Author Topic: tire question  (Read 2072 times)

Offline the kid

• TURBO TYPER!
tire question
« on: April 25, 2006, 09:27:57 PM »
this is kinda a stupid question but i have been riding a bike back and fourth to work that has trials tires on it. i havent been out in the rain yet but i was just wondering if anyone knew how bad these tires were in the rain ( i dont like to fall) thanks

Offline Have Blue

• Board Homesteader!
Re: tire question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 12:40:01 AM »
If youre riding on pavement, put street tires on it.  Your butt will praise you for it.  :-)  :-)  If not, the next best thing may be to duct tape about 15 layers of Depends to the seat of your pants for a little extra protection.  LOL

Blue

Quote from: "the kid"
this is kinda a stupid question but i have been riding a bike back and fourth to work that has trials tires on it. i havent been out in the rain yet but i was just wondering if anyone knew how bad these tires were in the rain ( i dont like to fall) thanks
03 B12 S
79 XS400

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
tire question
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 10:52:45 AM »
This is on a Suzuki 185 dual sport, right? It's an appropriate tire for that kind of bike. I wouldn't put street tires on it unless you aren't using it off the pavement much. A trials tire is kind of a compromise. Not a great street tire, not a great dirt tire (though it is a favored pattern for serious actual trials work). Due to the openess of the tread, it will channel water well on rain soaked paved roads, but it does have less rubber in contact with the road compared to a real street tire. Most trials tires are also more square shouldered than a street tire of the same size, so street handling suffers some there, too.

Just depends on what you want out of the bike as to what tire you should choose.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Have Blue

• Board Homesteader!
tire question
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 01:10:30 PM »
I agree with that.  :-)  I guess I need to clarify my answer.  My intent was if the bike is used solely for commute on the street, it is better to have street tires.  Sometimes, what is intended and clear in my mind doesnt get interpreted that way.  hehehe

Blue

Quote from: "Red01"
This is on a Suzuki 185 dual sport, right? It's an appropriate tire for that kind of bike. I wouldn't put street tires on it unless you aren't using it off the pavement much. A trials tire is kind of a compromise. Not a great street tire, not a great dirt tire (though it is a favored pattern for serious actual trials work). Due to the openess of the tread, it will channel water well on rain soaked paved roads, but it does have less rubber in contact with the road compared to a real street tire. Most trials tires are also more square shouldered than a street tire of the same size, so street handling suffers some there, too.

Just depends on what you want out of the bike as to what tire you should choose.
03 B12 S
79 XS400