Author Topic: Do I look retarded ??  (Read 5015 times)

Offline travellukie

• TURBO TYPER!
Do I look retarded ??
« on: May 13, 2006, 12:09:19 PM »
Today I went to 4 Japanese Mechanics, to check out prices.. 3 out of 4 Mechanics told me it had nothing to do with carbies on my bike causing the problem, but a much simpler case of me having a tank bag on...!!

When I heard it the first and then second time, i figured they wre just trying to get me out of their shops, but when I heard it the thrid time... Is there something they know that I dont... Do I look retarded, why would my tank bag that covers up the fuel cap have any difference to how the bike runs?? They said not the jets , not the carbies, not the air filter, I reckon I:ve been taking for a ride (not a pun)!!

But not being a mechanic and apparently looking like a retard, I ask for your help please, just so i can clear things up, and so I can move on to the next problem........Does covering up the fuel cap on Bandit 250 cause a problem??

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Do I look retarded ??
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 12:15:48 PM »
Only if the tank bag is sealing up the cap area so it can't vent. Most ank bags to fit that thight. Simple enough to find out. Ride for a while without the tank bag and see for yourself.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline travellukie

• TURBO TYPER!
Do I look retarded ??
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 12:25:14 PM »
Well I did ride home with out the tank bag on, but nothing changed the situation, the bike was still taking off poorly at the lights, just wanted to know if it was true what they were saying about the fuel cap?? And does this mean I should refrain from using some tank bags in the future..??

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Do I look retarded ??
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 12:30:18 PM »
Here's another experiment for you...

After riding for a while, open the gas cap and see if it makes any noise that would indicate there was a vacuum - which would mean the tank isn't venting like it is supposed to. If that's the case, you'll need to clear the clog in the vent line.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Do I look retarded ??
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 01:43:02 PM »
For some reason when I saw the title of this thread I just knew it was posted by jbrough7 the witty little Canuck!  :stickpoke:

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
Do I look retarded ??
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 07:23:20 PM »
PSSSTTT.. I heard that....

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Do I look retarded ??
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 11:54:06 PM »
I don't know about the smaller models, but the 1200 has a vent line on the bottom right side of the tank.  I accidently pinched mine once and caused a whole bunch of problems.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Do I look retarded ??
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 04:54:40 PM »
We need a little more info to what you mean by poorly? Is it because it's a 250? Is it "jerky" when you take off or "mushy"? It could be clogged pilot jets. Do you have a loss of power once you get going or is it still kind of grim. As far as the tank cap goes it can cause problems with fuel delivery if it's covered tightly. Think of a straw in a glass of water. If you put your finger over the top of the straw so that no air can displace the water trapped in the straw you can take the straw out and no water will escape. If you lift you finger off the end of the straw the water pours out. Same with bike motorcycle tanks. If they were completely sealed no gas could get into the carburators because of the vacuum created. That's why there is always a breather hole in the gas cap(usually) to allow the fuel to flow. Now if you are covering the gas cap you may be restricting the breather hole just enough to create problems at low rpm/vacuum levels, once the rpm's rise and the suction is increased, it "powers" past the obstruction allowing for the fuel to flow freely again. Just for fun try riding the bike on prime for a few miles and starting and stopping. This will check to see if your petcock vacuum diaphram is being a little sticky.

P.S. We can't see you so we can't say if you look retarded or not!  :stickpoke:
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline travellukie

• TURBO TYPER!
its me again
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 12:02:18 PM »
Quote from: rider123
We need a little more info to what you mean by poorly? Is it because it's a 250? Is it "jerky" when you take off or "mushy"? It could be clogged pilot jets. Do you have a loss of power once you get going or is it still kind of grim.

After the bike has been riden for a little while (say 20mins) at the lights, at take off, I pull on the throttle and release the clutch, and there is no power, it somes about 10-15 secoonds later, (it doesnt happen every time maybe once in every 4 stes of travel lights) sometimes you can hear the revs coming up high and then you take off, and sometimes it also back fires in first and second gear?? not loud back fires, but there is a certain gurgling noise from the muffler and you can feel the bike, kinda hiccuping..!!  if the bike has done it at the previous lights, sometimes i give it a every load of revs before I take off and then it works fine, but i dont want to keep revving the shit out of it, not hight rev's but some where areound 4000.
it only happens at the traffic lights, when the bike is up and going it works fine, great power and never sluggish, even though its a 250..!!

The other day I noticed water around the fuel cap, and I tracked down the excess water drain from the radiator, the drain was full of mud and the water was back flowing around the tank opening......  Do you think this might have an effect on the way the bike is running when you take off at the lights, maybe water was getting into the tank??

any more help would be fantastic

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Do I look retarded ??
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 01:59:23 PM »
Hmm,.. if this was a 2-stroke, I'd say it was "loading up" at idle.

I used to have a similar problem with my firebird.  I can't recall what the problem was, but I'll think on it a little, and post if I remember how we fixed it.  I'm sure it was carb related though.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Do I look retarded ??
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 03:02:50 PM »
If it's "jerky" like that I'd say the bike is running a bit lean or there are some clogged pilot jets/fuel delivery problems. If it runs good on the mains the pilots are where your woes are. Did you try running the bike with the gas cap open yet?
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Do I look retarded ??
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 02:15:36 AM »
I'm sure it was carb related though.

Check the floats,.. make sure that they're good ( i.e. not holding fuel) and are at the right level.  I think my problem with the firebird was a heavy float.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
Do I look retarded ??
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 01:39:56 AM »
Yeah. Listen for a "Whoosh" when you uncap the tank.

Quote from: Red01
Here's another experiment for you...

After riding for a while, open the gas cap and see if it makes any noise that would indicate there was a vacuum - which would mean the tank isn't venting like it is supposed to. If that's the case, you'll need to clear the clog in the vent line.

Offline travellukie

• TURBO TYPER!
Do I look retarded ??
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 02:28:56 AM »
hi,,

I have been away on holiday this past 10 days, but I just wanted to get back to all you guys and thank you for your help...
    I recently changed the oil, plugs and air filter, (the filter was fithy).. The plugs did not show signs of being lean, or oily.
    Before I started changing things, I tried opening the petrol cap and hearing for any noise, and I also tried riding with the cap open, tried riding with petcock on prime, tried array of different suggestions that you offered.
    The bike does run alittle bit better, it still is a problem at the lights sometimes, but I have decided I will have to live with that, it just cant be helped at the moment...
    I heard many suggestions of carbie cleaning and refloating the carbies, but all this is beyond me at the moment, I live in Japan, I dont have a shed or any private space and I dont feel like doing a complete break down of my bike on the front doorstep of a very busy area.
    I guess if it really shits me, I will have to go to a Mechanic and risk the fact that I will get my Western arse ripped off..!!

But thanks again for all your help... travellukie