Author Topic: Steering Stabilizer - Steering Damper  (Read 3184 times)

Offline sandifop

• New user!
Steering Stabilizer - Steering Damper
« on: August 04, 2005, 11:07:02 AM »
Please share your opinions on steering damper option for gen 2 Bandits. I've found references for Scotts (requires welding), Holeshot, and Ohlins (Universal). Scotts has the most documentation showing success, however, I hate hacking around with welding.
"Avitar? I don't need no stink'n avitar."

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 11:23:37 AM »
Are you certain you need one?
Play around with a different set of tires or even suspension hieght to build in some stability.
Food for thought.
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline sandifop

• New user!
Never Sure
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 11:51:28 AM »
Thanks for your response. I'm never sure until I roll on the throttle in a corner an hit chop.  This is the first bike I've had without one and I need my security blanket.

I was impressed by the lack of discussion on this topic for the Bandit so, even if I don't get one, I figured the opinions would be useful to others.

Offline buggyho

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 12:07:11 PM »
I've got a Holeshot on mine. I can't really speak for the others but I sure like mine. You don't realize how much it helps til you put it on and use it for a while. Plus with the Holeshot, noone will know its on there unless you show them and it's out of the way.
Good friends, good times

Offline sandifop

• New user!
Thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 12:25:36 PM »
The Bandit does well without one but I sure feel less secure rolling on the throttle on unknown roads. My nekkid Bandit will put the Holeshot damper out were everyone can see it. It looks a bit like a screen door closer on the nekkids.

Is the Holeshot rebuildable? Can you change the fluids?

Thanks.

Offline 00Bandit Rider

• TURBO TYPER!
STEERING damper
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 04:43:03 PM »
I am working on 6years on my 2000 B1200 & the only shake I have felt
has been when I set the front down a little crooked. i understand tho that
some front tires will cup & start to shake.

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 07:01:31 PM »
I just have a cheapo one on mine(actully it was given to me) ,a Daytona.Whats nice about the Scott is that you can switch it from bike to bike if you are lucky enough to have more than one. A good steering damper will run around the $400+ range. I was thinking about upgrading on mine. I have a 1st generation though. I sometimes get a good  high speed wobble in the back staight at the track. It may be partly the steel tube frame,I'm not sure. If I feel I need to spend the $, I might see what Penske has to offer. ( unless I get a good deal on something else)

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 09:51:05 PM »
Not to hijack the thread, but what exactly do steering dampers do?  I mean, I don't have ANY wobble or movement or stability problems, so what benefit would there be to me, for example?  I like adding accessories, but $339 for Walker's is kinda steep, although I trust his products.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 11:08:16 PM »
They help prevent or dampen head shake. If you're not getting any head shake, you don't need one.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline sandifop

• New user!
How Do You Spell Relief?
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 12:38:30 PM »
Ahhhh...thanks, all,  for adding more to the knowledge base and less to the opinion base. I think this will be useful for others in the future.

Credit goes to Suzuki for making a "parts bike" that has so little problem with head shake on an "outdated" steel frame. This old steel frame may be a bit heavy but mine doesn't have any problems handling 100b-ponies.

I was worried, for a time, that the bandit would be like my GS1000. That bike didn't need a damper; it needed a bullet. That beoch would go 60 cycles a minute when pushed into a curve.

Offline buggyho

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 01:35:32 PM »
While I agree that the Bandit does not NEED a steering dampner. When I get the front end light at track day at 115 over the hill it's still nice to have. Or when you hit a bump in a 90 mph sweeper, it's nice to have. No you don't need a Steering dampner on a Bandit but after I put one on, I won't be without one again.
Good friends, good times

Offline sandifop

• New user!
nod
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 02:25:34 PM »
i believe, too, that it is a safety issue. your car doesn't need seat belts and neither do you...until you hit a wall at 50.