Author Topic: "NUMBER 99"  (Read 21696 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2007, 09:59:36 AM »
All this seems like circular thinking to me and it's giving me a headache.  :wink:
I'll make it simple. Here's the original question again:
Quote from: "ZenMan"
Now, supposing that there was no link proving the nonexistence of Bigfoot, do you believe it really exists?  :lol:

My answer, yes.

Just how would you prove the nonexistence of something though?
Reminds me of when I got audited by the IRS some years ago. The IRS agent wanted me to prove my wife's ex, who had been deported when they divorced and we had no contact with, didn't give us any child support. When I asked him how I could do that, he said, "Nevermind, I see your point."
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2007, 11:51:28 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"
All this seems like circular thinking to me and it's giving me a headache.  :wink:
I'll make it simple. Here's the original question again:
Now, supposing that there was no link proving the nonexistence of Bigfoot, do you believe it really exists?  :lol:

My answer, yes.

Thank you.  :bandit:

Yeah, it's a convoluted web we've woven (hmmm, say that real fast 5 times) but if you were hurtin', short on sleep, and high on pain pills then you might be typing whatever is rattling around in your melon just to help pass the time, too.

"I swear, it was the DRUGS that made me do it!"

Thanks for playing along.  :motorsmile:

Just how would you prove the nonexistence of something though?

Exactly! Good one.  :wink:

I just threw that in there as a joking reference to your Simpson's/Springfield link, which basically debates the whereabouts of a two-dimensional cartoon family that doesn't exist... or does it?  :lol:

Reminds me of when I got audited by the IRS some years ago. The IRS agent wanted me to prove my wife's ex, who had been deported when they divorced and we had no contact with, didn't give us any child support. When I asked him how I could do that, he said, "Nevermind, I see your point."

Wow, the IRS conceded a reasonable point? Amazing.  :roll:

Oh yeah, Bigfoot. I wonder why there have never been any bones recovered? I mean, we're digging up dinosaur fossils millions of years old (if you answered "E", that's for you) yet not one scrap of physical evidenced confirmed as from an unknown giant biped. We even have fossils from that "Austro-something Gigantus" giant ape that lived in China thousands of years ago.

You'd think that a large enough population needed to support itself all this time would leave behind something of itself besides footprints.

If a bigfoot exists on this planet, the most likely candidate would be the Yeti in the Himalayas. That's a very harsh and remote environment where something that big and well-adapted to the conditions could possibly hide from the curiosity of man.

The Pacific Northwest is also a vast wilderness, I've hiked and backpacked miles and miles in Washington, Oregon, and NorCal, and there may be enough room to hide... but for a whole species of large mammal? They must be very meticulous about where they poop, and how they dispose of their dead. And they must eat a lot of slugs...  :roll:

If a race of Bigfoots exist, I hope we never find them. The mystery would be gone. And most rare species or remote cultures don't fare too well once us humans start "helping" them.  :annoy:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2007, 12:25:24 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
OK... I nominate this as the all-time weirdest BA thread!    :lol:

Seconded.  :bandit:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2007, 05:24:51 PM »
We even have fossils from that "Austro-something Gigantus" giant ape that lived in China thousands of years ago.

If a bigfoot exists on this planet, the most likely candidate would be the Yeti in the Himalayas.

The Himalayas extend into China, so maybe they found a Yeti.

The Pacific Northwest is also a vast wilderness, I've hiked and backpacked miles and miles in Washington, Oregon, and NorCal, and there may be enough room to hide... but for a whole species of large mammal? They must be very meticulous about where they poop, and how they dispose of their dead.

If they kept to the most remote areas, you may never run across their poop, or maybe their poop looks like some other animal we're familar with, or like my dogs, they eat each other's poop, or they're using the campground outhouses when no one is looking, or something I haven't thought of. See, there's possibilities.
If they are more humanlike than apes, perhaps they're civilized enough to have rituals and bury their dead and we just ahven't found a Sasquatch burial ground yet.

If a race of Bigfoots exist, I hope we never find them. The mystery would be gone. And most rare species or remote cultures don't fare too well once us humans start "helping" them.

We haven't seemed to help nor hinder the aquatic monsters like Nessie, Ogopogo & Champ. They're still sighted from time to time, but they don't seem to be bringing a bunch of their kids around either.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2007, 06:02:50 AM »
:bigdrink:  Cabin fever??    :lol:
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2007, 11:59:56 AM »
Or bored at work. Excessive rain hasn't help matters any.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2007, 12:29:59 PM »
My excuse? Can't ride. Recovering from surgery due to excessive stupidity.  :roll:

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2007, 10:56:20 AM »
What the hell, thought I'd revive this ol' thread and see if it'll take a few more punches...  :bandit:

Started my physical therapy last week and the main exercise I'm doing is this simple rope & pulley with a handle on each end. The pulley hooks over the top of the door, and I sit in a chair with my back up against it. Then I use my good arm to pull up the rebuilt arm, and see how high I can get it to stretch above my head. 5 minutes 3 times a day.

Man it hurts like a summabubbobbabitch I tell you what... and it's so freakin' sore at night I have to take two of those dang pills just to sleep.

But when I do sleep. I can hear this sexy voice calling to me from down below... calling like a siren from ancient mythology, calling for me to come to her, to follow her down, down...

I get up in the morning and go down to the shop and there's this beautiful, sleek, powerful black motorcycle sitting there looking as if she's poised to leap forward and run like the wind... and I realize where the voice is coming from. "Soon, baby, soon" I say as I lovingly stroke her shapely tank with my one good hand...

Ok gotta stop now! Yikes!   :nuts:

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2007, 12:08:12 PM »
Wow, the IRS conceded a reasonable point? Amazing.

A-ha!  Caught ya with your pants down!  This statement is perilously close to humor that might offend someone on this board!

(You *do* know I'm a "government braniac" don't you?)
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2007, 12:38:01 PM »
Yeah, you sure got me that time, Columbo.  :roll:

My sincere apologies to any IRS agents, bureaurocrats, or "braniacs" that may have taken offense at my irresponsible and thoughtless comment.  :lol:

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2007, 02:36:22 PM »
Heck, I'll raise ya one:

If you think IRS is good at squeezing blood out of the taxpayer, wait until they give the former IRS Commissioner access to needles...that should make it a lot easier!

-------------------
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 12:02 PM
To: All Employees
Subject: A Personal Message

I am writing to share with you the news that I will be leaving the Internal Revenue Service in coming weeks to become the President and Chief Executive Officer of the American Red Cross.  I look forward to continuing my career in public service in this new and exciting role.

I look back over the last four years with great pride and satisfaction.  Together, we have rebalanced the organization, bringing to life the equation: Service + Enforcement = Compliance.  This has been no small feat, and I thank all of you for doing your part to restore credibility to our enforcement programs while continuing to improve taxpayer service over this period.  We have also made significant strides in modernizing the IRS.

Building on the work of Commissioner Rossotti, this has been a successful phase in the IRS’s history.  I believe the agency is poised to continue progress on a variety of fronts.  I have faith in the strong leadership of the IRS; my confidence extends to you, the employees, who have demonstrated tremendous dedication and hard work.  

It has been a singular honor to lead this organization; I will always regard being Commissioner of Internal Revenue as a highlight of my career.  I wish you and your families all the best.

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2007, 03:06:35 PM »
Well, not much to do waiting to heal up, so I've been thinking about mods and playing with photoshop. What to do about that big muffler?

Here's one thing I came up with...wouldn't be too hard to fabricate, I'm guessing.

The original can:

And about 6 inches chopped off:

Looks a lot better, be a little louder and less restrictive... but wouldn't cost a dime.

What ya'll think?  :bandit:

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2007, 03:34:25 PM »
Looks a lot better, be a little louder and less restrictive.  What ya'll think?

Not sure it looks ANY better, much less "a lot" better.  Am *against* making the exhaust louder.  No interest in changing the power of the bike.  In other words, leave it the eff alone!

Hey, you axed!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2007, 03:52:02 PM »
Well, I think it looks better than the original, but still has a heavy look to it.
I'm guessing by the time you're healed, there'll be more than one option from the aftermarket. Especially if those things are flying out the door.
(Though the one my local dealer got 3 weeks ago is still sitting there.)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2007, 03:52:38 PM »
Quote from: "Sven"
Looks a lot better, be a little louder and less restrictive.  What ya'll think?

Not sure it looks ANY better, much less "a lot" better.  Am *against* making the exhaust louder.  No interest in changing the power of the bike.  In other words, leave it the eff alone!

Hey, you axed!

So I take it that's one vote "nay", then?

Sheesh!  :roll: