Author Topic: New Sprocket Kit  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Diskbrake

• TURBO TYPER!
New Sprocket Kit
« on: January 16, 2006, 09:03:18 PM »
My bike started feeling a bit crapy around the back end and then alot of noise started so i took her to the garage and they say my front, back and chain are all buggered.

ssssssssssssoooooooooooo...................... what is the best after market sprocket kit, i want one that wont rust as my standard one did within a week of grit being put on the road.

thanx
Bandit 600n black 1999
LeoVince SBK carbon fiber exhaust, Jackup kit, PowerBronze rear hugger, undertray, bellypan, custom number plate + holder, Datatool system 3 alarm and a lovely restrictor kit to top it all off.

Offline SHREDDER

• Board Homesteader!
New Sprocket Kit
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 09:46:01 PM »
I have JT sprockets they are inexpensive and I haven't had any problems with them yet.
Ride on!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
New Sprocket Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 10:40:31 PM »
I haven't had rust problems, even with the stock sprocket. I do store the bike in a garage and lube the chain after a ride in the wet.

I have never bought a kit, always bought my sprockets and chain as separate pieces. I really like the DID chain in VM (my first replacement) or ZVM (what's on it now). While the ZVM is a stronger chain, I think the VM is more than adequate for stock and mildly modded B12's. I don't have enough miles on the ZVM to tell for sure, but I'd be surprised if it outlasts the VM by any significant margin.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
chain
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 01:17:54 PM »
Go aftermarket, you'll get the best pricing.  I've had good luck with Dennis Kirk (www.denniskirk.com) they have good pricing and they're knowledgeable.  They did send me a wrong sprocket once but promptly shipped the correct one.  When your new sprockets arrive, be sure to count the teeth and compare with the old to make sure bolt patterns etc, line up.  Like your gearing? Nows a good time if you want to go up or down.

Offline rg54669

• TURBO TYPER!
New Sprocket Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 11:31:15 PM »
I just had a friend of mine replace the sprockets and chain at his shop.  I went with the DID ZVM chain and the OEM sprockets.  No rust yet, but only a few hundred miles on them.  
I can really tell the difference, my other chain was shot and my friend told me the sprockets could stay but would only be good for a few more miles.  
I checked Ron Ayers and Bike Bandit when I thought I was doing it myself.  I believe Ayers had the better selection and price.   Definately change the sprockets if you get a new chain, it will help it last longer and give you a smoother shift.  
My first chain lasted 13k.  I am hoping with the new sprockets to get more than that out of the DID.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Smokes!..What a Ride!"