Author Topic: Speedometer/Tach swap.  (Read 3381 times)

Offline ChrisB

• New user!
Speedometer/Tach swap.
« on: June 02, 2006, 08:22:19 AM »
Question ? Last week I had the unfortunate experience of my first accident! Riding one of my favorate roads, just entering a good sharp left hander at about 30 mph. When wouldn't you know it a cager comes around from the opposite direction using up about 2/3rds of my lane. Options were easy hit cager head on or straighten up try to slow her down and take on guard rails. Managed #2. Personal bodily harm one bruise. Thanks to proper equiptment, armour is sweet !!!. Approx $800.00 to right side of bike ( lower fairing half / signal / mirror / bars / brake lever front and rear / right foot peg / complete rear tail and tail light. ) Shop checked out frame and all other aspects of bike stright as an arrow. NRC covers I would pay a grand a piece after the job they did saving every thing else. Back to my question, I have replaced everything this time back to soriginal. If it should happen again does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of aftermarket tach / speedo kits are out there to swap for a 04 1200s. Oh as long as I'm venting the State boys showed up. Cager not liable seeing he did not actually hit me. He was the cause. But do to no actual contact he's not liable.  :stop:  Thanks!!

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Speedometer/Tach swap.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 08:56:56 AM »
Oh so next time you have to let him hit you for him to be liable, sounds about right.  Good to hear you are alright.
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline WabashMX5

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Speedometer/Tach swap.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 10:15:02 AM »
Cager not liable seeing he did not actually hit me. He was the cause. But do to no actual contact he's not liable.  :stop:  Thanks!!

That's ridiculous!  It's one thing if they want to level with you and say, "Because he didn't actually hit you, it's a he-said-she-said about whether the car was out of its lane, and those are difficult to prosecute."  But if they claim it's a "no contact, no foul" rule, then either VT law is ridiculous or they're completely ignorant of it.

If the other driver was uninsured, or their insurer refuses to pay your damages, you might want to file a small-claims case to force the issue.

Bottom line, though, glad you're okay -- and that's one heckuva testimonial for body armor.  I really should get some, instead of just relying on heavy denim and armorless leather.
'03 VW GTI 1.8T
'91 VW Jetta Carat
'94 Mazda Miata

'03 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
'85 Kawasaki 454LTD

Five vehicles for two drivers?  Sounds about right to me....

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Speedometer/Tach swap.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 10:22:47 AM »
I'm pretty sure PA law is like that too.  Either that or its VERY tough to prove someone that didn't hit you caused the accident.  In a cage, you're better off letting them hit you than wrecking trying to avoid them.  Bike is obviously a different story.

To answer your orig question - search for Veypor (I think I spelled that right).  They are fairly expensive but very trick.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Speedometer/Tach swap.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 11:27:31 AM »
Besides the Veypor unit, there's several other options and this has been covered before. If you do a search of the board, you'll find a couple other threads with links to a few other outfits that make aftermarket instruments.

Sorry to heard of the accident and how it all washes out, but the important thing is you weren't seriously hurt. Really sucks the only way it would have been his fault is if you would have centerpunched him.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ttewejnodnarb

• Board Homesteader!
Speedometer/Tach swap.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 01:43:34 PM »
Sorry to here about your accident, good to here your OK.

Kedeg turned me on to Nordskog Performance Products.  I purchased the digital temp guage.  I haven't recieved it yet, so I can't exactly comment on quality, but they have some sweet looking guages.

Here is the address:

http://www.intellitronix.com/
Brandon
98 B12S

Offline ChrisB

• New user!
Speedometer/Tach swap.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 08:44:34 AM »
Thanks for the input guys! Got my baby back on the road this weekend. Put on about 200 miles, even went back to the scene of the accident ( something I just had to do ) . Purchased all the replacement parts from my dealer good turn around (3) days. Next time god forbid I will definitly have to give serious thought to a naked conversion though. Chris :banana:

Offline Seanybiker

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.madblaa.com
Speedometer/Tach swap.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 11:58:55 AM »
Good to hear your alright mate. You should go to Judge Judy. We all loves her over here. She might be nice to ya.