Author Topic: Repainting a bike......  (Read 4345 times)

Offline ShadowWolf

• TURBO TYPER!
Repainting a bike......
« on: July 18, 2005, 12:32:57 AM »
Hello guys/gals...

I got a red bandit that I want to repaint(flat black). I want to leave the frame red and repaint the tank, fenders, plastics flat black. I'm doing a red and black theme. Any advice on doing it with spray cans. I know it sounds nut but I think I can pull it off. Here's my plan let me know if I'm doing something wrong or if you have any tips....

Sand off original paint, coat of primer, alot of light coats of flat black and I'm going to top it off with some kind of sealant. Is it possible to have it look halfway decent? Any input would be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks in advance!
" A man steals from me, I cut off his hand. If he lies to me, I cut out his tongue. If he stands up against me, I cut off his head, stick it on a pike and lift it up for all to see." -Bill The Butcher

Offline jfudo

• Board Homesteader!
Repainting a bike......
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 09:51:39 AM »
I repainted a gas tank with cans once.  I think it looked pretty good.  Ended up using I think 2 cans for it.  Plus probably four cans of clear coat.

The biggest problem, if I remember correctly, is getting the right kind of paint.  The whole laquer, enamel confusion.  I couldn't get a clear coat and color that went together.  I sold the bike so I don't know how the paint job endured time.  

You probably will have a hard time finding flat black paint in a can that is appropriate and a matching flat black clear coat.

My best advice, if you go ahead with it, is to make sure you do several light coats.  Nothing is worse than getting a run or orange peal.  You pretty much will have to start over after that.

I'm sure someone will chime in with better knowledge than me.  I want to know the same things, but I own a compressor so I will probably buy a gun and do it a little closer to the right way.

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
Repainting a bike......
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 10:42:29 AM »
I'd definitely use a paint system designed for transportation vehicles, otherwise who knows how long it will last in weather and road abuse.

Here's a link for a gloss black kit.
http://www.paintforcars.com/blackk.html
Super Gloss Jet Black Acrylic Enamel Paint Kit - $59
Complete Acrylic enamel car paint kit. Includes one gallon of our Premium Acrylic enamel car paint, 1 pint "Wet look acrylic Hardener, 1 qrt. medium speed Acrylic Reducer, 1 Disposable Respirator, 2 Paint Strainers and 3 Stir sticks. This kit includes everything you need to paint your car. Ratio is 4 parts paint, 1 part reducer and 8 parts paint, 1 part hardener.
Hawthorne "Rayflex" Acrylic Enamel "Super Gloss Jet Black" Car Paint great for complete re-spray of vehicles. Drys very quickly to a high gloss finish with much higher durability than most standard enamel car paints. Can be combined with our Acrylic Enamel Clear Coat for true two stage show quality results. Compare and save. You can't beat our prices for car paint supplies.
Many of our customers find our auto paint offers the same quality as many top name-brand auto paints at considerably higher prices such as PPG, Centari and Dupont Imron. Check out our customer testimonials page for details. Acrylic enamel car paint, so it's one step, no buffing out required. Dries to a deep brilliant finish.

And clearcoat for show finish.
http://www.paintforcars.com/clearenamel.html
Hawthorne Rayflex Acrylic Enamel Clear Coat - $35 per gallon.
Designed to be used as an optional component to all the acrylic enamel auto paints we sell. Our Acrylic Enamel Clear Coat will add a very high gloss, greater durability, and resistance to fading to the color coat.
If you want the "ultimate show car" finish, and plan on showing your car, our clear coat will give you the appearance you want. Can be used with any single stage Acrylic enamel automotive paint. Ratio on reducer is 4 parts clear coat, 1 part reducer. Ratio on hardener is 8 parts clear coat, 1 part hardener.

Offline ShadowWolf

• TURBO TYPER!
Repainting a bike......
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 04:41:38 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I'll post before pics and after when I paint the bike. Wish me luck lol.
" A man steals from me, I cut off his hand. If he lies to me, I cut out his tongue. If he stands up against me, I cut off his head, stick it on a pike and lift it up for all to see." -Bill The Butcher

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Repainting a bike......
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 08:47:07 PM »
You shouldn't need to sand the color all the way off, just to smooth out any defects (nicks and such) and give it a rough enough surface for the new paint to stick.

Quality of the paint is paramount to how it'll turn out. Many autobody supply stores can provide any automotive paint they carry in a spray can. Cleanliness is also very important. Avoid painting in areas where bugs, dust, dirt, etc can get into the paint.

My personal taste here, if I may, gloss black would look a lot better with a gloss red frame.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ShadowWolf

• TURBO TYPER!
Repainting a bike......
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 10:40:23 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
You shouldn't need to sand the color all the way off, just to smooth out any defects (nicks and such) and give it a rough enough surface for the new paint to stick.

Quality of the paint is paramount to how it'll turn out. Many autobody supply stores can provide any automotive paint they carry in a spray can. Cleanliness is also very important. Avoid painting in areas where bugs, dust, dirt, etc can get into the paint.

My personal taste here, if I may, gloss black would look a lot better with a gloss red frame.

Red now that you mention it......gloss on gloss sounds alot better. Thanks for the advice. As soon as I get things rollin I'll post some pics. Thanks again.

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Repainting a bike......
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 03:58:54 AM »
It is imperative that you use an automotive paint & not spry cans. The stuff in spray cans will not hold up to gas spills etc. and is not very durable. I have never seen a bike painted with spray cans look good after a year.

Offline jesjames9598

• TURBO TYPER!
Repainting a bike......
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 06:55:53 AM »
Mate far  from me to tell you what to do but spray cans?mat black?.Dont do it.Such beutiful machines deserve great paint jobs,spend the bucks you cant take it with you.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Repainting a bike......
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 07:11:16 PM »
Quote from: "Bazza"
It is imperative that you use an automotive paint & not spry cans. The stuff in spray cans will not hold up to gas spills etc. and is not very durable. I have never seen a bike painted with spray cans look good after a year.

Like I said before, it's the quality of the paint in the can. The stuff you buy at the corner store is crap, but if you buy quality auto paint from a supply house (or Color-Rite) it can be done nicely. Not as easily as with a paint gun since there's less control of the spray pattern, but it can be done.

If your reason for wanting to go with a spray can is because you don't have access to a compressor, something like a PreVal sprayer will do a nice job and uses paint you pour into it's container. (We use these @ work all the time for touchup painting of interior and exterior surfaces on aircraft.)

http://www.prevalspraygun.com/
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)