Author Topic: Swing Arm nut cover  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Gary N

• New user!
Swing Arm nut cover
« on: August 03, 2005, 05:02:14 PM »
What is the best way to remove the chrome caps that cover the access holes for the swingarm shaft on a B12?  It looks like they pop right off but I don't want to put scratches in the paint by using a metal-eating tool of some kind.  Protective tape and waterpump pliers?  (I'm replacing the chain).

:thanks:
2002 Bandit 1200S - Focal point of extended mid-life crises.

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
Swing Arm nut cover
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 10:38:08 PM »
Rotate the cover around until you can see the "notch" -- then use a small screwdriver blade with tape wrapped around it to minimize scratching.

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
Swing Arm nut cover
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 11:01:25 AM »
CUT THE CHAIN!!
Dremel, hacksaw, sawsal, whatever.

Any aftermarket chain will have a link so you don't need to do any of that.
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline amboman

• Board Homesteader!
Swing Arm nut cover
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 12:05:40 PM »
What is right?  Cut  / break the old chain and use master link to join new one?  Is that safe?
Taken over by the dark side. Now riding a CB 1300 but visit my old bandit regular.

Offline Gary N

• New user!
Swing Arm nut cover
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 05:36:58 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I did not see the notch in the end cap.  It would be much easier to cut the old chain and replace with a chain that has a master link.  The chain I ordered is an RK XSO X-ring chain, which I was told, does not have a master link.  This will require removal of the swing arm anyway.  This will, however, keep my record of never doing anything the easy way unblemished.
2002 Bandit 1200S - Focal point of extended mid-life crises.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Swing Arm nut cover
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 09:08:32 PM »
Quote from: "amboman"
What is right?  Cut  / break the old chain and use master link to join new one?  Is that safe?

With a rivet style master link, there's no safety issues.

Don't know if RK includes a master link with the XSO, but according to their site, they make both a rivet style and a clip style master for the XSO chain in 530. My guess is unless you're buying the OEM chain from Suzuki, you're not going to get an endless chain, but one that will require the use of a master link.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)