Author Topic: Bars wobbling?  (Read 5353 times)

Offline oldandslow

• TURBO TYPER!
Bars wobbling?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 11:38:11 PM »
My '02 B12 had a bad wobble with the OEM Michelin Macadams, and it got worse as the tires wore (and cupped).  Seems like a common ailment.

Finally replaced (at 12K miles) with a matched set of Conti Road Attacks and now, with 1k miles on the new tires, I still get a very slight wobble if I let go of the bars and coast.

I'm guessing it's not the tires, so I'll check/tighten the head bearings first (and confirm tire pressure), add a steering damper if necessary.

Good luck!
Rob
Gettin' wet commuting every day in the SF Bay Area rain!
Rob in HMB (escaped from KC)
'02 B12, Givi E52 topcase, National Cycle Plexistar2, Kimpex grip heaters, Suzuki case guards

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Bars wobbling?
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 06:39:33 AM »
Quote from: "oldandslow"
My '02 B12 had a bad wobble with the OEM Michelin Macadams, and it got worse as the tires wore (and cupped).  Seems like a common ailment.

Finally replaced (at 12K miles) with a matched set of Conti Road Attacks and now, with 1k miles on the new tires, I still get a very slight wobble if I let go of the bars and coast.

I'm guessing it's not the tires, so I'll check/tighten the head bearings first (and confirm tire pressure), add a steering damper if necessary.

Good luck!
Rob
Gettin' wet commuting every day in the SF Bay Area rain!

Couldn't disagree more...replaced the Crapadam front with a Metzler M1 - wobble gone - no wobble at all - front end stable - no steering damper required. :yesno:
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bars wobbling?
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 08:00:37 AM »
I have my rear end raised over 1 1/2 " and curantly have a 60 seires front and I still don't have a front end wobble.Although I have a steering damper,that isn't what you need . You need to fix the wooble not mask it. Then if you want to add a damper you can,but you won't need one.
          Dan

Offline DaveG

• Board Homesteader!
Bars wobbling?
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 04:43:23 PM »
trust us it's the tire

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Bars wobbling?
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2006, 09:44:46 AM »
="smooth operator"]I have my rear end raised over 1 1/2 " and curantly have a 60 seires front and I still don't have a front end wobble.Although I have a steering damper,that isn't what you need . You need to fix the wooble not mask it. Then if you want to add a damper you can,but you won't need one. Dan
If his advise is .50 as good as he rides you need a tire! All i got to say is stinko 009 has the groove, ran at 40psi and no shake for over 12k miles. Only time that happened to me was the end of Conti force crappy front.   :bigok:  :motorsmile: