Author Topic: "NUMBER 99"  (Read 21705 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2007, 08:15:01 PM »
:congrats: on the new ride and the end of the long wait!

Just curious, in the above pics, where does the tool kit go? On the 2G it goes pretty much where your "black box" is and the battery sat a little lower and there was a storage tray on top of the battery. Also the two screws holding the storage tray (battery tray on yours) have bumpers for the seat on them on the 2G...
I mention this because a couple years ago, I was riding with Steve (he hasn't posted here in a year or so) and popped my seat off to get something. Steve asked where I got the cool storage tray with the rubber bumpers... seems his 2G made it out of the factory without the tray or the bumpers. Just wondering if the new one is supposed to have bumpers in the same spot.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2007, 08:53:39 PM »
Thanks, Red.

The tool kit goes in the back under the tail cowling. There's a hollow space there with a rubber bungee that holds it in place.

Tool kit storage:

The bumpers are attached to the seat underneath... the seat actually unbolts into two pieces so the bumpers can be changed out to adjust the seat height for the rider. The manual says to take it to the dealer to do this, but if you had the replacement bumpers it looks easy enough to do it yourself, I would think.

I'll take some pics tomorrow... I'm sorta curious myself how the seat comes apart anyway.  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline ZillaX

• TURBO TYPER!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2007, 11:24:48 AM »
Hey ZenMan!

Thanks for the pics and info.  about your new bike.  I just got back on the board after all the trouble and was pretty excited to find out you got your bike!  Mine hopefully will be in this week.  My dealer kept telling me end of March, so the fact that it isn't here yet is really bumming me out!  Thank God the weather has been crappy here in the land of 10,000 taxes (Minnesota) or I'd be going out of my mind!  Good luck on your surgery, and congrats on the new bike!
07 1250S Bad in Black!
84 Nighthawk 650
72 Honda CB 500F

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2007, 12:29:02 PM »
Thank you, ZillaX.  :grin:

Wow, I was sure you'd have yours by now... My dealer said they get the bikes from the warehouse in Chicago, that's a lot closer to you. Do you have a deposit down? Did you get your dealer to put the order on priority?

I sure hope you get it soon. And remember you're welcome to come down and visit once I get healed up... Good luck!  :motorsmile:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2007, 03:06:42 PM »
Red and anyone else who's interested... I posted the seat adjustment procedure with pics in the "Comfort/Appearance" forum.  :grin:

Offline Russtang

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://russruss.com
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2007, 03:23:43 PM »
Apology to Zen for the thread hijack...

Quote from: "stormi"
We're in the same boat here.  When we bought this house, we were looking for acreages,.. but anything in our price range was usually downright scary. (Mold, estabilshed pets,... ) So we settled for neighbors in a medium sized town instead.   It's the 5 yr plan though to have an acreage... I'm pushing for "not in a snow bound area" though.

That was EXACTLY our plan too when we moved from California to Arizona a few years ago.  We got a 1/4 acre lot with a nice house in our little Phoenix suburb.  Once we got a feel for the area, we had planned to move to something with at least an acre.  Well, between then and now, property values have shot up around 250%!  Great if we want to sell and move someplace else (we don't).  Not so great if we want to buy that house on 3 acres a block away.  

I don't want to sound like the whiner whose property values have more than doubled.  We've got a nice house (with...neighbors).  Just kicking myself, because it's going to be a lot harder/impossible to get that acreage nearby when it's going for a minimum of $350k/acre.   :shock:

Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
Stormi, home run! You and your husband should consider the Southwest. Acreage is still a great price in rural areas and a great investment as it is expected to grow faster then any place in the country, why I invested out here and planning more for my kids future.

I agree!!!  What's not to like about 330+ days of sun/riding?  You just have to trade the snow plow and jacket for cold beverages and sunblock!  And yes, land is still very reasonable in rural areas.  Less than $500/acre in some areas.

Russ

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2007, 03:47:17 PM »
No problem... I'll even participate in the "hijack"...

We bought 26 acres with a small but new farmhouse, shop, well, pond, and outbuildings 9 years ago for $40,000. Since then we added another 10 acres adjoining for $12,000. We just had the whole thing appraised for $86,000. Not that we're planning on moving.

Raw land goes for $600 to $1000 per acre. You can find plenty of small farms (less than 40 acres) for under $100,000 around here.

Of course, jobs are mostly labor and don't pay much, but you don't need much with the cost of living so low. Taxes on our farm are less than $200/year.

An internet business is an ideal way to make a living here. I restore old trucks and tractors and sell them for a good profit, and my partner/girlfriend is a medical technician part time at the residential care facility in town. We do just fine, enough left over to buy toys and have lotsa fun.

There's not much growth or development going on, but that's exactly why we moved here... peace and quiet. If you want investment property, go somewhere else. If you want an idyllic, peaceful lifestyle, you can't beat it. Nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away.

All our kids are grown and have their own careers, kids, homes... We'll never live the noisy, smelly, high-stress city life again.  :wink:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2007, 04:09:17 PM »
Slightly back on-topic - I think "Number 99," should you decide to name it, should be called Agent 99.

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2007, 08:07:04 PM »
Oh yeah, I remember Agent 99 quite well. She was a hottie! Too bad she had that thing for Max, though.... what a loser he was! :duh: Was I in an adolescent fit of jealousy???  :lol:

"Agent 99"... sounds stealthy. I like it!  :bandit:

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2007, 08:46:05 PM »
:clap:

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2007, 12:28:37 AM »
Well I have been buying and selling property in the southwest now since 1987 and I can tell you that there is allot of up and coming rural property with well water and utilities like Snow Flake Arizona where you cam buy 20 acre blocks for 20K. You must buy low and sell high, you cant run with the herd because by then its too late. The problem is that most people won't or cant buy in a crashed market which is the best time and wont sell in a high market, they rather run with the herd, buying high and getting stuck (great for investors). I'm waiting another year as the market will be at its lowest and listing at their highest and will be investing in north New Mexico making multipal low bid offers, someone always sells at that point.

Well, this is an investment-minded approach, and I think what a few of us here have in mind is more just finding your own chunk of paradise to live on happily ever after.  :wink:

I bought and sold a few properties in Washington state, it's a great way to make a bunch of money relatively fast and easy, if you're smart.

But there comes a time (at least for us) that the pursuit of the almighty dollar becomes less important than the pursuit of happiness. Of course you need money to live, but how much is enough? I know a few very rich folks that are pretty damn miserable. Finding a balance is the key.

We raised and cared for our kids from birth through college, they have their own kids and lives now. This is our time. So we bought this farm and now we live the sweet life. When we're gone, this place will pass to our kids... hopefully we have started a long family legacy here.

We have deer in the fields and bald eagles in the sky. We're surrounded by national forest and our road dead-ends on a excellent trout river. Hunting, fishing, camping, and hundreds miles of great roads all around. Winters are mild, you can ride 9-10 months out of the year.

We both make our living doing things we love, we don't work too much and we have more than enough to have fun too. It's not that hard, even a caveman could do it... it's just a matter of breaking the chains and living for yourself instead of doing what society dictates. Gotta quit watching all those TV commercials with the "Average American Family" bullsh!t. You really don't need a Lexus!  :lol:

Offline wizud

• Board Homesteader!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2007, 12:46:51 AM »
Nirvana is in the mind Zenman. You have reached it when you believe you have. I congratulate you on finding what makes you happy. It is a rare and beautiful thing :motorsmile:
If you can't ride today, try and have a good day anyway!

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2007, 01:33:25 PM »
Thanks, Wizud... I don't know about Nirvana, but we are pretty thankful to be able to live the way we always wanted.

I should make it clear that I'm not trying to brag, or make any judgements on anybody... PLEASE don't take it that way!

I just want to share with others who are contemplating making a move to the country... if we can do it, anybody can. It's not that hard, it doesn't take huge sums of money or years of preparation. I think the biggest thing that holds people back is the uneasiness of letting go of the seemingly secure steady job/urban environment to take on a radical change in lifestyle.

It's not for everybody, many people thrive in the high-pressure big-business city environment, and truly enjoy being in the midst of the bustling, multi-cultural masses. They'd probably be bored to death out here!  :wink:

But if you always dreamed of "getting away from it all", it's just a matter of making up you're mind and doing it... trust in yourself and it'll  work out.  :motorsmile:

Ok, I'm climbing off my soapbox now...  :grin:

Offline Russtang

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://russruss.com
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2007, 02:36:42 PM »
Man, that does sound like a nice place Zen!  I recently bought 40 acres out in northeast arizona.  I just wanted a place to escape everything once and a while (especially the August heat!).  Going up there fits my definition of "getting away from it all" with no electricity, cell phone service, running water, sewage system...hehe :lol:  I love every minute of it!

I did buy it primarily for this reason, with the investment potential there, but trailing in importance.  It's a great place to go relax and enjoy the starry skies.  Our biggest problem is that it takes 4 hours to get there, so we don't get to visit too often.

I think you speak the truth about finding happiness.  Too many people seem to be tied up in working harder and harder for the sole purpose of upgrading to the next model car or house.  We (me included) are all working for this month's house/car/cellphone/utility/etc. bill.  Don't get me wrong, I like having nice things and a place to live.  But at the same time, I hate feeling that I am a slave to the stuff.  I'm probably not alone there, hehe.

I just heard a quote from Jim Carrey (of all people) that went something like this:  ” I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it’s not the answer.”

I once complimented my old friend Rob (an even more unlikely philosopher) after getting a new job and big raise.  His reply went something like this:  "Thanks, but we'll still be broke...just with nicer stuff!".

I'm glad you've found what works for you.  This thread (now officially way off track) has motivated me to think a little bit more about the reason why I put in those 50 hours a week.  I think I need to start by finding a way to bring those acres of mine closer!  :grin:

Russ

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
"NUMBER 99"
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2007, 09:14:10 PM »
Stormi, home run! You and your husband should consider the Southwest. Acreage is still a great price in rural areas and a great investment as it is expected to grow faster then any place in the country, why I invested out here and planning more for my kids future.

We were discussing that the other day!  Based on what Zen had to say a little earlier in the thread, we could sell this house, and buy something like his for cash! Living expenses sure get easier without a mortgage payment!
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works