Author Topic: Torque wrench / Oil change ?  (Read 13268 times)

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
Torque wrench / Oil change ?
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2007, 09:59:26 AM »
Quote from: "dgc"
seems like its worth it to buy the suzuki tool.  i wonder if it can be ordered online.

You don't have to buy the actual Suzuki tool. Go to any auto parts store and they should have one. My friends own a Carquest and they had one on the shelf. Cost me maybe 6 or 7 bucks if that. Can't remember for sure, but they aren't much. Makes life a lot easier with one of them.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S

Offline Blue Racer

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2007, 09:59:46 PM »
Is the oil filter the same for the 1200 as for the 1250?  Do either use a "crush washer" as with the Gold Wing?

Anything wrong with the OEM Suzuki oil filters?  I use them on my Bergman 650 with no problems that I can see.  I order via the 800 number, a case of ten at a time, and split them with two buddies.  About $7 each delivered to my door with no sales tax....
If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2007, 11:49:19 PM »
Quote from: "George Lewis"
Anything wrong with the OEM Suzuki oil filters?  

Nope... not at all.  I use them - I pay too much but it keeps my face in front of the parts guy at the dealership and he cuts me other deals as needed.  I really like the little "condom" the OEM filter has too.  :lol:  

I change filters every 4,000 miles but I do the oil every 2,000.  With the Texas heat I figure it can't hurt and the dino oil I use doesn't cost a ton.

I recently got the genuine Suzuki filter wrench - sure wish I'd bought that a long time ago.  I'm hoping it will work on my Element's filter too.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2007, 01:12:53 AM »
Quote from: "George Lewis"
Is the oil filter the same for the 1200 as for the 1250?  Do either use a "crush washer" as with the Gold Wing?

Anything wrong with the OEM Suzuki oil filters?  I use them on my Bergman 650 with no problems that I can see.  I order via the 800 number, a case of ten at a time, and split them with two buddies.  About $7 each delivered to my door with no sales tax....

The Burgman uses the same oil filter as the 1200 - as do most other modern Suzukis with spin-on filters, so I'm gonna guess the 1250 does, too, even though I can't seem to find a listing for it in my quick search.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2007, 01:27:06 AM »
Quote from: "Dave 02 1200"

You can check yourself by turning a wrench against the square drive of a beam-type torque wrench while an assistant reads the scale from the other side.

You would need to hold the wrench 12" from the axis of rotation of the torque wrench...correct?

Sky (mathematically challenged)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2007, 09:35:47 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"
The Burgman uses the same oil filter as the 1200 - as do most other modern Suzukis with spin-on filters, so I'm gonna guess the 1250 does, too, even though I can't seem to find a listing for it in my quick search.

My B1250 uses the same oil filter as my V-Strom DL650K7 did.  :grin:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2007, 03:23:27 PM »
Sky,

You can check yourself by turning a wrench against a beam-type torque wrench to see how much torque you are applying.  

I like to set a click type torque wrench to the desired value and then, using my wrench, tighten it until it clicks to see how much manual force is required to reach the desired (specified) torque.  

You can use any length wrench for this, and probably should use the one you use to tighten the drain plug, because the torque wrench is measuring the result at the business end.

Stripped drain plug threads are a real bummer so, if you don't use a torque wrench, at least "educate" your wrist so you will have some idea of what it should be.  Then just "snug it up" -  but not as tight as it would be if you had used a torque wrench.  Be conservative.

"Just snug" is actually a pretty good idea because it doesn't take much tension to plug the hole and keep the oil in and, if you put a small screw-type hose clamp on the hex head of the drain plug, it won't come loose.

Good luck.
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator