Author Topic: Modding Stock Exhaust  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
Modding Stock Exhaust
« on: October 24, 2006, 10:34:51 AM »
Just read about it on Fast Larry's site. Has anybody actually tried this and are there consequences like rejetting or air problems? Fast Larry says you will get that deeper idle you are looking for along with a better mid speed growl topped off with a great roar when you twist her open. He also says, interestingly enough, that that stock can vibration will be eliminated. Need a general concensus before I dig in.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
Modding Stock Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 03:56:21 PM »
You certaily can do it, but I think it is harder to do right than you would think.  Also, you will still have the baffles in the mid-pipe and all the weight!  One of the biggest advantages of an aftermarket system is the weight savings... even a cheap system.
Also, it's nice to be able to put the OE unit back on if you decide to do so for any number of reasons and re-sell the aftermarket pipe... like I did!  :grin:
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Modding Stock Exhaust
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 11:06:45 PM »
Keeping the OEM intact also helps when you get in to strife with the EPA or the Police, you go home bolt the OEM back on, get it passed, then put the aftermarket pipe back on -

I've still got the OEM on my B12 (not for much longer I hope) but 'The Treasurer' has Staintunes on her M750 and the OEM Ducati pipes are back in the box and in the cupboard.  She's been questioned a couple of times by the Police about the noise her bike makes - but so far hasn't been fined.

Her best excuse yet was "Sorry Officer, I must I have taken off in the wrong gear"
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
Modding Stock Exhaust
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 11:30:10 AM »
Lol. Looks like I can't access my can at both ends anyways. And with the mini converter in there I had better leave well enough alone. I'll be getting the Yosh slipon with duel tips when available here in Canada or, at least NA.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Modding Stock Exhaust
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 12:41:13 AM »
Last year on my 05 B12 I was about to install my Ivan jet kit (jets and titanium jet needle) and mod both the air box (21 holes) and the exhaust  (Yoshimura race recommended).  I called Ivan on the phone and told him I was going to be smart guy and gut all the baffles the stock exhaust and make my own cage to pack the inside perimeter with fiberglass saving me $325. He told me he had done it and it was very difficult and had to be cut in two places and reminded me that if I ever needed the stock exhaust back  it would cost me $450. I got a flash light and took a look down the muffler expecting to see deeply down to the header pipe and I couldn’t believe how restricted with baffles the stock exhaust was. I took Ivan’s advice and bought the Yoshimura and put the stock on the shelf for future smog inspections, it must have weighed twice as much as a Yoshimura muffler. The Ivan jet kit worked excellent with minimal tuning. Every time I ride the bike I cant believe I put up with all that hesitation between 3k-5k RPM. Now its like the starship enterprise on takeoff.
 :motorsmile:

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
Modding Stock Exhaust
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 09:55:02 AM »
I look forward to the day.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline Samurai

• Board Regular!
Modding Stock Exhaust
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 11:44:03 AM »
CWo4Gunner.  Just curiosity-wise, which Yoshimura model did you put on your 05 1200 and did you buy on-line?  Looking to replace my stock with one.
SAMURAI
05 GSF 1200SZ Ltd
80 Honda CB650

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Modding Stock Exhaust
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 03:08:21 PM »
Quote from: Samurai
CWo4Gunner.  Just curiosity-wise, which Yoshimura model did you put on your 05 1200 and did you buy on-line?  Looking to replace my stock with one.

It is a Yoshimura RS3 stainless steel slip-on which attaches to the stock middle pipe. I believe it cost me $280 with shipping which was the cheapest I could find and recommended to work best with Ivan‘s stage 2 carburetor kit (about $120). I had heard that Ivan’s kits were the easiest to install & tune with the best customer service and I wasn’t disappointed the kit came complete (except exhaust) with comprehensive instructions and Ivan personally answered any questions.
    I do not recommend a modified exhaust system without a good jetting kit that modifies the intake side providing the needed increase in air intake and supported carburetor jetting enrichment. To do any three without the other two only waste money and creates an imbalance which only run the risk of either burn the valves out immediately or over time, at best lowered performance. Anyway installing a dyno confirmed stage 2 kit will produce a moderate performance increase, more importantly make the bike run much smoother and much more responsive.  Below are source of supply and step modifications I conducted to my own bike.

http://store.58cycle.com/product_p/yosh%20sr%20rs3%20gsf1200.htm

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/product~pf_id~4266176~dept_id~2252872.asp

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/bandit1200.htm

http://journals.aol.com/gatemachine/GUNNERGCWO4USCGRetired/entries/2006/04/05/modification-of-my-new-b12-motorcycle/684