Author Topic: Front Fork Seals leaking  (Read 9579 times)

Offline smitty225

• TURBO TYPER!
Fork Seals....
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2005, 02:56:47 PM »
I'm using 10w fork oil.

I went over to Heyser's at lunch today.  The guys were very cool.  They actually have a very different way of approaching this fix.  They told me that they leave the spring and spacer in the tube w/ the cap on.  This puts a load on the damper.  Then they simply use an impact gun to loosen the allen bolt.  If all they are doing is changing the oil, then they pour it into the allen bolt hole at the bottem of the fork.

Luckly I had the springs and a spacer with me.  I reassembled the fork (no oil, though) and put the cap on.  They simply hit the allen bolt with the impact gun, and it came right off.  When I put it back together, I'll hand tighten the allen bolt, add oil, springs etc, cap it and then use my ratchet to tighten the allen bolt.  If everything goes well...I'll be riding my bike TONITE!!!

Smitty

PS.  This discussion only applies to 1st gen (pre 2000) bandit 600's.  Everyone with a 2nd gen bike will have a different fork build.
Nakid' Green - 96' 1st Gen - B6
D&D Slip-on
Progressive Springs
Stebel Compact horn (139dB!)
jet kit
...I hate winter.

Offline smitty225

• TURBO TYPER!
fork seals...
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2005, 12:19:21 AM »
Welll....it took a little bit, but my bike is all back together.  I jumped up and down on the front end and no leaks.  Thanks to everyone for all their help.  

I'll be taking the bike in for inspection this weekend.  After that, stay tuned....I'll be putting on my D&D slip-on exhaust, K&N air filter, and (drumroll pleaze....) shimming the valves!!!

Wish me luck!!

Smitty
D&D Slip-on
Progressive Springs
jet kit
...I hate winter.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Front Fork Seals leaking
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2005, 04:33:38 PM »
You can stop the drum roll.... there's no shims on the valves!  :bigok:

They are a simple screw & locknut arrangement. The only way they could be easier is if they were hydraulic.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline smitty225

• TURBO TYPER!
valves....shims..
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2005, 10:57:22 PM »
Oops.  Did I say valves?   Well, you know whatever you have to do when you have a (correct me if I'm wrong) lean condition from adding the slip-on exhaust and K&N filter.
D&D Slip-on
Progressive Springs
jet kit
...I hate winter.