Author Topic: Exhaust Slip On  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Grissom

• TURBO TYPER!
Exhaust Slip On
« on: March 05, 2006, 10:24:30 PM »
I am thinking about getting a Yoshimura RS3 slip on to replace my stock can. So what can I expect if I don't rejet the carbs. Will it run better or worse than stock? (01' 1200S)

Thanks

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Exhaust Slip On
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 01:33:59 AM »
Yes it will run slightly better but it will be lean. You may have some flat spots. It runs even better if you shim the needles 1mm(.040) and open the mixture screws. I intend to do this within a month when I install my muzzy slipon.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline fritobandito

• Board Homesteader!
rs3
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 01:30:41 PM »
I had one on my bike, which hadn't been rejetted. I didn't care for the sound, so I went back to stock. The stock actually runs better for me since the carbs are still stock. The only difference I could tell was perhaps a bit more power with the Yosh. But, not a huge difference to be sure. The Yosh does look cooler if that's important to you.
Christ is Lord!

Offline Slider

• Board Homesteader!
Exhaust Slip On
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 03:17:42 AM »
Shimming of the main jet needle worked for me.
Course, I didn't know my butt from my elbow and the better of the two almost local dealers did it. He also drilled out the low speed jets and adjusted them. After that my Yoshi can started to work like gang busters.
It seemed to offer sigificantly more top end power and the low end stumbling went away. It now runs from 1.5k to 10k+. I'm not sure how much was gained on the upper end but the lower end is now parking lot happy. Last year a Hayabusa passed me with a paternal wave. I had the three Givi touring bags on but dang... there's nobody on the road. We were on one of the best lightly winding rural roads where neither traffic nor Smokey don't go much. With a slight headwind, I still speedo read as high as 155 mph. No I didn't catch him, but it was a rush and I wasn't far behind. It would seem the Givis are within the bikes wind envelope.
Bandit 12, Yoshi can, jets, KNN, Gen Mar risers, 3 Givi 36L hardbags

Offline fritobandito

• Board Homesteader!
busa
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 09:10:17 AM »
I doubt a Bandit could catch a Busa on a great day, but I'm sure it was fun trying.
Christ is Lord!

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Exhaust Slip On
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 03:00:25 PM »
Was the snorkle taken out Mike or was it left in there? I'm trying to figure out what the best would be. Ideally the snokle out would allow a little more air in there to breathe better but it may do nasty stuff unless I rejet.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline Slider

• Board Homesteader!
Exhaust Slip On
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 08:58:23 PM »
Quote from: "rider123"
Was the snorkle taken out Mike or was it left in there? I'm trying to figure out what the best would be. Ideally the snokle out would allow a little more air in there to breathe better but it may do nasty stuff unless I rejet.

No one has ever asked me this one. Don't know. The shop did the job when they did valve adjustments, front tire and other stuff. I assume it is still in there. This isn't the open filter version of K&N. I was afraid if you were ever splashed by a passing car in a storm puddle or a T shorm downpour...  it might be big trouble. I've driven 6 hours in rain -no problem.
Anyhoway... it works. The drivability is supurb. Long time ago I had a bike that was great stuff at 90 mph up. All was right in the world. The wind took the weight off your wrists and the ergos and engine were perfect. As I see it, such single purposed bikes aren't the answer anymore. Too many cops with doppler radar and too much bad ergos  fatigue to go very far in traffic. :cop:
With the mentioned mods, this has been to me, the best all purpose bike that will run with, or run rings around the cruisers and keep up with the sport bikes in all but a flat out race. It is lighter than almost everything else except the sport bikes... see ergos above. You guys know all this anyway.

Re fritobandito - catching a Busa with a Bandit. If the guy had tried I would've been dusted off, fer sure. I think he was just having fun. Me too.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Exhaust Slip On
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 05:06:44 PM »
If you could check to see if you still have the snorkle I would appreciate it. It's simple just take off the seat and where the tank bolts on to that cross beam is a hole, you can see the end of the snorkle just by looking through the hole where the tank bolts on.

Offline Slider

• Board Homesteader!
Exhaust Slip On
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 04:32:35 PM »
Quote from: "rider123"
If you could check to see if you still have the snorkle I would appreciate it. It's simple just take off the seat and where the tank bolts on to that cross beam is a hole, you can see the end of the snorkle just by looking through the hole where the tank bolts on.

Sorry... I would if I could. I store my bike for the winter out of town at my son's place. It is burried in a shed under mounds of blankets & tarps to prevent condensation. Then the rest of the junk normaly in the shed is piled on top of everthing, including light stuff on the bike at the back of it all. The door snows shut till the end of March earliest.

Can't oblige for some time.

Mike

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Exhaust Slip On
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 05:06:28 AM »
End of march! I'm riding now! Thanx anyway.

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Exhaust Slip On
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 05:19:00 AM »
I have a Yoshi TRS on my Bandit and yes, you could run without jetting it, but let me tell you that you will be wasting your money by just going with a pipe. I have the "Race" version TRS can on mine and still love it after 3 years.

I have Ivan's kit jet kit in mine, and with the combination, it is an entirely different bike.

Now The Snorkle.

The snorkle is there to create velocity in the airbox. (especially at low RPM) Removing the snorkle takes away from low RPM power, but does increase high RMP power. Even with my moded airbox, the snorkle makes quite a difference. The bike is boggy in the lower RPM range.

Think of it this way. Carbs work on vacuum and in order to create vacuum you need resistance. (it's a balancing act to get the optimum air/fuel combo right) Removing the snorkle without jetting the already too lean Bandit will make you run leaner. You will actually loose power by doing this in my experiance.

I do know of sevral people that took a stock Bandit and went up 1 size on the main, Pilot & shimmed the needles. That just shows you how weezy a stock B-12 is.

More air is a good thing to a point, but if you don't increase the amount of fuel to go with the air, you are actually taking a step backwards, if you have a minimum amount of fuel to begin with. (If that makes sense).

For The record.

Bandit Quarter mile time 10.98 @121.9 mph
Busa Quarter mile time 9.88 @ 143.88 mph

According to MC magazine