Author Topic: Bar End weight!!!!  (Read 7422 times)

Offline S_Kisby

• Board Regular!
NOTHING WORKS!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 01:36:27 PM »
I tried both the MS bar ends and the Bar Snake.  The weights actually seemed to make it worse and while the Bar Snake has reduced the vibrations it has only extended my "comfortable" riding time to about 30 minutes!!  

Clearer instructions would also help for those of us will low IQ's!  I did figure out that I should measure and cut the Bar Snake to allow for the stock bar end weights to be reinstalled, however the whole process of feeding the snake through and removing the pull wire seemed easy enough until I tried to push the Bar Snake back into the bar......yeah I know rubber contracts when pulled and EXPANDS when pushed!!  I finally had to take a drill to the rubber until I worked it down far enough to get the Manic Salamander weights on - they are shorter than the stock. :duh:

Next time I'll start drinking first!

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Bar End weight!!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 06:27:22 PM »
:lol: Kisby, your story is EXACTLY like my experience last month!  It took a litle bit of time to think of the drill, but like you, I ate enought away to get those long weight in place.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
Bar End weight!!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 08:55:43 PM »
I ended up taking a 3/8" drill bit and running it between the bars and the bar snake, I then reversed the drill and was able to get bar snake out of the bars far enough to lock onto them with a pair of vice grips and pull it back out.

After it was removed I did a best guess on the length and reinstalled it leaving a loop of wire long enough that I could cut one side of the loop and pull the wire out of the snake while it was still in the bars. I ended up jamming a 3/8" drive extension down the bars to hold the bar snake in position while pulled the wire out the rubber. I was the able to install my stock bar ends. This seemed to help a little but did not solve all of my problems my hand still goes numb after a good cruz.

Like you said it would help if the instructions gave a little more detail.
 :duh:

I hope this helps the next guy that trys to install one of these. :crybaby:
02 1200 Fighter
Do chickens fly? Yea and a Hell of a lot faster than reindeer!!!!

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
Bar End weight!!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2005, 11:31:29 PM »
I had a Bar Snake in a set of handlebars I had taken off. I decided to remove it and try it in my  K&N handlebars I'm now using so I removed the stainless steel Lockhart Phillips bar ends and dumped the lead shot and installed the Bar Snake and put the LP bar ends back on. Between those combinations, the lead shot seemed to work better for me. I then put the Manic Salamander bar ends on with the Bar Snake still in the bars. That combination worked well for me on my b6. I went up a tooth on the front sprocket and I got in a rear sprocket with 2 less teeth I'm going to put on soon. If that doesn't turn my little Bandit in to a decent traveling bike, I don't know what else to try.

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
Bar End weight!!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2005, 11:36:23 PM »
Of course, the Bar Snake was too long in the handlebars when I went to put the Manic Salamander bar ends on so I just slowly ran a large drill bit in the ends of the handlebars and it chewed up and pulled out pieces of the Bar Snake. I kept checking the bar ends and when they would go in without hitting anything I was done. That sure beat trying to remove and re-install a Bar Snake.

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
Bar End weight!!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2005, 11:02:56 AM »
I tried chunking the bar snake out at first but quickly lost my patience it was by accident that I discovered the rubber would spin up the bit, after a few tries I got it out far enough I could pull it back out.

Putting the stock bar ends weights back on seemed to help a little as far as fatigue goes but I think I will start looking into a new set of bars perhaps aluminum and a little wider. I find myself riding with my hands partially out on the bar ends.
02 1200 Fighter
Do chickens fly? Yea and a Hell of a lot faster than reindeer!!!!

Offline mklep

• TURBO TYPER!
Bar End weight!!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2005, 09:50:11 PM »
A carb sync. and heavy Throttlemeister was the trick for me!   :grin: Very smooth.  If you have to be riding on the highway at all, the Throttlemeister is the way to go on the Bandit.  It will take care of the vibes and allow comfortable highway cruising. "Two birds with one stone."