Author Topic: Torn Diaphram in Carb?  (Read 3776 times)

Offline silverbandit96

• TURBO TYPER!
Torn Diaphram in Carb?
« on: December 28, 2005, 03:04:30 PM »
I'm not sure if I did this now, or this is whats been giving me trouble this whole time, but I took off one of the throttle covers and looked at the needles  and noticed that the rubber diaphram that pulls the needle up and down has about a 1/4" tear/hole in it close to the very outside edge, it must have been pinched at one time putting the throttle cover on.  Right now i'm putting it back together as is, but does anybody have any idea where I can get new diaphrams?  Also, how bad do you think it'll effect how my bike runs?  Obiously that one cylinder will be a little lean and it'll probably idle a little rough, but I think it'll still be ridable.

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
diaphragm
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 04:43:04 PM »
I would replace it.  You will have a vacuum leak and the carb won't draw fuel properly.  These things are real delicate and are easy to pinch and tear.  The dealer may be expensive for this item.  I would try Sudco.  www.sudco.com

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
Torn Diaphram in Carb?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 05:55:09 PM »
As an emergency repair until a new diaphragm can be obtained I've used Room Temperature Vulcanizing (RTV) rubber in a tbe for a repair.  Just use a cmall coating over the tear and want until it dries (24 hrs or so) before reassembling.

Try Ron Ayers for replacement parts at <www.ronayers.com> then go to Fiche, then Suzuki, then your model.

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
Torn Diaphram in Carb?
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 06:25:12 PM »
Ron Ayers lists the diaphragms as part number 13507-17C01 for both the 1G and 2G Bandit 1200.  Their price is $14.93, plus S & H of course, probably another $6-7 or so.  

I think this is the Suzuki part number so you could check with your dealer for their price too.

Offline silverbandit96

• TURBO TYPER!
Torn Diaphram in Carb?
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 07:33:13 PM »
I have a 96' GSF 600, I can't seem to find the part.  On the blow up image 16 points to the diaphragm but on the side it calls it a piston.

Offline silverbandit96

• TURBO TYPER!
Torn Diaphram in Carb?
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 07:35:20 PM »
Looking closer, it seems the diaphragm/piston are one piece, which will run me about 60 bucks, is this correct?

Offline Airmotive

• Board Homesteader!
Torn Diaphram in Carb?
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 07:57:52 AM »
Quote from: "silverbandit96"
Looking closer, it seems the diaphragm/piston are one piece, which will run me about 60 bucks, is this correct?
'

Yeppers...that's the one.  Tore one last year and was rather shocked at the price to replace it.
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
Torn Diaphram in Carb?
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 11:38:15 PM »
Quote from: "silverbandit96"

I have replaced the diaphragm on GSXRs and others, the diaphragm comes off of the slide. I have never done it on a Bandit, but I believe that it is the same. About $5.00 the last time I bought one. I am in Calif. on vacation, will be home 1-03-06, I have a couple of sets of carbs, I will try one and see.
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Torn Diaphram in Carb?
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 04:16:04 PM »
BHolland, he's got a B6 and they don't use Mikunis... unless you knew that and have some B6 Keihen's laying around.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
Torn Diaphram in Carb?
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 01:05:28 AM »
I was thinking of the 12, I do have a set from a Katana that are smaller than the 12,s carbs. I believe that they are mikunis. I have replaced them on a ZX 9, which are Keihens
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki