Author Topic: Cleaning the rad.  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
Cleaning the rad.
« on: August 28, 2006, 11:46:53 AM »
With my brand new 1200S I am constantly polishing and cleaning. Dreading the day when I get that first paint chip or ding. One thing I am curious about is how to best clean the rad without removing paint or bending fins. There are a few bugs in there now and a bit of dirt.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Cleaning the rad.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 12:10:18 PM »
="Rocketjock"]With my brand new 1200S I am constantly polishing and cleaning. Dreading the day when I get that first paint chip or ding. One thing I am curious about is how to best clean the rad without removing paint or bending fins. There are a few bugs in there now and a bit of dirt.
Guess we are talkin oil cooler? Let the bug's soften when wet, while washing the bike. After a bit of pressure from the hose back and front will flush stuff out. Don't use hi pressure air or water. After you get over the primping every bug spot! They want to be ridden not babied!!!!   :bigok:   :beers:  :beers:

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
Cleaning the rad.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 01:44:41 PM »
Oh, believe me. I ride her. All 150 mph worth.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Cleaning the rad.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 09:39:26 AM »
I just stand back and shoot it with the stream from a nozzled water hose.  When it drip dries, I spray WD-40 on it to displace any moisture AND keep the paint looking shiney black.

Don't waste too much time cleaning.  I used to.  It just isn't worth it.  You can't keep these boogers clean if you ride 'em any.  Save your polishing skills for your first Orange County Choppers chopper!  :lol:

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Cleaning the rad.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 09:51:16 AM »
I guess this may be viewed as off the wall like my infatuation with the stinko tires! But if someone would try it and let me know! Or maybe its practiced more than i think? The armorall cut 50% with H2O. This will soften the bug guts faster than anything, stop stuff from sticking, does wonders for everything on the bike (but brake rotors) Drench it, let dry to kinda sticky, buff!!! Will brighten and clean your headers with no work.  :beers:   :bigok:

Offline 0to60

• TURBO TYPER!
Cleaning the rad.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 05:03:14 PM »
Try a stainless steel grill cover from wild hair accessories. It is easier to polish then cleaning the rad. Also it is a very good looking mod  for your your Bandit.

:banana:

The only thing that matters is how fast you can get from 0 to 60, because top speed is secondary
The only thing that matters is how fast you can get from 0 to 60, because top speed is secondary