Author Topic: This is sort of the opposite of the point of the forum  (Read 2819 times)

Offline jfudo

• Board Homesteader!
This is sort of the opposite of the point of the forum
« on: June 07, 2005, 05:18:58 PM »
But I like to think that I'm as prepared as this guy was...

http://www.news10now.com/content/all_news/central_new_york/?SecID=86&ArID=43659

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 06:39:33 PM »
A couple things bother me about that story.  (Other than the truck wheels in the picture!) :shock:
  No mention of who was at fault...
  And the possibility of perpetuating the myth of 'laying the bike down' in an accident.
  Some people are convinced that's the best, and only action to take in a potential wreck situation....
  I'm kind of biased.  When I hear the words 'I laid it down and rode it out' come out of the mouth of a rider, I figure he ain't much of a rider!
    It's kind of the last thing I want to do... willingly put myself on the pavement....where a vehicle can run over me, whether the one I'm trying to avoid, or the idiot behind that vehicle, and not paying attention!

Maybe no other details will  pop up on this wreck, but it would be nice to have some more details.

It is good the rider was wearing a helmet and jacket.  Head injuries would have changed the story.....abrasions you can survive.
  Getting under those truck wheels is another matter!
             Here's hoping we don't have to figure out what to do in a similar situation, but as long as we ride...it's a possibility.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline B6Matt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 07:06:05 PM »
I'm with Pete on that one.  I'll take my chances in a ditch or against a guard rail rather than sliding under the wheels of a big truck.  I guess laying it down might be a natural consequence of locking up the rear wheel in a panic move, which is certainly understandable, but to be avoided.
'01 Bandit 600s in Blue (sold)
'02 Yamaha FZ1
'01 Suzuki DRZ 400e

Offline scooter trash

• Board Homesteader!
  • Never Be The First To Get Old !
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 08:42:48 AM »
The following rant is from a former motorcycle safety instructor (me).
If you are paying attention, leaving yourself an out, driving sensibly and have complete control of you motorcycle you should never have to lay one down or go into a ditch. I have been riding since 1969 and have never done either. I do not believe in the old saying there are two types of motorcycle riders. Those that have laid a bike down and those who are going to lay one down. Now that’s not the same as dropping one. I’ve dropped just about every bike I’ve owned. Pulled up on a ferry, oil on the painted deck put my foot down and did the splits. That’s just one of the many ways to drop one. But as for crash avoidance, I’ve stayed upright and out of the ditches. I always leave myself and out.

:motorsmile:
00 Red Bandit 1200S (Gone But Not Forgotten)
96 Red Harley Springer
04 Sportster
11 BMW R1200RT
scooters - in - the - wind

"Hollow Points" - From Those Who Care To Send The Very Best

Offline jfudo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 02:41:33 PM »
I sort of thought afterwards how it came to be that he rearended a trailer.  Must have been sleeping.  From what it appears, that he was directly going to rear-end the truck, and if there was no other way out, sliding was probably the best option to avoid a faceplant into the trailer.

I agree that he shouldn't have put himself in that situation.  

I was mostly giving him respect for wearing his gear.  It is curious (around here at least) that one's chances of getting into a serious accident increases exponentially with each piece of gear they avoid wearing.

Offline scooter trash

• Board Homesteader!
  • Never Be The First To Get Old !
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 03:08:24 PM »
Like the guy I saw yesterday on the GSX with cutoff shorts, teeshirt and flipflops. He did have a full face helmet so I'll give him that.
 :duh:
00 Red Bandit 1200S (Gone But Not Forgotten)
96 Red Harley Springer
04 Sportster
11 BMW R1200RT
scooters - in - the - wind

"Hollow Points" - From Those Who Care To Send The Very Best

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 03:41:56 PM »
Hey, a Helmet, shorts, and flip flops is a heck of a lot more than the jerks wear around here!
  A saw a black guy on a tricked out Busa, yesterday......no helmet, gloves, nothing but pants and a shirt....sneakers.
   It's real common this time of year to see a large group of sportbikes....with kids on them, wearing wife beaters and shorts, no helmets.
  Where I store my bike trailer is across the street from a gas station they seem to meet up at.
  They head off somewhere from there.  In that direction, there sure as heck aren't any twisities....just deserted roads.

I live a mile from the GA line, where there's a Helmet law.
  There's a gas station a block from the state line, on the SC side.
  On weekends, you always see packs of cruisers parked there....they stop to take off the beanie helmets. :duh:
  Dittos the first rest area on I-20.

I'm more worried about preserving my almost empty head...than I am about making a statement about 'personal freedom'.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......