Author Topic: Do you really need the suzuki oil filter 'wrench'?  (Read 11377 times)

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
Do you really need the suzuki oil filter 'wrench'?
« on: April 21, 2006, 07:32:43 AM »
Sorry if this has been gone over before but I couldn't find it anywhere.  In my manual (650 bandit) it tells me to buy a wrench from suzuki to change the oil filter.  This thing looks like the top of an oil filter with a nut on it.  Allows you to tighten the filter better.

Is it really needed or is this just another dealer/manufacturer scam?

Thanks.

Jim

PS it looks a bit like this:

http://adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AWI&Product_Code=R1200GS_Filter_Wrench

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 09:18:19 AM »
If you plan on only using Suzuki filter, personally I'd get the Suzuki wrench.  Otherwise, just use a strap type wrench. The suzuki wrench only fits the Suzuki and HiFlo filters.
CROSS REFERENCE OIL FILTER PART #'S:

Suzuki 16510-06B01
STP SMO-18
HiFlo HF138
Amsoil SMF109
K&N KN-138
Wix 51359
NAPA Gold 1359 (same as WIX 51359)
Perf-Form J-509
Purolator ML6818/ML16818

Here's a strap wrench:

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 09:23:33 AM »
Since I use the STP-SMO18 filters... I just bought a O.F. 'socket' that fits that particular filter... I think they are like $3.00 U.S.

Like this:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 12:12:19 PM »
I have a plastic one like Paul's pic, but most of the time it slips when trying to remove the filter, so I end up using a pair of oil filter pliers. I got mine from Harbor Frieght.

They seem to fit in the confined space of the Bandit's oil filter better than any of my strap wrenches.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 12:16:46 PM »
I found the oil filter pliers to be a pain, and the Suzi oil filter socket is easy to use and wasn't unusually expensive.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 12:21:21 PM »
I just don't use the Suzuki filter, so their wrench is out for me.

I usually use the Perf-Form J-509, but have used the STP & Purolator filters a time or two each when I didn't have a Perf-Form on hand.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Tundrahog

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 02:02:44 PM »
I have a similar wrench as Paul's, bought at Wally world should work for any brand filter you would use on your bike.  Also works well on my wife's Honda Element.
Jon

2004 Suzi B12

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
wrench
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 02:23:34 PM »
Use the wrench, you're going to be reaching into hot pipes to access the filter and he wrench makes it quick with no fumbling around.  I don't like straps as they get oil on them and slip.  I've used Emgo filters with good results (No motor problems must mean its working) and they're priced right.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 03:05:03 PM »
I just use my teeth!! It's not so bad but the burns on the side of my head from the pipe are somewhat unsightly!  :grin:

You can just use any strap wrench. Try to find one that will fit in that tight spot.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline fritobandito

• Board Homesteader!
good post
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 03:09:52 PM »
I wish I had read this the other day since I just changed my oil for the first time. My regular filter wrench for the car was just too big, so I drove a screw drive through the side of the old filter and turned it with that. I had to hand tighten the new one. I've been keeping a close eye on it, I can tell you. :shock:
Christ is Lord!

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 04:58:18 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.  Had a great day with everyone's ideas.  Only thing I was worried about was my local hardware stores wouldn't show a 2006 650 bandit's oil filter.  But I skulked around and found out they are the same as the 600's from many previous years!  Picked up a fram for not much moolah and changed the oil in about 1.5 beers.  Most things, like riding the bandit, seemed to be intuitive, unlike my '88 suzuki savage.  Used a oil filter wrench from my days when i owned a kia car and it fit perfectly between the pipes.  

Wonder if the crankcase's capacity is just under 4 litres of oil for lunkheads like me that always spill a bit!?! :duh:

Anyway, thanks again and good riding!

Jim

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 05:19:57 PM »
Sh!t!  just read other postings on frams and apparently they really suck!  It's only going to be in there for 700 k. so maybe it won't hurt!

Crap!

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 05:33:23 PM »
I did the same thing J, when my bike was new...  before I new the Frams were all paper inside..  The end caps are cardboard, that's what most of the complaints are about...  They could come apart, though I've never heard first hand of someone actually blowing a motor because their Fram filter came apart.  All I've heard is complaints about the end caps, you'll be fine...  just don't keep using Frams, if you did happen to blow motor (even if it wasn't filter related), everyone would say "idiot, don't you know frams are crap"..  LOL!

BTW, The HiFlo is the exact same filter as the Suzuki.

And the Napa is the same as the WIX...

Just different names...  I'd bet they crank them out of the same mfr plant.

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 08:26:25 PM »
A kid i know worked in a grocery store and he said all the no-name potato chips and the hostess make came in the same truck!

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 08:59:34 PM »
Even lil debbie's and HoHo's ?!?!?!  I feel robbed... :lol:

Quote from: "jbrough7"
A kid i know worked in a grocery store and he said all the no-name potato chips and the hostess make came in the same truck!