Author Topic: Gas--Regular, Midgrade, or Premium  (Read 33686 times)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Gas--Regular, Midgrade, or Premium
« on: September 09, 2005, 01:20:07 PM »
So, with gas prices continuing to escalate (and probably will for the rest of our lives), what's the general consensus:

1)  Which grade do you normally run

2)  Have you changed due to the price increases?

I know el Bandidos   :bandit:  can run lower octane, but most of the folks I know (on various bikes) buy the higher octane.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline BlkJello

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 02:05:01 PM »
I always run premium with my bikes.  Although im told its a waste??  I dont change grades per prices....the differance when your only buying 5 gals or so, isnt that much.
Mike Kuka

2005 Bandit 1200s

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 02:10:56 PM »
I run 94 octane premium in all my vehicles.  Regarding octane, I'm just not sure what to ever believe about the value of it, although I've had a car where an obvious improvement in noise and performance came from upgrading to premium.

Some people say it's a waste; that there's no benefit.  Others, including the manual for my Audi A6, specifically say to use premium.

I would really like to know "THE" answer on this, but all I expect is anectodal evidence.  Who can you trust? :grin:

Offline BlkJello

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 02:16:03 PM »
I wonder if the deciding factor is the vehicles compression ratio ??
Mike Kuka

2005 Bandit 1200s

Offline chevsuz12

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 02:18:15 PM »
My simple understanding of the octane issue, is simply if your vehicle has a high compression ration (9.5:1) or higher than you probably need it.  If not then you don't.    If you are running higher octane than necessary your engine runs less efficient because it is trying to burn off the extra Hydrocarbons, thus increases emissions, and reduces fuel economy and reduces power (granted all of this is very minute.)

I run 87 in all vehicles ('03 Suburban, '00 Impala, '99 Bandit)
B12 Streetfighter!

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 02:28:17 PM »
It's pretty simple.  Octane is a combustion inhibitor.  The higher the octane the less volatile the gas is.  That is why in high performance engines that run at high temperatures and more importantly high compression ratios, high octane is needed to keep it from combusting too early.  It does not make more power or clean your engine or anything else.  In fact you want to ideally run the minimum amount of octane that allows you engine to run w/o "knocking", or having the fuel detonate before the piston reaches top dead center.

SO, a B12 with 9:1 compression ratio can run on regular unless it's really hot and under heavy load.  I say that because I could get mine to knock, so I ran 89 octane and it was perfect.  There was never a need or point in running premium.

How "hot" your sparkplug is can also play into it somewhat.

You didn't mention if your Audi has a 1.8T, but that's what's in my Passat and I always run 93 in it.  Although Turbo engines almost always run much lower compression ratios as tested, the effective compression ratio goes way up once you come on boost.  Thus it needs premium.  You can run 89 or even 87 because the knock sensors will retard the timing enough to let you get away with it, you will lose power and MPG to the point where it doesn't make it worth it financially.  Also in the case of VW/Audi and most other high end brands, any engine damage that results from lower octane fuel will void your warranty. They can test the fuel and also read the fault-code off the VAG-COM when they do the diagnostic.
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 02:36:46 PM »
Quote from: "B12Teuton"
It's pretty simple.  Octane is a combustion inhibitor.  The higher the octane the less volatile the gas is.  That is why in high performance engines that run at high temperatures and more importantly high compression ratios, high octane is needed to keep it from combusting too early.  It does not make more power or clean your engine or anything else.  In fact you want to ideally run the minimum amount of octane that allows you engine to run w/o "knocking", or having the fuel detonate before the piston reaches top dead center.

SO, a B12 with 9:1 compression ratio can run on regular unless it's really hot and under heavy load.  I say that because I could get mine to knock, so I ran 89 octane and it was perfect.  There was never a need or point in running premium.

How "hot" your sparkplug is can also play into it somewhat.

You didn't mention if your Audi has a 1.8T, but that's what's in my Passat and I always run 93 in it.  Although Turbo engines almost always run much lower compression ratios as tested, the effective compression ratio goes way up once you come on boost.  Thus is needs premium.  You can run 89 or even 87 because the knock sensors will retard the timing enough to let you get away with it, you will lose power and MPG to the point where it doesn't make it worth it financially.  Also in the case of VW/Audi and most other high end brands, any engine damage that results from lower octane fuel will void your warranty. They can test the fuel and also read the fault-code off the VAG-COM when they do the diagnostic.

Well, you're the expert as far as I'm concerned, so it's gonna stay premium in both the Audi A6 (2.8) and the Saab 9-5 (3.0).  Would you say it's not necessary in a Ford Taurus SE Wagon?  I think it's a 3.0 engine.

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 02:50:26 PM »
Yeah, the Ford would run best on regular for normal driving.  If you are really hot doggin' it or towing, you should run 89, but that's a big IF.

The 2.8L Audi V6 runs 10.3:1 compression and should get 89 minimum but safer with 91, 92, or 93 as it calls for.
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 03:07:05 PM »
I think Manny covered it well (and there's plenty of threads on this subject here).
While he's needed to use midgrade in his B12 in the hot & humid clime of Atlanta, I've never had to move up from regular in the cooler climate of the Pacific Northwet (sic).

Use what the owners manual tells you to.  If it tells you to use regular, use regular. If it tells you to use something else, use that.  If you experience pinging, then step up a grade. If you're alreadyat the highest octane available, you need octane booster.

As for the Taurus, if you don't have the O/M, check the sticker near the fuel filler, it should tell you. Most cars in the US these days that do require premium will even tell you so on the gas gauge.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline BlkJello

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 03:09:50 PM »
Well, based on the good info here...i will be switching to regular.  :bslap:
Mike Kuka

2005 Bandit 1200s

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 03:35:34 PM »
Unless your bike is out of tune for some other reason... putting anything more than 87-octane in a Bandit is akin to overfilling a water glass because you want to make sure you have enough water.  

It don't do no good.  Once you have enough octane to prevent detonation... anything more is just donating more of your money to the poor ol' gas companies.

Even so... I've played around with various octanes & brands just out of curiousity... and I keep finding that it runs better on no-name brand 87-octance than it does on name-brand 93-octane.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 03:40:42 PM »
The one thing I do avoid is running gas with alcohol in it. Around here, that's Arco regular & midgrade and Union 76. They are required to tell you on the pump, so look for a sticker if you're in doubt. Alcohol can lead to faster erosion of jets, injectors and tiny fuel system passageways.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline fake

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 04:43:07 PM »
I use 88 octane in my b12.  Gas here is 86 88 90.
2005 B-1200S Limited

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 05:07:28 PM »
Quote from: "fake"
I use 88 octane in my b12.  Gas here is 86 88 90.

I'd go with 88 too in that case.

Wow... 90 octane is your premium?  That kinda sucks since a lot of cars (Like my wife's Beemer) requires 91 or higher octance.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 05:57:13 PM »
His gas has lower octane because he's at a higher altitude and you need less octane at higher altitude.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)