Author Topic: Clutch Kit  (Read 2691 times)

Offline mfunston

• New user!
Clutch Kit
« on: May 02, 2005, 01:45:23 AM »
Need a new clutch for my 98 GSF1200. I heard the clutch is an issue with the 1200 and you should replace plates with carbon or kevlar plates. Can I get away with using the aluminum or should I spend the extra hundred? Any thoughts on the clutch kit from holeshot. I think it is "Dale's kit". Thanks for your thoughts

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
Clutch Kit
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 09:21:20 AM »
I have been dragracing motorcycles for a lot years, and the consensus among the dragracers is that the stock Suzuki clutches are better that any aftermarket clutch. If you do go with Barnnet kevlar, which is probablly the best clutch for street use, you need to use their steels also, so that the stack height will be right. On my 98 Bandit, I used the complete clutch setup for a 1986 GSXR 1100, which is a better clutch setup than the Bandit clutch.
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
clutch
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 01:40:15 PM »
I did the clutch on my old gixxer 1100 and was happy with the friction plates I got from EBC.  The metal plates were fine (after 61k miles) and had no warpage.  Use some calipers to check for adequate thickness and lay them on a pane of glass to make sure you have no warpage.  The only thing I didn't do was replace the diaphragm spring so I did have a little slippage (My gixxer was a '90 model and did have hi miles).