Author Topic: New Question  (Read 10979 times)

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: New Question
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 10:28:10 AM »
carbs have been cleaned and petcock is not leaking...

That is a good thing...

I have noticed the fact that if you leave petcock on PRIME that fuel will sometime mix with the oil in the crankcase... Is tthat correct?

Yes... in the prime position fuel can leak past the floats although not always.

In a few weeks I will be back in CA and will be able to take the heads off and get to the valves and redo the carbs maybe I will get a jet kit and maybe I'll saok the entire assembly...

I would pass on the jet kit until you get the bike running in stock form.  No sense creating more problems without fixing the ones you have now.

I have read about the different kits here on the forums..

...Also is there a stage 2 or is it just stock and stage 1?

Best results are with Holeshot, Factory Pro or Ivan's based on other users.... can't comment specifically on the CA models.

Other than "stock" set ups there are Stage 1, 2 and 3.  When it's time I'd shoot for the Stage 1 kit on a B6.

'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline lighter223

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 12:06:11 PM »

Would fuel in the crankcase cause running problems in the very very short run,  I mean an engine should start and run even if it had no oil in it.

I would pass on the jet kit until you get the bike running in stock form.  No sense creating more problems without fixing the ones you have now.

The kit would come after I have taken off the valve covers and checked them and replaced the plugs... but I would do it after I got back to CA because I am in MI and of course after I got the bike running... There are things I just cant do here... NO garage and no time...

Other than "stock" set ups there are Stage 1, 2 and 3.  When it's time I'd shoot for the Stage 1 kit on a B6.

What would a stage 2 or 3 do for a 600
A boat's a boat, Lois, but the mystery box could be anything. It could even be a boat!  You know how much we've wanted one of those..!

Rember that time we got the mystery box instead of the boat?

Peter, that was 5 minutes ago!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 01:59:29 PM »
If the only mods to the bike are a jet kit and exhaust, the only advantages a Stage 2 or 3 will get you is a little less weight from loosing the airbox and an easier time with maintenance.  Sadly, no power gains with the the higher stages on a stock B6.

If your 600 is a 1G, you'll change the looks a little with the airbox gone and riding in heavy rain can cause some water to get sucked in which will lower performance and possibly make it miss/cut out (depending on how heavy the downpour is.  The 2G hides the pods behind the sidecovers, so rain doesn't bother it until you feel like you should be wearing a snorkel as part of your riding gear.  Of course, if you modify or remove the 2G's sidecovers, you will experience similar negatives to the 1G.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline lighter223

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 09:52:19 AM »
ok ok all good info...  what if I put that gsxr 750 and its carbs in there would where be any advantages of going higher than stage 1?
A boat's a boat, Lois, but the mystery box could be anything. It could even be a boat!  You know how much we've wanted one of those..!

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 04:36:32 AM »
Hell yeah, butt it has its down falls, :trustme:
Did the stage 3 on the REX, hell yeah yeha, giddyup yippykiaa M/F. :yikes:
But don't park it where it may get wet, motor don't like to start with a gut full of H2O :annoy:
And riding it in the rain is even more fun :banghead:
Think long and hard before going the stage 3 route. :motorsmile:
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline lighter223

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 11:09:28 AM »
Well I am  going back to sunny SOCAL and it's raining now but not for summer :thumb: adn I dont ride when it rains... I have a car for that....

Stage 3 for a 750 jixxer eh...  any other shortcomings other than the wetness?

ippo

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 11:36:24 AM »
"when it rains" 4-6 day/year??  I have in whole season 55-60 days when it not rains. :banghead:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 02:57:53 PM by ippo »

Offline lighter223

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 12:13:05 PM »
well I missed out on a whole season of riding due to me being in Northern MI. And I got a screwed up bike because of it. :headscratch: and I dont know why...

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 11:04:12 PM »
are you still in Michigan ? I could look at it if you are in the south east of Mi. Mark
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline lighter223

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 06:24:04 PM »
No I am up in traverse.  But thanks for the offer I am leaving in about 4 days and then I will be in CA where I can take apart the engine....

If I were staying I would pay for you to come up here maybe..

And sorry all I have been gettting ready to move and have not had alot of extra time..

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 11:43:19 PM »
I now have a tool for getting to the a/f screw (had a ratcheting 90♣ screwdriver, got a flew extention).

I set the screws 2.5 turns out before I put the carbs back in.  Too rich..., I think)
 So I used the tool and turned each one 1 turn out(from seated)  It's doing the same thing though....

There is white smoke coming out of the exhaust that is, for as far as I know, unspent fuel.

It does not rev up past 5k and Idling is rough if it does die

I do have a video:

http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/lighter223/?action=view&current=MOV00506.flv

I ran the seafoam through it after I cleaned the carbs.

The carbs need not be snyched

Anyone else have something like this or just know about it...

Did you check ALL the jets against the shop manual to see if they are the correct ones? What you said about the one idle screw being way out sounds to me like the carbs were fiddled and diddled with at some time.  The video sound track sounds like the engine isn't doing so well at idle now either (not smooth).

Offline lighter223

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 11:37:30 PM »
Sorry, I have just gotten done with an long and extensive move to CA so I havent been able to get on here....

Anyway... got to warmer weather and nothing has changed.  Will be changing oil and filter because I know there is gas in there. I will be taking off the head cover to clean everywhere.

But right now I need help adjusting the floats.  Is there anyone out there to walk me through it?

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 10:32:02 AM »
Check out the Stage 1 Jet Kit install PDF (Members Section Downloads) and there's a good picture of the process buried within.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline lighter223

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 12:56:21 PM »
OK ok thanks for that.. just what I needed.

Now I have another question..

Has anybody had any good luck putting Seafoam in your oil... I ask because I was going over "oild flushes" and most say no transmissions(no motos) and what about the other addditives in moto oil for the clutch.  Is there anything that any of you have used to clean out sludge or debris from the crankcase?

I want to do it even if it doesnt have to be done...  I would much rather take off the oil pan an clean by hand but its not in the deck of cards right now...

thanks,
anthony :bandit:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009, 12:36:04 PM »
If you've had gas in your oil recently, that probably cleaned it up for you already.

If you change your oil as recommended by the book (or better), you shouldn't have to worry about sludge buildup.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)