Author Topic: Cruise controls  (Read 5429 times)

Offline suzbnd12

• TURBO TYPER!
Cruise controls
« on: June 16, 2005, 04:51:19 PM »
Hi fellow members. Just bought my first Bandit in the new killer blue and white anniversary paint job for '05. At 250 miles currently, I'm kinda like McDonald's. - I'm loving it. Be glad when it's broken in and no more up and down throttle inputs are necessary.

I want to put a cruise control/throttle lock on the bike and was looking for suggestions or comments from other people's experiences.

Thanks.  :motorsmile:
Bill
'05 B12S
Damn the psychiatrists, Ride a motorcycle!!!!!

Offline Vee Dub Nut

• Board Homesteader!
Cruise controls
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 05:06:07 PM »
Sorry.. i have nothing useful to answer your question...

But.. i will say howdy to a fellow texan!... If you havent yet, check out www.twtex.com  its a texas riders forum... good stuff there
Adam in College Station Texas

1996 Bandit 750s - SOLD!
1998 Bandit 1200s - SOLD!
2000 VW GTi GLX
1967 VW Beetle* slight modifictations

Offline suzbnd12

• TURBO TYPER!
Howdy back....
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 08:57:32 PM »
Adam, I get up your way several times a year at TWS for the CMRA races. Next sprints are July 31st. You oughta round up some people and check 'em out if you don't already do so.

Bill in Conroe
'05 B12S
Bill
'05 B12S
Damn the psychiatrists, Ride a motorcycle!!!!!

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Cruise controls
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 11:20:59 PM »
Good luck... I had the same problem.  I've had Vista Cruise throttle locks on 4 prior bikes but I can't get them to work on the Bandit.  The best option seems to be "Throttlemeister" but it is ridiculously overpriced at $125.00

If looks aren't important... you can get the Vista Cruise Deluxe to work on the Bandit.  

You can also get a John Deere O-Ring to keep on the bar-end weight and then roll to the edge of the throttle to hold it in place.  (about $3.00)

Offline FlyingTurtle1

• Board Homesteader!
Cruise controls
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 12:44:45 AM »
I had a N.E.P. throttle lock on my Bandit and it worked really well. It's made for bikes with a twin cable throttle. Found out it also works quite well on my Futura. Comp.Accs. carries them(or did) I got the one on my Fut. from F&S Suzuki, $20.00.
Terry Humphreys...No longer a Bandit owner
'06 FJR..stock for the moment....

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Cruise controls
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 01:22:54 AM »
Quote from: "PaulVS"
The best option seems to be "Throttlemeister" but it is ridiculously overpriced at $125.00
'Tis true... over priced but nice intregal fit to the bike - worthy of a Bandit IMHO.  With that said - it's on my wish list (b-day, x-mas, cuz I'm a nice guy, yada yada) but I will have one before the next multi-day road trip.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Cruise controls
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 07:11:19 AM »
I've got an older style Vista on my 02B12.  Got it to fit no problems.

If you want I'll take some picks on post them.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline Tundrahog

• Board Homesteader!
Cruise controls
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 07:44:57 PM »
OK I gotta ask.  How do these work?  My impression is that they jam the throttle and hold it.  Do they automatically disengage when you turn the throttle manually?  I don't like the idea of the throttle being stuck "on" in an emergency! :shock:

I like the idea, and I have a trip to Pittsburgh coming up in the next couple weeks
Jon

2004 Suzi B12

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Cruise controls
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 08:22:22 PM »
I don't like the idea of the throttle being stuck "on" in an emergency!  

That is exactly how most of them work - it's not like the electronic cruise control you have on cars and some high end touring bikes. The Vistas have a Thumb lever that when pushed down tightens a band around the inner side of the throttle there by 'locking' it.  To release simply 'flick' the lever up and you have normal throttle use.  See picture below.

I personally love them, wouldn't be without it.  However you do have to be sensible about it.  I wouldn't even dream of 'engaging' it in town,on winding roads or for long periods of time.  I think a couple of Km's is the most I've ever had it on for.

Mind you I was being "a bit silly" riding no hands on the Doom (Hume) Hwy passing cars - jeez I got some strange looks.  It probably didn't help that my pillion wasn't holding on either, in fact he was 'playing aeroplanes'.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Cruise controls
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 04:49:15 AM »
Quote from: "txbanditrydr"
Quote from: "PaulVS"
The best option seems to be "Throttlemeister" but it is ridiculously overpriced at $125.00
'Tis true... over priced but nice intregal fit to the bike - worthy of a Bandit IMHO.  With that said - it's on my wish list (b-day, x-mas, cuz I'm a nice guy, yada yada) but I will have one before the next multi-day road trip.

Yes they're spendy. yes they have an integrated look. They also double as heavier than stock bar end weights and help quell bar vibes. I have the "standard" Throttlemeister, (picked up used). Now, they also come in an even heavier version.

The downside is they aren't as quick to lock/unlock the throttle as the NEP & Vista-Cruise types.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Tundrahog

• Board Homesteader!
Cruise controls
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2005, 12:16:39 PM »
OK so they are intended for use for short duration only, perhaps long enough to get some blood flowing and some feeling back in your hand.  I was looking them over at the dealer last night, along with those levers that attach to the grip so you can control throttle with your palm.

Now I know what I'm getting.

:thanks:
Jon

2004 Suzi B12

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Cruise controls
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2005, 12:41:18 AM »
FWIW - in addition to the throttle lock, I also have one of "those levers that attach to the grip so you can control throttle with your palm." (The old style velcro-less Throttle Rocker that is no longer available in the US - but is in Canada.) I find it is WAY more useful than a throttle lock.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
Cruise controls
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2005, 01:49:49 AM »
I'm a NEP fan, it is the best throttle lock that I have seen. It's cheap. With careful installation and adjustment it will hold the throttle where you set it until released, engages with a nudge from the thumb, releases immediately, and can easily be overcome by twisting the grip if need be. The only hazard created by using one that I can imagine is if the rider were to fall asleep while riding or have the right hand become inoperative while riding. In either case you will just keep on going. If you are offended by a black nylon lever next to your throttle this is not the lock for you.

I was at Bent Bike today and I just happened to see that they had Throttle Rockers. Seattle area folks know where to go, for the rest I believe that they are on line.

Steve
Primer Grey b12S

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Cruise controls
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2005, 03:09:31 AM »
Did they have the old style ones, or the new ones with velcro?
I haven't tried the new style, but it seems they aren't as good... harder to get positioned right and/or stay put.

IIRC, Throttlerocker got sued by one of the other vendors (wrist rest or crampbuster or ?) over they way they fit the grip and the court sttlement required their US sold versions had to have a different method of grip fitment, but models sold outside the US could retain their original configuration.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
Cruise controls
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2005, 03:39:08 AM »
Paul, I just don't know. I was there snooping around for stuff for the tractor and up at the cash stand I saw some TRs for sale. Not being a fan I didn't notice the particulars.

My new project is coming along well, I may use it rather than an airplane this fall to go to OK and back. Time will tell.

Steve
Primer Grey b12S