Author Topic: Speedometer Off by about 20%  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Baljo

• New user!
Speedometer Off by about 20%
« on: March 17, 2007, 12:11:57 AM »
My Speedometer shows less than acutually going! It's a B6 and I have timed with other rider. Could it be the sensor or maybe gearing change by guy I bought it from. Also will a digital instrument panel work and is it possible to use gas gauge on after market gauge. Any suggestions?

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 05:58:01 PM »
For the speedo get one of the ones used on bicycles, get one that goes up to min. of 100mph  :lol:
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline jeepskate99

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 09:02:14 PM »
I have been using a Garmin Quest for a speedo.  Quite accurate.
There are no stupid questions,  only stupid people asking questions!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 11:30:40 PM »
It's common for Bandit speedos (and most Suzukis from what I can tell) to read a higher than actual speed. The 2G B6/12 are usually off by 7-12%. Surprisingly, the odometers are usually VERY accurate (<1% error typically).

If your speedo is off the other way, I would strongly suspect the gearing is not stock if your B6 is a 2000 or newer. It's also possible a weird rear tire size could throw it off... but not 20%.

If your B6 is a 1999 or older, it's a mechanically driven speedo off the front tire. About the only thing here to alter the reading would be tire size... or maybe a speedo drive from some other bike that has a different ratio.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline jfudo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 01:06:30 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
It's common for Bandit speedos (and most Suzukis from what I can tell) to read a higher than actual speed. .

I believe this is the case for any new vehicle nowadays.  All the manufacturers prefer to err on the side of caution.  I don't think they want to be liable if the are wrong the other way.  10% error on the high side seems to be the standard (I should probably use the term 'high side' more carefully on a MC message board).

On the other hand, new vehicle odometers are almost always spot on.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 09:24:43 PM »
Quote from: "jfudo"
Quote from: "Red01"
It's common for Bandit speedos (and most Suzukis from what I can tell) to read a higher than actual speed. .

I believe this is the case for any new vehicle nowadays.  All the manufacturers prefer to err on the side of caution.  I don't think they want to be liable if the are wrong the other way.  10% error on the high side seems to be the standard (I should probably use the term 'high side' more carefully on a MC message board).

On the other hand, new vehicle odometers are almost always spot on.

In the Land of Oz our ADR's (Australian Design Regulations) allow for a 10% error on speedo's.  Most manufacturers, as you say, do err on the cautious side.  However, we have at least one State Government that only allows a 5% margin when issueing speeding fines.  I also believe that most speedos are not accurate much below 40km/hr.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"