Author Topic: Bike wont lock  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Dennislav

• New user!
Bike wont lock
« on: March 06, 2006, 08:51:23 PM »
I bought a 1996 Bandit 600 at the begining of last season and eversince I bought it I have been having trouble geting the key into the lock or park position.  It locked fairly easily acouple of times and then nothing.  I know the usual thing is to push the key down (it does move down) and turn to the left but it just wont budge.  Has anyone run into this problem or have any idea of what i can do?  Ive tried both keys that came with my bike in both orientations.  I think im going to thow some graphite down there and see if that helps at all.  If i can id like to avoid tearing the bike appart but if thats the only way i guess ill do what i have to.

Offline Buddha

• TURBO TYPER!
Bike wont lock
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 09:06:03 PM »
This may seem like a stupid question, but you do have the handle bars turned all the way, right?

Offline 97RedBird

• Board Homesteader!
Bike wont lock
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 09:28:59 PM »
Welcome to the site!

I had the same problem.   move the handlebars at the same time as moving the key.  my bike had frost develop really bad and the cylinder was locked with ice.  I would use something to lubricate the cylinder while you can also.

Good Luck.
- Nathan
96 B6S

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Bike wont lock
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 09:53:43 PM »
FWIW.... my bike has trouble hitting the lock position too - especially when the bars are fully turned.  Seems like if you have them slight off of full left it locks right in.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
Bike wont lock
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 05:01:48 AM »
i have the problem the other way around, i cannot unlock it sometimes. But i keep fidgetting and it usually comes out again. Tried some cleaning products already but to no avail..
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
Bike wont lock
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 05:37:06 AM »
Hit it good with some WD40, work the key, then blow it dry with the air before you use the graphite.
In other words, clean it, dry it, then use the dry lube.
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Bike wont lock
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 05:48:01 AM »
Quote from: "Farre"
i have the problem the other way around, i cannot unlock it sometimes. But i keep fidgetting and it usually comes out again. Tried some cleaning products already but to no avail..

Likewise.....but it hasn't happened for a while...it was really bad during the really hot spell we had - like all summer
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
Bike wont lock
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 11:53:39 AM »
gah! again upside-down! I have more trouble now in winter than in summer... But i can unlock it easier if the bike is still somewhat warm.

It's not such a big problem, it always turned, just the time trying it varies  :wink:
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
lock
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 02:17:20 PM »
Mine was sticky when I got it.  Use the extension tube on the WD40 can and shoot a bunch down into the lock cylinder.  When trying to lock the steering jiggle the bars a bit, it usually helps.

Offline Dennislav

• New user!
Bike wont lock
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 06:28:39 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and the replies.  Some WD-40, a bit of air, and some silicone spray did the job.