Author Topic: 2010 and My Head's in the Oven  (Read 6834 times)

Offline China Greg

• Board Homesteader!
  • Tighten it 'til it Loosens then back-off 1/4 turn
2010 and My Head's in the Oven
« on: October 18, 2009, 03:13:29 AM »
Gag.

Some of you might remember me whining and groaning when the 2009 model year surfaced like a greasy rag in the kitchen sink. I've been on a rant for two or three years now, dismally unhappy with recent styling trends (or perhaps, lack of).

What's going on here? We are BANDIT OWNERS, fer cryin' out loud. My flat-bar, Corbin-seat, black 1998 B12 has lovely, svelt LINES, (remember that word?), and everything these days seems to follow in the Yamaha FZ-1 "Vacuum Cleaner" styling genre.

The new VFR? Pu-lease. Like Gumby's BMW.
Kawasaki naked 1000 is "all new",  and Halloween is almost here again, apparently. Trumpet pipes and Rocket Boy plastic.

Suzuki's styling department is spending too much time in the Tokyo mushroom bars, it seems. Who the F considers the B King styling seriously? That bike could be incredibly sexy, but... nope.
The last Zook with any looks was my old 2001 GSXR1000.

Time to polish-up the trusty 98 Midnite Bandit. Maybe a bore kit....

Black '98 B12S, JE 1216cc bore kit, port work, Yosh RS3, Ivan jetting, drag bars, modified Corbin Gunfighter, Hyperpro shock, Racetech Gold valve kit, stainless lines, Wave rotors, polished wheels, fender eliminator, bar-end mirrors, NEP throttle lock, Adaptiv TPX radar detector...140K miles

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: 2010 and My Head's in the Oven
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 04:36:27 AM »
The Suzuki Gladius is refreshing in it's simplicity, suffering only from a Ducati-esqe headlight (and a horrible two-tone paint job, solid red, please...). The frame reminds me of my Bandit 400, only with a 650 twin in it. While the stock suspension is street standard, there's nothing to stop one from being modded.

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 07:54:46 AM »
The Suzuki Gladius is refreshing in it's simplicity, suffering only from a Ducati-esqe headlight (and a horrible two-tone paint job, solid red, please...). The frame reminds me of my Bandit 400, only with a 650 twin in it. While the stock suspension is street standard, there's nothing to stop one from being modded.
oh man I don't see that at ALL... it looks ok in pictures maybe even interesting but up close I found it's like someone threw a whole bunch of ugly at the poor bike. Frame  :thumb: Engine  :thumb:...rearsets EWWW, painjob EWWWgeneral headlight area EWWW I have a strange feeling the 'purple/pink' with ivory they have at the local store won't sell, can't see a man buying it and non of the poser women would be interested I think and really thats the only ones that seem to buy new.
ah glad I got my gladius rant off my chest, quite a few people locally have had to listen to it as well.

I haven't seen a new bike with an exhaust that wasn't like an ugly wart in a long time. I think of exhausts much like fenders 'to be replaced', and seeing how easy they often make this for us I think the companies do to. Given the money I'd buy a duc, yes I LIKE that kind of plastic... no every model but many of the recent ones are things of beauty even in person. And yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  :motorsmile:
I like my B12, it's a look I can trust, I don't look great everyday either!
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 01:52:57 PM »
Oh, I don't know, while it certainly has some modern-day styling I'm not fond of, like the aforementioned headlight and the now common frightening exhaust, it's a very basic design. The frame is very similar to the Bandit 400, and is where the rest of the bike takes it's shape from:

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 10:26:20 PM »
ya see, the grab handles, rear sets, exhaust, instruments, headlight, radiator covers... serriously have you seen it in person? Both of us got kind of excited about it... but once we saw it... That said I'm hoping it takes off, anything to break from the constant stream of look alikes everyone seems to be making.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 02:00:54 AM »
The worst parts to me are the exhaust, lights, and seat. If the bike is seen in one color, things like the radiator covers just disappear. The bike in black isn't bad, have you seen it in black. I'll take red however (if they ever get smart enough to offer it). The instrument panel is unfortunately modern electronic stuff, but you're not going to find too many analog dials any more.

If you look at most other modern bikes, you'll start to see what I meant in my initial post. It's refreshing in it's simplicity. Just look at an R1 or CBR and you'll know what I mean. Ducati are about the only bikes that maintain a decent look IMHO, but who wants to deal with a prima donna bike?

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 11:03:18 AM »
Different strokes...  The paint is horrible.  Other than that and those easily-changed ape hangers, I kinda like it - at least the few pics I've seen.  It's not 1993 anymore.  The Duc/B4 trellis is sweet.  The headlight is cool, IMHO.  That exhaust is the most "aftermarket-looking" stocker I've seen a newer bike.  It's better than the huge, round cannon on the later model Bandits.  Like I said, different strokes....
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 03:29:46 AM »
You're correct about different strokes. However, the seat is death. I sat on one of the phuckers at the bike show. Makes the standard B4 seat feel luxurious. The bike starts coming into it's own in a solid color:

Here's a quick 'n dirty hack I made of the Gladius if it were available in red:

Seat aside, I'll take it, thank you...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 04:14:18 AM by Vidrazor »

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 07:29:05 AM »
  What I don't like about the Gadious the most is the plastic cover thats soposed to look like a aluminum frame :annoy: I remember the FZ1 had that bad idea a few years back. (besides the hudge exhaust) There is a guy on the SV1k site that bought one,he really likes the bike,even though he also had styling concerns. He tried looking at it w/o the plastic cover,I'm not sure if he left it off or not.(didn't follow up on the thread)
  As far as the seat being too hard, a English chap,also from the SV site, said thats because us Americans have soft bums :stickpoke:
 You have to toughen the **** up!

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 10:04:35 AM »
ya in solid colors it does look sharp, looking forward to seeing one in person, I still don't like all the little fulgy details IMHO, I think sometimes it's a case of trying too hard. Im thinking I may ride one next suzuki test drive days in the spring, since I don't think I'll have to call ahead or know the owner of the shop to get to ride one.
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 04:26:36 AM »
>>What I don't like about the Gadious the most is the plastic cover thats soposed to look like a aluminum frame<<

Are you referring to the stuff right above the exhaust?

>>As far as the seat being too hard, a English chap,also from the SV site, said thats because us Americans have soft bums... You have to toughen the **** up!<<

Yeah, phuck that. I sat on one of these phuckers, and I promise you won't like it!  :bandit:

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 07:39:13 AM »
>>What I don't like about the Gadious the most is the plastic cover thats soposed to look like a aluminum frame<<

Are you referring to the stuff right above the exhaust?

Right above the case.
  The seat on my SV1K is hard too.but it makes it easier to slide off from side to side. some owners opt for the Suzuki gel seat,and I believe there are a couple other options as well. I hate my Corbin gunfighter and lady seat for the Bandit. Can't slide off on it well,its hard mounted,and heavy. But my wife likes it better, keeps her from sliding up and bothering her stuff.(maybe too much info) I think this winter I'll customize my stock seat,so the passenger is planted better. It could use recovered anyhow.

Offline mosquito

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 08:05:07 AM »
The Gladius has always turned me off for the same reasons.  Take off the cover and the pipe hanger / rear peg arms and I like it (not sure about this green though): http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/gladius-supermoto/#more-1287

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 03:27:20 PM »
wow other than the turquoise color thats awesome. Some pretty special bikes, the spoked rims, forks, brakes etc. would cost a pretty penny, not sure if it's worth it on the gladious but looks cool... now if only they got rid of that white rad cover... :grin:
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 03:42:35 PM »
OK, how 'bout this?  :bandit: