Author Topic: Brake pads?  (Read 4161 times)

Offline salty

• TURBO TYPER!
  • I think i'm getting too old for all this!!
Brake pads?
« on: November 11, 2007, 11:09:38 AM »
Hi all,Does anyone out there happen to know the O.E.M Grade of pad fitted to the Front(or rear as well out of interest)on the mark 1 1200. i see all the options out there for GG and HH and other flavours,but wondered what the originals are.Reason for asking is i'm changing my four pots for six pots and braided hoses. i tend to be late and heavy on my brakes but i don't want to wear the front rotors out with harsh pads if not required,the O.E.M pads on my four pots weren't that bad,faded a bit when pushed hard but bareable.
Thanks in advance
Salty

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Brake pads?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 02:02:40 PM »
I'm not sure, but I've been running Galfer HH pads for 20K+ miles and my rotors are surviving fine - and they were a marked improvement of the stockers.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 11:28:38 PM »
I can't speak for a 1G 1200, but my 2G 600 were HH front and GG rear.

I went with EBC HH pads all around and noticed a definite increase in initial bite vs the factory Suzuki pads, although overall stopping power is about the same. (the change to steel braided lines DID increase overall power, however).

After about 10,000 kms on the EBC's, I have not seen any increase in rotor wear, but I also have NOT specifically measured them either, but they sure look fine.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Heaven Bound

• Board Homesteader!
  • Crash Test Dummy
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 07:22:26 PM »
Speaking of brake pads...just had to put new pads on the front of my 2G 1200S and the dealer had the 'HH' in stock.  So I went with it.  Early results indicate better stopping power.

My question is about how the thickness is measured, and what does Suzuki list as the minimum thickness for a 1200.  The dealer looked up in his book and found 0.16" for the front, which works out to about 5/32".  According to my measuring stick, that means the thickness would have to be measured from front to back, including the backing plate which the pad material is mounted upon.  On my particular set of pads, the wear indicators are still visible but the mechanic refused to pass them for the state inspection  :annoy:

I want to find a definitive source to take back to them for their reference so it is not just my word against theirs.  Any sources?
Paul D.
04 GSF1200S (Charcoal Grey)
...TRASHED

My Other Digs Bikers4Christ     Listen to KLOVE online or find a station near you.

Offline salty

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 07:53:26 PM »
Hi Heaven Bound, I think the 0.16" your dealer is quoting is the service limit for the front rotor wear (4mm in metric front, 4.5mm rear) ,Not the pads .AFAIC the pads are allowed to be down to the wear marker,usualy 1mm pad left on a bike. i'll try to find out for sure.
in the U.K. they check them on a rolling road for stopping power against weight. so in theory you could be down to the backing plate (not recommended) and still have a pass if produces sufficient poundage on the gauge.
Salty

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 03:47:33 PM »
I am running HH pads on the front and rear.  My original pads were still good, but these were given to me free.  They seem to have helped some.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 04:09:13 PM »
I've heard the Carbon Lorraine pads are the catz azz on the bandit.

Offline salty

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 04:44:23 PM »
ive also heard good things about Carbon Lorraine pads, the cost scares me though, also i'm worried about rotor wear and i was led to believe these can be a tad harsh on them,although their info says  not? (paraniod about rotor wear because they were replaced with new genuine ones when i bought the bike with less than 7000 miles on it, and i saw the receipt for the parts,Ouch!!).Looks like HH front and GG rear then, Any opinions on Goldfren Ceramic Pads? they seem a reasonable price. (you've probably gathered i hate parting with cash).
Cheers
Salty

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 05:15:36 PM »
Rotors should not wear out in 7000 miles... and especially not because of what type of pad you're using.

Carbon Lorraine, DP, EBC HH are all good pads, IMO

Offline salty

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 07:22:13 PM »
your,right, the rotors were shot because the previous owner had driven the bike with the front brakes partially seized and didn't know  :shock:, his loss my gain. I have found some carbon lorraine
SBK on e-bay at a reasonable cost so i might try them on the front and some EBC gg on the rear.
Thanks to all who have offered advice
Cheers
Salty

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 03:33:30 AM »
I have seen very few rotors go bad from pad wear.  I have seen a few go bad where the rotor is attached to the other half.  The big round rivets get loose after a while in some cases.  If you want expensive rotors, try GP ceramic rotors. I read that they are something like 3000 euro's a piece.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.billsbikesnservice.com
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 10:25:25 PM »
I have seen very few rotors go bad from pad wear.  I have seen a few go bad where the rotor is attached to the other half.  The big round rivets get loose after a while in some cases.  If you want expensive rotors, try GP ceramic rotors. I read that they are something like 3000 euro's a piece.

I wore out my front and rear rotor on my DR in 17K mikes. Both of then were worn past the limits. But 98% of my driving is stop and go traffic.