Author Topic: Sick Bandit 1200s  (Read 9067 times)

Offline Bikertim63

• New user!
Sick Bandit 1200s
« on: December 03, 2013, 12:02:26 PM »
I have a bandit k2 1200s (02 reg)  I have had nothing but trouble with it running right. First, it misfired a lot so I have replaced all the float valves. Then I got it it to fire on all four. Then it stopped again and I found out only 2 spark plugs were working. I have put different coils on and now I have four beautiful sparks but now it is misfiring again. Does anyone have ANY ideas before I scrap it. I have had it nearly three years and rode it a handful of times and I have just had enough.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Sick Bandit 1200s
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 01:12:55 PM »
Firstly...  :welcome: to the site.  I'm sure you'll get some help here so don't give up just yet.

A couple basic things to look for - if you haven't already - fuel hose routing, tank venting, clogged air filter, leaky petcock, A/F screw settings, sticky choke cable...  all simple to check out.

Keep us posted on what you find.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline BanditAllan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 09:07:39 PM »
It sounds like your problem is either fuel or ignition related. In regards to fuel related issues have the carbs been cleaned properly and adjusted correctly to spec, if not, that needs to be done first.
All the carb o-rings will need to be replaced as well as all the jets removed and the carbs ultra sonically cleaned.

Hows the tank for cleanliness and the petcock for correct operation with the vacuum tubing??
As for the ignition you say you have spark but how good are the plugs, they can be killed or fouled very easily by a badly running engine with carb issues.
Dont give up, and if you cant do this work yourself, get someone whos proficient at working on the engine to set it up correctly for you.

Offline Bikertim63

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 03:16:45 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys. Will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks again Tim

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:00:07 PM »
Don't scrap it yet! Let's fix it!

Ok the best thing to do is do it in steps:

Step 1:
Spark

1. Do you have spark on all cylinders AND are the appropriate leads going to the appropriate cylinders? Ie from left to right is 1 to 4. If you, by accident put lead 2 on cylinder 1 it's not going to start even if you pray to the Dark Gods in your basement. Be 100% sure that the appropriate leads are going to the appropriate cylinders. Normally they are marked however sometimes the number tape falls off or gets dirty. If they are stock leads they will be numbered. If they are not and the previous owner didn't mark them it gets a little tricky. Are you confident that the leads are going to the appropriate cylinders?(I've screwed this up once before on a few bikes by being inattentive)

2. Spark plugs and gapping: Are you getting a solid spark on all spark plugs and are they gapped properly? If you are unsure(weak spark) and have them gapped properly. Don't gamble just go out and bite the bullet and get a new set of plugs. A spark plug gap tool is like $2 and I carry one underneath my seat so they are not expensive. If they plugs look good make sure they are gapped correctly. I believe the SAE gap is .024 - .028 inches. If the gapping is too small or too large you will get a weak spark.

3. Coils. I know you've said you replaced them, but this is another matter. I have a .pdf service manual version of your bike(I have the same just 2005, pm me for it) which has the coil testing procedure. If you have a decent multi-meter with an Ohm resistance function you can do it yourself. If not, best to maybe bite the bullet and get them tested at a shop. Chances are though, if you have a good spark on all plugs you should be good regardless. Even if not I would buy some new leads and caps before fooling around with the coils. If your confident about the spark, on to step 2:

Fuel/air:

Just a precursor question. I believe in your post that you said you change out the floats and re-installed the carburetors correct? Was there a specific reason why you though that necessary? Did you smell alot of gas? Was there a lack of gas? Or were you just trying to eliminate a possible problem? Please don't think I'm trying to be obtuse or anything I just want to know what you were thinking which may help us diagnose the problem.

When you re-installed the floats did you set them to the correct float height(13mm)? How you measure it is from the top of the carb body(the line after you take the bowls off) to where the float needle is just touching BUT NOT compressing against the float valve. Float height is extremely important especially on little or light throttle operation. I found the best way is to stand the carb bank on its side and gently tilt the bank until the floats get resistance from the float needle to the needle valve then measure from there. Since I have the same bike the float height or distance from the top of the float body(the split after you take the bowls off) to the lower most part of the float(they are curved) should be 13 mm +- 1.0mm. If you need instruction please pm me and I'll help you out or I'll even at the end of this post my real email address as I get so much spam it won't matter if you email me. It's VERY important.

1. Ok lets say that the float height is correct or at least within the ballpark. Let's break down the fuel delivery system so that you can see if the petcock/vacuum tube may be causing an issue:

1. Disconnect the tank and vaccuum tube from the petcock side not the carburetor side.
     2. Once the tank is off, create a temporary fuel tank by buying a half liter of coke or some other plastic bottle. What I did was get some 1/4 inch clear tubing and drill a hole in the cap of the bottle and seal it with some silicone or hell even duct tape, and pop in the tubing. It's going to last maybe a few days for testing. The vacuum line for the petcock will be on number 4. You need to plug that. I use just a short 1/4 bit from any number of multi-bit screwdrivers. If not you will be lagging like crazy on that cylinder.
     3. What the general gist is. Is you want to feed the carburetors manually by squeezing the bottle only as necessary(if it back blasts stop) which will enable you to determine what the the carburetors are doing when they are feed properly without having the weight or the fuel flow of a whole full tank of gas in case the petcock is faulty(mine was, since rebuilt it)
     4. If the squeeze bottle is not to your liking you can recruit a friend to help you by getting a fairly large funnel, attaching it to the fuel line and hold it up(so it doesn't spill) duct taping the funnel and the fuel line together temporarily and doing the test again.

Starting instructions:

With the fuel system isolated and you've either filled the fuel line with fuel and up to half of the funnel can take:

1. Thottle OFF
2. Choke out to almost full
3. Hit the starter for no more than 10 secs continuously at a time
4. If the engine catches, still no throttle, adjust the choke to keep RPM's under 2500 RPM

There are a few more tricks in the bag and if you need some more help there are alot of people here to help you out. If you need the service manual email me at:

christechpro@gmail.com

We can even talk on the phone if you wish I've helped a few guys here out that way. It doesn't sound catastrophic, it's probably some bullshit problem that can be fixed easily as these engines are VERY hard to kill. I hope this helps,

Chris

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:36:37 AM by rider123 »
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.