Author Topic: Carbie problems  (Read 2796 times)

Offline travellukie

• TURBO TYPER!
Carbie problems
« on: July 25, 2006, 10:51:37 AM »
hi, Im having carbie problems still, Im living in Japan and own a B250 '93', because of the lack of language skills, I had given up on communicating with the local mechanics and decided to live with the shitty clogged up carbies, but I cant any longer !!  (unable to do the mechanics myself as there is no room here, I have no shed or no tools, so I have to use a mechanic)..

I realise I have to have the carbies rebuilt, my question is...... what is the going rate (american $$) for this type of work??  I am also going home to Australia for a two week holiday this weekend, am thinking is it worth it to buy a second hand set of reconditioned carbies and bring them back ?? Does anyone know what the price might be for this?? (rough price) ??

I have been quoted $400 (american $$) to rebuild the carbies from two local mechanics..

any help would be great, thanks

Offline travellukie

• TURBO TYPER!
Carbie problems
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 11:20:49 AM »
hi,

Just noticed a posting for carbie cleaner called ........"Chevron TECHRON® Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner........ am I only fooling myself if I think that this product my help my cause ??

cheers

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Carbie problems
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 12:51:59 PM »
Shame that I am not back in the states myself.  I would've been able to do it for half that cost.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
Carbie problems
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 01:03:25 PM »
it cant hurt to try...If it works you just saved about $390. I pulled the tank off my 1200 and poured seafoam down the fuel line, filling the bowls up with pure cleaner and let it sit for a night. Changed my plugs out and was up and running again.
01 1200s

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
techron
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 04:45:57 PM »
Techron did the trick for me.  My B6 was coughing and sputtering all the way down the street.  I dumped in a whole bottle at the next fill up.  I ran it a few miles to get the stuff in the carbs and let it sit a few days.  All is good now.  I went on a good 300 mi ride and now it runs better than ever.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Carbie problems
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 05:08:22 PM »
I would pull the tank and try the seafoam/carb cleaner trick. I'm sure in Japan they have some sort of product that emulates seafoam, or maybe better! As far as taking the carbs off and cleaning them yourself, you can do that on the street as I've done it on a GS400 in a day. Since the bike is a twin all you have are 2 carbs which are going to be a hell of alot easier to deal with. THe $390 you were quoted probably includes new parts for the carbs which it may or may not need. It may just need some carb cleaner and some  compressed air through the jets, that usually fixes %90 of the problem, which on a twin carb setup would probably take maybe 2 hours to do. All you need in tools is whatever is in the stock tool kit. Maybe a 10mm socket to take the tank off then a Phillips screw driver to take the carbs out of the boots and to take the float bowls off. You may want to take one of the float bowl screws to a hardware place and get some spare screws or better allan bolts to replace the stock screws. It's not that hard and saves you $380 considering you'll spend 10 dollars on some carb cleaner and a phillips screw driver. If you have to take the carbs off plan on spending 4 hours. 1 hours to get them off, 1 hours to soak in carb cleaner and 1 hour to get them back on there and another hour just in case. If you get it all running and the only problem is the carbs are out of sync(Don't take them out of the bracket or turn the adjustment screws and you're fine) It only costs you say $50 bucks to get them back.

You obviously park the bike somewhere that is all the space you need. Have you drained the float bowls yet to see if there is any rust particles gumming up the works? You can open the float bowls then set the bike on "prime" for a few seconds and it will flush some of the crap in the floats out. My friends bike had that problem. The jets were fine, but there was crud in the bottom of the bowl so everytime he drove the crud would get agitated and gum up the works sporatically. Finally we flushed his float bowls and he was all good again.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.