Author Topic: I Wonder Why  (Read 2613 times)

Offline scooter trash

• Board Homesteader!
  • Never Be The First To Get Old !
I Wonder Why
« on: March 17, 2005, 11:45:07 AM »
HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED WHY

I don’t know about you but when I’m out riding through the country I tend to think a lot. Most people jump on their rides to clear their heads and that’s the way I start out. But once into the ride I start to wonder. I wonder what the heck that little dog is going to do with this big motorcycle once he catches it. Drag it into the back yard and bury it with his bone collection? I wonder why deer don’t cross the road only at the deer crossing signs? We put them up especially for them. I wonder why with only a 30 percent chance of rain I always end up riding in 100 percent of it? I wonder why motorcycle tires only blowout when I am as far away from civilization as I could possibly get. I’ve often wondered why the car in front of me going 10 mph below the speed limit will only speed up to run a red light? Maybe he doesn’t have any brakes? I was wondering how the farmer knows that I’m coming and to have his huge tractor blocking both lanes at the end of a blind curve? Does he have a spotter somewhere telling him when to pull out onto the road? I’ve often wondered if that person that just tried to run me off the road would be able to drive any better if they had that cell phone shoved up… I’m sorry. Sometime I wonder how the heck some of these people every got a drivers license. Maybe we motorcycle riders should petition the government to put these warning signs on every motor vehicle, “WARNING- Do not operate this vehicle if you are a moron or and idiot. Doing so may result in injury or death.” I’ve often wondered why they bother putting speed limit signs up. Is that the starting speed for the race everybody is in? How do you know if you’ve won the race? Did you ever wonder how a woman could put on eye makeup while flying down the interstate? That’s talent! And speaking of talent, just how talented do you have to be to decide that every intersection should have large (very slippery when wet) road markings? Kind of makes you wonder what the entrance qualifications are for traffic engineering school. Right now I am wondering how much longer you will read this before you realize that I talking about the hazards of riding a motorcycle? Yes the hazards are out there and we continue to ride because we have learned how to manage the hazards. We’ve learned to scan. We try to make ourselves as visible as possible. And we have come to expect the unexpected. We ride and we have fun despite the hazards. I have just one more thought before I go, is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny? Just one of the many things I wonder about while riding.  
 :motorsmile:
00 Red Bandit 1200S (Gone But Not Forgotten)
96 Red Harley Springer
04 Sportster
11 BMW R1200RT
scooters - in - the - wind

"Hollow Points" - From Those Who Care To Send The Very Best

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
I Wonder Why
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 02:02:13 PM »
Welcome to the 'alley, ST.  Glad you got logged in.  

It's funny where your mind ends up while you are riding.  I either end up being able to clear my mind and just cruise around or totally focused, thinking about technique, picking out turn-in points... trying to go faster.  While in either case I am constantly scanning,  I try not to play too many 'what if' scenarios in my head...  I get paranoid and tentative.  Then there's always that clown thing....   :lol:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: I Wonder Why
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 02:17:26 PM »
Quote from: "Scooter Trash"
I’ve often wondered why the car in front of me going 10 mph below the speed limit will only speed up to run a red light?

What drives be buggy is on the island where I live there's a main road with a 50 mph speed limit. Lots of folks like to drive this road at 10 under. As the road nears the mainland, the speed limit goes down to 45 for the last couple miles...
That's when these same drivers decide to go 50-55 mph.  :duh:

Maybe we motorcycle riders should petition the government to put these warning signs on every motor vehicle, “WARNING- Do not operate this vehicle if you are a moron or and idiot. Doing so may result in injury or death.”

You mean like this?

I’ve often wondered why they bother putting speed limit signs up. Is that the starting speed for the race everybody is in? How do you know if you’ve won the race?

I think those folks have this warning sticker:

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline chippi

• Board Homesteader!
I Wonder Why
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 03:28:08 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"

I try not to play too many 'what if' scenarios in my head...  I get paranoid and tentative.  

Yeah I hear you! :shock: I've imagined some pretty sick stuff that still makes me shutter, while thinking out those what ifs.
Learn from other peoples mistakes...... or you won't be around long enough to make them all yourself!

Offline TBeckman

• New user!
I Wonder Why
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 07:52:41 PM »
Hey, I resemble that Traffic Engineer remark.  Don't blame the engineers, blame the Department of Transportation for requiring the use of that highly visible and long lasting 3M product that is slippery when wet.  This is just NY that I know about, but I'm sure others do the same.  Just defending the engineer remark.
'05 1200S

Offline chippi

• Board Homesteader!
I Wonder Why
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 08:17:40 PM »
:bigok:  HEY TBeckman .....Albany what's up ?  :beers:
Learn from other peoples mistakes...... or you won't be around long enough to make them all yourself!