Author Topic: Bandit Dragbike project commences  (Read 4530 times)

Offline yogi

• Board Regular!
Bandit Dragbike project commences
« on: April 08, 2005, 05:39:14 PM »
Hi guys and gals.

I posted a tech question regarding ignition timing and nitrous oxide usage. Red01 PM'ed me and asked if I could put some info up on this board regarding my project bike, so here it is. I hope some of you find it interesting or even useful.

My donor bike is an 05MY GSF1200S in the limited edition Blue/White. My race class rules stipulate that the bike must be based on a street bike and although indicators, mirrors and lights can be removed, head and taillights must be represented on the bodywork. The max allowable wheelbase is 68" and no wheelie bars. A treaded, road legal, rear tyre must be used. Other than that pretty much anything goes as long as it's safely executed on the bike. OK, here's the deal. To be competitive, this baby needs to consistantly run a 9.5s 1/4 and get off the line like a scalded cat. So we need to lower and lengthen the bike, lighten the bike, and find approximately an extra 120bhp!

The plan is this:

Once the engine is run in on the street, open the motor and bore the cylinders to 1216cc, fitting Wiseco forged pistons (which will cope with the Nitrous much better than the stock ones) These will boost the static compression to 12:1 but I will lower this a bit so I can put in more gas. I will port the head myself if I get time (if not I have a very good friend who will do it). I have a set of Kent "street" cams to go in and an Akropovic full system.Obviously the airbox will go, but I am trying to retain the stock carbs because they will promote torque being quite small. Although they will cost the motor bhp, this can be made up and then some when the gas comes in. Talking if gas, I am using a Wizards of NOS Megablast 150 and a Maximiser progressive controller. This is the ONLY gas system to have in my opinion, absolutely everything else is about 20 years behind in development. I am very fortunate that I have unlimited access to a dyno so I will post results as the project progresses. The clutch is an area that requires some immediate attention. I have several ideas and will say more when I know what I am doing.

The chassis will be  lengthened with a JMC 9" over deep braced arm. I will probably have a gas bottle holder made into it so the bottle sits in front of the rear wheel. The front and rear will be lowered about 3".

Virtually all the electrics will go in favour of high performance race kit, mainly from Dyna, although some bits will be home made parts I used on my prevoius drag bike. Incidently, both my previous bikes were featured in "Streetfighters" magazine- if you are interested I will find out the issue numbers.

I generally do not look at my pc from one week to the next so if you PM me and I don't reply, don't think you're being ignored

Anyway, that's about it for the moment. I will post more in a few weeks if you show interest by leaving a short reply to this post. I will also try to add photos at some point.

Laters...Yogi

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 07:23:39 PM »
Thanks, Yogi!  :bigok:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline chevsuz12

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 01:24:19 AM »
Sound awesome!
B12 Streetfighter!

Offline jimmym1296

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.jandjloghomes.com
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 08:22:56 AM »
Definitley post some pictures. And good luck with it.
jimmym

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 02:42:50 PM »
:motorsmile: I just finnished converting my 98 Bandit from a drag bike back to a street bike. I went back with stock swingarm, forks and sprockets. In the last couple of years the interested in dragracing around here has dwindled. With 155 RWH, it shoud be a fun bike.
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline Swamp Rat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 11:58:26 AM »
Sounds like a butt load of cash is going into that thing. Maybe you could have bought one of those Turbine bikes that are made down here just south of me. I heard those things run pretty quick. The off the line part might be a little tricky though as the throttle responce has about 1-1.5 second delay,both on opening and closing. Jay Leno has one I've been told. I saw some footage of it out running a helicopter and a jetplane. I don't have a link but I would bet my life savings that Paul could find something on it. LOL
Brian
20003 1200s
2001 Drz 400e