Author Topic: Hit 3 dealerships today ...  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Hit 3 dealerships today ...
« on: April 22, 2006, 06:58:43 PM »
Low 90s today.  Decided to see if I remembered how to ride and took off to see what there was to see at the local bike shops.

First, Honda.  2 Goldwings.  1 ST1300 (yum).  6 sportbikes.  50 cruisers.  Man, I dig that ST1300, but I'm on the very tips of my tippy toes with it.

Second, Kawasaki/Suzuki/Aprilia.  Various Kawa and Suzi Sportbikes.  3 V-Stroms.  50 cruisers.  No Aprilias.  I dig the Vulcan 750 old style metric cruiser.

Third, Yamaha.  6 sportbikes.  1 V-Max (double yum).  50 cruisers.  For two cents I'd go back and buy that V-Max.

Anyone notice a pattern?  Thin or non-existent with sport tourers, a few torture devices, and an over abundance of big, heavy, slow cruisers.  And 20 to 30 folks in each shop hanging out at the cruisers.  :roll:

It is so sad.

The V-Max just looks faster than h$ll!  Are we sure the 'Busa can outrun it on the straights?  Still turbo, ain't it?  Now THAT is a bike!

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 07:13:59 PM »
The V-Max is one awesome bike!  Wonder what it would be like?

How tall are you Desolation? re: the 1300.

Jim

Offline jeepskate99

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 10:20:14 PM »
Quote from: "jbrough7"

Jim

It's like riding a missile,  that can't be turned.  I had a friend that owned one and it was a blast on the thruway and a living nightmare on the ramps.  Do they STILL run bias-ply tires?
There are no stupid questions,  only stupid people asking questions!

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 10:26:00 PM »
Quote from: "jbrough7"

Jim

5'9" if I do stretching exercises first for at least an hour.  :grin:

Quote from: "jeepskate99"
...It's like riding a missile,  that can't be turned.  I had a friend that owned one and it was a blast on the thruway and a living nightmare on the ramps.  Do they STILL run bias-ply tires?

I didn't think to look at that.  Never would imagine bias ply on that kind of bike.  I'm gonna look next weekend.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 10:16:10 AM »
The V-Max has never done anything for me. I've never been a fan of it's styling.  :pukey:

It's never had a turbo from the factory. IIRC, the only Yamaha to have a factory turbo was the 600 Seca Turbo.

Yes, it still runs on bias-ply tires. They are V-rated though.

Straight line performance numbers are about the same as a B12, but the B12 is a helluva lot more fun in the twisties - and IMHO, a much better looking bike.

Going to Yamaha's site, I noticed the V-Max isn't a Yamaha anymore. It's part of the Star Motorcycles lineup now, along with all the other cruisers.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline cb400bill

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 06:35:15 PM »
"Are we sure the 'Busa can outrun it on the straights?"

V-Max top speed approx 150 mph.
Busa  top speed approx 190 mph.

Yup, it will outrun it on the straights.