Author Topic: How to remove the rear wheel??  (Read 16146 times)

Offline Wudy

• Board Homesteader!
    • Wudy.co.uk Freelance Web Development
Re: How to remove the rear wheel??
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 01:18:30 PM »
I used a hydraulic floor jack under the front forks (front wheel off), with a 1x12 between the jack and the forks.  Using the centerstand as a pivot, and adjusting the level of the front forks with the jack, it was easy to line up the rear wheel with the swingarm, so I didn't have to push or lift anything.  It was stable, and I'll use this method in the future to remove/install the rear wheel.

But that involves taking the front wheel off even if you only want the back?
I usually just put my foot under the wheel, and lift my toes up if it needs to go a bit higher. But this can start hurt if you don't get the axle in quick!

But using your idea (which is a good one), you could use the trolley/hydraulic jack under one of the fork legs, leaving the front wheel on.
- '93 Jap Import B4 VVC

Offline Scubadvr

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 06:46:13 PM »
But that involves taking the front wheel off even if you only want the back?
I usually just put my foot under the wheel, and lift my toes up if it needs to go a bit higher. But this can start hurt if you don't get the axle in quick!
True.  I had both wheels off to put on a new set of tires.  I tried your way at first, but had trouble getting everything lined up.  Then the idea hit me to jack the front end up to make the back end lower.
sic biscuitus disintegratum

Eph 4:29

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 01:39:11 AM »
You Know, you could do the same thing I did, with boards instead of a jack using the front wheel if it's still on.  I put the boards under the back wheel, but now that I think of it, I could have used a board under the front.  One that's cut into a wedge would work. 
The many ways of making it work.
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
John 3:16!

'08 1250S Bandit

Offline billincentraljersey

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 10:13:09 PM »
Actually, I did not use a board or a jack to lift the wheel for reinstallment.  I just put the wheel in place, axle ready, pull the bike downward to have the axle come down with it.  As soon as the axle lines up with the wheel, WHAMO!, a good bump and the axle is in the wheel hub.

I was paranoid about the c-stand folding up so I had a tie down between the c-stand and the front wheel.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Bragging Rights:  NJ to CA in 8 Days on my B1250ABS. Not quite ADV Rider.
07 B1250ABS, 90 Kawasaki Concours, 84 Moto Guzzi V65SP, 77 Yamaha XS360, xx-77 NYC Subway

Offline Jester

• Kevin McCann
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Me and my GSF1250S ABS K7
    • Jester Online
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 12:53:33 AM »
Actually, I did not use a board or a jack to lift the wheel for reinstallment.  I just put the wheel in place, axle ready, pull the bike downward to have the axle come down with it.  As soon as the axle lines up with the wheel, WHAMO!, a good bump and the axle is in the wheel hub.

I was paranoid about the c-stand folding up so I had a tie down between the c-stand and the front wheel.

I like that tip even more, and doesn't require any more equipment than a tie down to secure the centre stand.
2007 Suzuki Bandit GSF1250S ABS
"Keep the rubber side down!"