Author Topic: I'm buying a bigger bike, what you guys think I should get  (Read 6069 times)

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
I'm buying a bigger bike, what you guys think I should get
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2005, 03:44:50 AM »
I just read an article in Motorcyclist that compared various years of R1's. If I remember correctly, they felt that the 2001 had the best balance of engine,steering and braking. My friend just bought a new CBR and that thing is sweet. I can't tolerate all that weight on my wrists but they are fun for an hour at a time.

If I were buying one of these, I'd ride the GSXR and the Honda and buy the one that felt right based on my personal tastes. Good luck! :grin:

Offline theslyfox

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2005, 06:18:49 AM »
Thanks again guys tour imput is really helping me out,  But I am also looking at 600 class(insurance reasons and not to shit my pants on a wet corner when I put the power down) of course the bandit600 N as I have the 250s 96 and I love it, also R6, Ninja, GSXR, FZ6 I'd mostly be out at weekends and do 100 to 200 miles some times could be more if we're touring.
When you dance with the Devil its you who changes not the Devil.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2005, 06:49:01 PM »
FWIW, the B6 & FZ6 are not in the same class as the R6, GSXR & Ninja. If you like the ergos of your B2.5, you will like the B6 & FZ6. The repliracers in the 600 class will still probably be a bundle on insurance. Any of them could put you in a world of hurt if you get too entusiastic with the wrist in the wet.

I've been hearing rumors that next years GSXR600 will really be something. Currently, they have been having a tough time winning races in the Supersport class and seem to be outclassed by the Yamaha & Kawi.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline GeoBandit

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2005, 01:36:29 PM »
It really boils down to what tacoman said.  I have over 35 years in the saddle and have had around 2 dozen different bikes.  No such thing as a bad one.  If you want comfort get a Caddy, if you want fun two wheels is the way to go.  But not being rich, which I assume you are not, you will be stuck with one bike.  To light on the freeway and you are bumped around.  To heavy or long and the twisties are a pain.  I have found the B1200 is the best of all worlds.  You can lay down, sit up, plenty of room, under 400 lbs, not to high, not to low and you will never find all of that and with that much power for that dollar.  You can get a new one for the price of most used.  Another member picked a new one up for just under 7K in ND.  You can find a good used one under 3K.  So your riding style and $$$$$$.
97 1200

Offline echomadman

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.echomadman.com
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2005, 04:33:50 PM »
A friend of mine picked up a fazer600 a few weeks ago, and it's a great bike more of a touring position than the race-rep 600's though.
As was said, if you like the position of the B250 you cant go wrong with a B6 a fazer6 or a hornet6.
If you're set on a racier bike, the CBR600F is very sporty, but still more useable as a commuter than the CBRR's

Edit:
you're in ireland aswell, if you are looking at a bigger bike look at getting it in the uk as prices are more realistic, and they MOT bikes so you're less likely to end up with a lemon (or buy my SV650s so i can get a bandit6)

Remember Hibernian just pulled out of the irish motorcycle insurance scene, so there's only two companies left insuring irish bikers from the end of july Carole Nash and AON, so factor in the likely increase in premiums that are on the way. :(

also join up on some irish bike lists/forums if you haven't already
the yahoo group : motorcycle ireland is an excellent mailing list, and www.irishbikerforum.com was set up recently to give irish bikers a place to congregate on the web and discuss irish-specific issues without being lost in a sea of aussies yanks and brits.

(no offence to the yanks aussies and brits on here)
1990 GSF250 Bandit (currently getting a gsxr400 engine transplant,
2000 SV650S

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005, 05:22:49 PM »
What did he say?  Danged if I can understand you Irishmen?
  Have enough trouble with the Brits, Aussies, and Kiwis.........and Canadians!! :monkeymoon:  :motorsmile:

The SV650 is another good 'alternative' sportbike choice.
 What about the Speed 4?
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline longislandbandit99

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2005, 10:28:41 PM »
If you're getting a bigger bike, get a bigger insurance policy.   :monkeymoon:

My buddy has a Gixxer 1000 he bought last year.  He loves it and has it tricked out nicely.  My other buddy has an SV 1000 that is too fast for its own good.  I have my Bandito 1200.  We all keep up together nicely.  Whatever you buy make sure you like it, it fits your body size, yada, yada.  You'll love whatever you end up getting anyway.

Offline echomadman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2005, 04:42:19 AM »
Quote from: "longislandbandit99"
If you're getting a bigger bike, get a bigger insurance policy.   :monkeymoon:

Easier said than done in Ireland, we only have 3 insurance companies that'll insure bikers, and one of them is pulling out next month due to nonprofitabilty in its motorcycle insurance dept.
Typical insurance for a 25year old guy on a 250cc bandit is 700~1200€ ($850~1500) and thats for third party cover only, fully comp would be double that, often more expensive than the bike itself. If you're under 25 only one company will insure you (for all intents and purposes). Its a nightmare situation at the moment here.
2000 SV650S

Offline theslyfox

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2005, 06:39:10 AM »
Thats right its a nightmare I'm with corole nash I,m 24 on a bandit 250 on a proviosnal but my driving test is coming up soon so thats why i'm graduating onto a biger bike,  I'll also be 25 in August my Insurance at the Mo is costing me 1500 euro its a Joke!!!!!
When you dance with the Devil its you who changes not the Devil.

Offline echomadman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2005, 07:41:45 AM »
1500€ christ, the weighting for living in dublin is insane, once you turn 25 it drops a bit though
2000 SV650S

Offline longislandbandit99

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2005, 11:32:23 PM »
I thought small vehicles and motorcycles were preferred in Europe?  You'd think that they would make it easier to obtain and insure one.