Author Topic: clear alternatives tail light  (Read 3589 times)

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
clear alternatives tail light
« on: July 17, 2005, 10:39:54 PM »
I have a silver bandit, so I wanted a cleaner look for the tail.  So I went with a clear alternatives tail light.  For those that don't know, it consists of a clear tail light cover and two red bulbs for the non LED version.  Within a four month period, I ended up losing the tail light portion of the tail lights.  To order red bulbs, it ends up being $8 plus and/or tax/shipping for two bulbs.  One of my local dealers tried to order some, their back ordered! :duh:   I need two bulbs, so what do I do?  I painted my own bulbs, but the trick is to clean off the oil on the bulb(s) with rubbing alcohol or equivelent.  The other trick is to use a light coat of high temp red paint and of course tape the metal part off as well.  Now quantity is plentiful, easier and cheaper to acquire.  BTW, if you use regular red paint, it may eventually burn off.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 10:50:45 PM »
Wow, on the older version of the BAndit, I have the Clear Alternatives tail light, and it has an inner molded red lens, so you can use a normal bulb.
I didn't know the version for the newer bandits was different.

You might check a larger autoparts store, like in the metropolitan area of Wichita Falls,  (Been to Burkburnett!!) anc check for red tinted bulbs.
You might also be able to use some of that red lens repair tape.  What is the number of the bulb?  Advance, or Autozone may have them in tinted versions.....or J C Whitney.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 11:08:54 PM »
It takes a standard 1157 bulb.  You can find amber and clear all day long, but no red bulbs.  Painting the bulb works like a champ and you won't be able to tell a difference when you install your cover back on.  Also yep, the '01+ uses red bulbs.

Offline banditoverde

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 03:24:15 AM »
I'm planning on buying from clear alternatives soon.  They are working on a clear lens LED integrated rear light.  Last I talked to them they were planning on having them available in early August.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 08:56:29 AM »
The last time I was on Ebay, I saw a LED integrated tail light/turn signal setup.  It was going for $85.

Offline chippi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 11:32:04 AM »
Quote from: "banditoverde"
I'm planning on buying from clear alternatives soon.
:beers: Me too, me too. I think it's got a nice clean look. I'm thinking LED

:?: solman You have the clear lens, why not go with the LED?
Learn from other peoples mistakes...... or you won't be around long enough to make them all yourself!

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 07:21:51 PM »
If they would've had integrated turn signal LED tail lights, then I would've gone that route.  But at the time, all they had was standard tail lights.  I would've gone with LED, but the cost difference was quite high.  Also I don't know if the LED kit is a whole seperate unit, or if they just give you the same cover and LED bulbs.  I tried LED tail lights and had problems with them, so I went back to bulbs. Also depending on what you are doing, LED's can be a pain in the butt.  Here y'all go, I found this on EBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=35583&item=4561500113

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 09:38:37 PM »
I was thinking about an integrator unit but was concerned it wouldn't be obvious enough. The red and yellow blinker looks pretty good. Definately thinking about it.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 09:51:48 PM »
I have ridden with (followed for a thousand miles or more) a guy that had an integrator and I hated it (although it's not as bad as your current undertail setup, Chris  :stickpoke: )  I couldn't tell what the hell he was doing.  That one pictured above is way cool, though.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 04:06:16 AM »
I have this setup from clear alternatives. It is DOT approved.