Author Topic: Front sprocket seems loose  (Read 2728 times)

Offline oxo888

• New user!
Front sprocket seems loose
« on: March 16, 2006, 11:34:00 PM »
Good Day Everyone!

I own a bandit 400sv. Is it normal for the front sprocket to have a quite a big play both sidewards and forward. The sprocket was being held in place by splines and a clip. is it possible that the inner tooth of the sprocket or the splines have worn out. I'm not the first owner of the bike. BTW, i installed new DID o-ring chains and noticed that there were instances that the chain tension varies at every rear wheel rotation, sometimes too tight and sometimes too loose. is this just normal or should i replace both front and rear sprockets as well? What's the stock combination of the front and rear sprockets? Thanks for your help Guys!

OXO888
OXO888

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 04:35:52 AM »
Yes it's possible the spline and inner teeth on the sprocket are worn out. I posted about the same thing a little while ago here:
http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=4709
There are a couple of photos of splines, one of my bandit which is only a little worn, and one of a gsx250 that is quite badly worn.

I've been told that sprockets can wear out of round. Not sure I believe it, but if they do that might cause your chain to be tight in one position and loose in another.
Alternatively, if the faces of the teeth are worn unevenly, it might have the same effect. What do the sprockets look like?
I had to replace my chain recently, the old one had a tight spot. The sprockets were ok though.
If you're looking for aftermarket sprockets, JT sprockets are one possible brand (I don't know of any others, haven't looked) www.jtsprockets.com and they have an online catalogue.

I've read that the spline wear can be a problem for GS500's as well. Putting some high impact grease on the spline/sprocket when assembling them is supposed to help. If they are dry and rust, they will wear a lot quicker.

Offline oxo888

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 09:03:16 PM »
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the infos! I guess I have to replace my front sprocket for my final driveshaft spline to last a bit more longer. Anyway, the front sprocket already have signs of wear but the rear seems still ok! I'll try to find one on the jt link you sent. Thanks!
OXO888