Author Topic: Sport touring tire for 1250 Bandit?  (Read 25369 times)

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Sport touring tire for 1250 Bandit?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 11:50:36 AM »
I am considering looking at a dual compound tire when this one wears out.  Seeing as I do not ride in a manner that is real hard on tires I may be able to get some serious miles from a dual compound donut.

I'm afraid the "dual compound" gimmick doesn't work as advertised, at least not for me. Every tire I ever owned got a major flat spot by the time I was done with it. Dual or single compound did not seem to make any difference at all. This includes my brother's track day scrubs that were 90% pre-worn on the sides. Granted, there's not that many twisty roads where I live and I'm not dragging my footpegs in corners, but a square is a square.
Vlad lives in Toronto, Canada and rides http://bandit.xxc.cc

Offline mi1lertm

• Ride it like your Dad bought it for you
  • TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 05:15:57 PM »
I have seen Mic R2's go well over 5K.  Yes they do square off in the center as do most, however, one of my ridding buddys (VFR 800) does very nice on his set.  Had over 7.3K miles and still had tread in center.  I would say that they handle as well (or better) then the RA's but last 1.5 times longer.  Not bad for a few extra $'s.

Mark
2007 B1250
HS full stage 2 W/4-2-1 header & K&N
Renthal ultra L/R bars
Yosh TRS/HS fork brace
Skidmark DB, 46T rear sprocket (+3)
Ohilns 715 rear shock

Offline rmedmonds

• Board Regular!
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 10:00:34 AM »
I'm riding a 2007 1250ABS and ride with a much more experienced and aggressive ex-racer on a 2nd gen 1200.  We've both been running on the Pilot II's for about the last six months and have nothing but raves about them.  They're holding up really well and neither of us have come any place near getting them to break traction--either in curves or in the wet.  They're a little bit pricey, especially here in Japan, but I can honestly say they're worth the price if you are commuting or  doing the curvy stuff.
I'm starting to think that the stock Dunlops are 'defective'--I burned through mine pretty quickly too.   :duh:
R.M. Edmonds
'07 Red 1250ABS

Offline Jester

• Kevin McCann
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Me and my GSF1250S ABS K7
    • Jester Online
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 01:15:41 PM »
I've got 5400km on my stock Dunlop Sportmax D218 tires and I'm into the wear bar and looking for a new tire too. I tend to hit the corners pretty fast but its the center of the tread that's gone for me. For a heavy bike it handles like a dream but I'm 230lbs and riding two-up with the wife you're effectively doubling the weight of the bike. Despite all that weight the bike is more than willing to take off like a rocket. On hot dry roads that is bound to burn up the rubber.

With all that being said I think I'm going to give the Sportmax Roadsmart a shot. My front stock tire is still holding up great -- no cupping and lots of tread left -- and I'd like to keep the tires matched as much as possible. I watched a couple of videos on YouTube yesterday for the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart during their pre-production testing. One video was from Dunlop so obviously biased, the other was from a third party group -- MCN biking news and reviews -- that was invited to the testing. From their testing the Dunlop out performed the competitors, if just slightly, on the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA4wm0WY83I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Agz_iwOfxw

Hope this info helps and I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on how they hold up.
2007 Suzuki Bandit GSF1250S ABS
"Keep the rubber side down!"

Offline 02bandito1200S

• Board Regular!
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 02:51:29 PM »
UPDATE,

Replaced the Road Attack (rear) just over a month ago. I ended up getting about 8800 miles out of it.  I replaced it with a Conti Motion.

The Motion had good grip, but had a slightly different profile than the RA and did not feel as settled in the corners. I never got to try it in the wet. It was replaced last week do to an unrepairable puncture and was replaced with a Conti Force as that is what my local shop (Speedwerks in Dover DE) stocks.

So far the Force feels very much like the RA. Time will tell what mileage I get from it, but it seems like a very good tire.

Offline icemakk

• Board Homesteader!
    • My web site
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 03:03:01 PM »
Just replace my Michellin Pilot Road 2.
Got 22,000km out of the other one!!  :thumb:
Good tire for fun, fast distance.
Once I thought I was wrong...but I was mistaken.

Offline footballboy3

• New user!
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 04:00:06 AM »
My Versys had crappy dunlops that wore out around 3500 miles I believe. Replaced them with roadsmarts that seem to be much better all around.  my bandit came with roadsmarts as well and just today I finished off the chicken strips!  much more confident with the roadsmarts on both bikes. 

I don't have any experience with them, but several of my co-workers absolutely swear by Michelin Pilot road 2's. 

Offline icemakk

• Board Homesteader!
    • My web site
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 04:13:05 AM »
the stock Dunlops sucked so bad I will never buy any other Dunlop offering. Not a good sales pitch with the crap they give as OEM
A smart company would offer better rubber on the contract if they wished to get another sale down the road in my opinion.
For now I am sticking with the PR2' s until I find something better.  :motorsmile:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 11:21:39 AM »
the stock Dunlops sucked so bad I will never buy any other Dunlop offering. Not a good sales pitch with the crap they give as OEM
A smart company would offer better rubber on the contract if they wished to get another sale down the road in my opinion.
For now I am sticking with the PR2' s until I find something better.  :motorsmile:

Had I taken that attitude, I never would have tried my PR1's or 2's.  My B12 came with Michelins - Macadam 90's.  The rear was OK, but the front sucked big time. 
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline icemakk

• Board Homesteader!
    • My web site
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 01:01:07 PM »

Had I taken that attitude, I never would have tried my PR1's or 2's.  My B12 came with Michelins - Macadam 90's.  The rear was OK, but the front sucked big time. 
I understand what you are saying. Pretty much have this attitude with the Dunflops as they have been the stocker on 3 bikes and sucked everytime. Dunflop does not get my $$ when I need new tires. You were lucky to get Michelins with your B12. I assume that was not off the dealer floor?

Offline Jester

• Kevin McCann
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Me and my GSF1250S ABS K7
    • Jester Online
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2009, 03:49:18 PM »
Well I went for it with the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart tires. Picked up the tire for $183. I've only got 250km on it so far but I've liked that 250km so far. Rides nice, corners great, no complaints yet but then it's early and the fat lady certainly hasn't sung on this story yet.

I'll keep everyone posted.
2007 Suzuki Bandit GSF1250S ABS
"Keep the rubber side down!"

Offline icemakk

• Board Homesteader!
    • My web site
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2009, 04:17:43 PM »
Well I went for it with the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart tires. Picked up the tire for $183. I've only got 250km on it so far but I've liked that 250km so far. Rides nice, corners great, no complaints yet but then it's early and the fat lady certainly hasn't sung on this story yet.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Yes please. Curious as to how long it lasts and how well it handles once you have it scrubbed in. Still not too happy with their cheap factory donuts
 :banghead:

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2009, 05:41:17 PM »
Hey Jester, glad to see you aboard!!  Welcome.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2009, 10:55:25 AM »
You were lucky to get Michelins with your B12. I assume that was not off the dealer floor?

Well, yes and no.  I bought my B12 used, but it had <600 miles on the clock.  The Michelin Macadam 90X's were the stock tires on the 2001 models (and 2002, IIRC).  But they still were crappy tires.  I think since the Bandit is a price point bike, they buy tires from the lowest bidder and therefore don't get any company's premium rubber.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline icemakk

• Board Homesteader!
    • My web site
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2009, 01:18:45 PM »
You were lucky to get Michelins with your B12. I assume that was not off the dealer floor?

Well, yes and no.  I bought my B12 used, but it had <600 miles on the clock.  The Michelin Macadam 90X's were the stock tires on the 2001 models (and 2002, IIRC).  But they still were crappy tires.  I think since the Bandit is a price point bike, they buy tires from the lowest bidder and therefore don't get any company's premium rubber.
I wish the 2 manufacturers would stop doing that. It makes them both look bad. The biker maker for putty sh*t tires on and the tire maker for letting their rep roll on crap rubber. Had Dunflop put a decent tire on I would have probably just bought another set but their performance and durability were so bad I have pretty much given up on that brand. Suzuki needs a slap upside the helmet for using them.