets before doing that.   Of course we're also assuming that the person that set those carbs wasn't hung over or working his last day before quitting to move to better and greener pastures.  :wink:

Btw, for your quotes thing... try hitting the "quote" button instead of reply...
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works