Author Topic: HOt, HOT, HOT  (Read 2674 times)

Offline banditoverde

• Board Homesteader!
HOt, HOT, HOT
« on: July 22, 2005, 08:43:00 PM »
Went for a ride today and damn near binned it on a straight away! WTF!  I managed to run wide on a bloody friggin straight away!
:duh: :wtf: :duh:
So what happened?  It's hot, that's what happened.  Full gear (leather britches, mesh jacket, etc.) 30 miles on the super slab in 1 bazillion degree heat, that even cranking the AC up close to the ton couldn't relieve (my inner squid got antsy).  Playing in the coastal mountain twisties and having a blast. Pushing hard enough that I scrapped the sharp corners off of my right peg & exhaust can (I so love my B-12).  Finally stopped to drink a bit of water and cool down but I was too late to ward off the effects of dehydration.  Got back on the scoot, rounded a few corners, hit a straight section and got target locked on the "cars blocking snowplow will be towed" (yeah right, snow plows in SoCal  :?: ). Next thing you know I'm riding through the dirt muttering angry things at myself.

Dehydration sucks big time.  It magnifies the effects of fatigue and screws with fine motor skills, gross motor skills, perceptions, you name it.

Be careful with the heat and drink water, drink water, drink water!

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
HOt, HOT, HOT
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 10:13:34 PM »
Good heads up there.... with forecast heat index values around 110 degrees tomorrow I will be off the road by noon sippin' a cold one!!!
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline fartndust

• Board Homesteader!
HOt, HOT, HOT
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 10:37:34 PM »
Man...that was a good recovery!  Heat stress comes on so slowly you hardly know it's creeping up on you, and your right...you have to consume a lot of water.  If your thirsty, you've waited too long to start rehydrating.  Some of the sport drinks will help, but good ol' fashion water is the best.
I was drinking at the time...so ya, I mighta said that.
IT'S ONLY FUNNY TILL SOMEONE LOSES AN EYE...Then hey! There's a free eye out there!
'02 Bandit 1200S  Me
'04 YFZ450  Me
'03 LTZ400 Wifey
'02 YFS200 Son
'04 Viper 90 Honeybun

Offline Dragbike

• Board Homesteader!
HOt, HOT, HOT
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 12:45:34 AM »
104 in Northeast Oklahoma today.... I stayed home and sprayed water on the AC. Lots of things going on Saturday......... and 106 with a heat index about 120...I think I will pack the AC with Ice and have a cool one too!
Brent
01 Bandit 1200S
99 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide
89 GSXR 7/11 w/turbo
88 GSX600F Katana w/1127 :)
82 Harley FLT
79 Harley Super Glide FXEF
I’m getting Old--- I remember when Sex was safe and Motorcycles were dangerous!

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
HOt, HOT, HOT
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 01:20:55 PM »
when its hot and you are heading towards dehydration
other simple hints are being hungry or tired
these usually come before thirsty

Offline Bantana

• Board Homesteader!
HOt, HOT, HOT
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 02:44:34 PM »
Good save and no harm done. I once got so dehydrated riding the BRP in the heat of July that I got lost. Spooky. I'm not riding anytime soon.
Speedvision has a nice long afternoon of racing on Sunday afternoon and I'll be right in front of TV during the heat of the day.
~lloyd
~lloyd in atlanta
  Doing my best in the Southern Appalachians  to uphold the honor of Bandit riders everywhere.

Offline Jehu Bandit

• Board Regular!
HOt, HOT, HOT
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 08:29:51 AM »
Good save, good post and good reminder on the importance of staying hydrated.

Remember, caffeine drinks reduce hydration so don't thnk that a 32oz iced tea form a convenience store is doing anything to hydrate you. Better off with Gatorade (or other electrolite laden sports drink) and/or water.