Author Topic: sill running poor? idle  (Read 3885 times)

Offline dbcanh

• Board Regular!
sill running poor? idle
« on: December 26, 2009, 06:09:53 AM »
Bandit still running poor on tick over? idle, been in shop twice, carbs off, checked float height, cleaned carbs, , new inlet o rings,  (see my posts under poor idle) for more detailed info. This has really got me stumped, any suggestions? the bike is now out of warranty. I dontknow what to do anymore, please help!!.

Offline dbcanh

• Board Regular!
Re: sill running poor? idle
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 01:52:16 PM »
God what a night mare this bike is, started up today, cold out 2 degrees c, took a while to warm up, it was ticking over.....but when i came to take it out, and off the center stand the idle went to 500rpm nearly stalling, funny thing is when you put it on side stand the tick over creeps up!! bike does not like been swayed about strange! ran for a few miles seems to run ok at high speed, but when i stop the revs are down to 500rpm bike struggling to keep running, took plugs out there very white, indicating lean. Back to the shop it goes Wednesday this is really pissing me off now!!.

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 11:15:45 AM »
 I think the last post in "Poor idle" thread could be where the problem lies. Did you check and make sure your not sucking air anywhere?(the boots that carbs slip into) Probaby unlikly,but I'd check for cracks. The Tech @ the shop your going to has alredy cleaned all the jets more than once,but the float hights could be the problem. They have been changed around as you've said and they may still not be right. When putting my jet kit in, the 1st thing was to check float hieghts.
  Hope you grt it sortted soon,good luck,Dan

Offline dbcanh

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 08:03:01 AM »
I think the last post in "Poor idle" thread could be where the problem lies. Did you check and make sure your not sucking air anywhere?(the boots that carbs slip into) Probaby unlikly,but I'd check for cracks. The Tech @ the shop your going to has alredy cleaned all the jets more than once,but the float hights could be the problem. They have been changed around as you've said and they may still not be right. When putting my jet kit in, the 1st thing was to check float hieghts.
  Hope you grt it sortted soon,good luck,Dan
The mechanic checked the float heights, he said they were spot, on has i did them spent three days doing them a right pain.

Offline mjj

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 04:47:39 PM »
Has the vacuum tap been checked? If faulty, it will not flow enough fuel. This in turn may give the impression of wrong float hieght.
Just a thought anyway.
Did your symptoms suddenly happen or get worse over a period of time?

Offline dbcanh

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 06:23:12 PM »
Has the vacuum tap been checked? If faulty, it will not flow enough fuel. This in turn may give the impression of wrong float hieght.
Just a thought anyway.
Did your symptoms suddenly happen or get worse over a period of time? No been like this since i bought bike in october 2009 only been on it 4 times if that!!

yeah checked tap looks ok , the problem got worse, tick over up an down, really worse in cold weather, revs down to 5oorpm, its back in shop has we speak, mechanic checked tappets, 1 and 4 intake were out, but he said not enough to cause problem there with  in limit, he said the bike was hunting really bad, he even had a slave tank on it, there going to put brand new carbs on for me, has they have tried everything, i even put new inlet manifold rubber o rings on.

Offline mjj

• New user!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 06:21:23 PM »
If they have had a slave tank on it and it does not run any different, it is definatly the float valves, or blocked jets/airways. No question.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 06:22:56 PM by mjj »

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 03:28:51 PM »
Has the vacuum tap been checked? If faulty, it will not flow enough fuel. This in turn may give the impression of wrong float height.
SNIP

Easy way to do this is to set the fuel selector to PRIME. If the bike runs exactly as before, it isn't the fuel tap. Don't forget to return the tap to RUN, or you could end up draining a load of fuel into the crankcase if there's a defective carb float valve. Engines don't live long with "GAS-OIL" in the crankcase.

Herb

Offline mobilemike

• TURBO TYPER!
    • Mikes Mobile Marine
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 08:00:57 PM »
Has he checked to see if the carb heater is working. Sounds like carb icing to me. 
01 1200 RED
high comp pistons, gsxr cam, ported head, full exhaust, fork brace, rick forks, penski shock.