Author Topic: After lusting for so long...  (Read 7240 times)

Offline Cargo7

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: After lusting for so long...
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 12:06:13 PM »
Congrats on the new ride :thumb:. I enjoy riding areas where the gas stations are few and far between as it usually means there's nothing else around either - Eastern Wash/Oregon is like that and it's one of my fave areas.

The grip angle... I sold my very-much-liked '83 XJ1100 after only 21k miles due to the bars sweeping back too hard. This would really get my wrists during tours and here too you would have had to machine something special to fix it.

On fuel mileage: I often tour my bone stock '03 B12 in "econ" mode - shall we say fairly sedate :grin:. and have completed many tours at around 60 mpg Imperial - indicated (ie: not considering odo error). So around 48-50 mpg US. Premium only.

2010 has been a riding bust due to business, family and new Jeep priorities but I plan to ride plenty in 2011. I'll be on the Suzuki BANDIT - See you then!

2003 Suzuki GSF1200S Bandit - Silver
1976 Yamaha RD400C

Offline MattMan

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 10:09:53 PM »
So Red....do you still like the bike?  LOL.  It's been a bit over a month now and I bet at least a few hundred more miles.   :trustme:

Does a C14 appear to have the goods to take the place of 2 bikes in your opinion?  Say for those of us who have a sport bike and a sport touring type like the bandit?  I've been reading on these bikes since they came out and I hear they are competent handlers, but I have ridden bigger bikes and I know that the extra couple hundred pounds makes a difference over my TL1000s!  Are you confident scraping the pegs on the bike as well as crusing for a couple hours on the slab?  If so, it may be for me lol.  I'm not looking to jump on one tomorrow, but I have seen some screaming deals around here.  It's nice to hear the opinion from a fellow bandit owner to see how it compares!  Thanks Red.

-Matt  :beers:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 10:29:09 AM »
I feel it can replace the Bandit for what I used it for, which was sport-touring.  The C14 feels heavier to toss around, because it is.  I'm still not at the comfort level on it as I am on the B12, but then I have 9 years & >50K miles experience on the B12, so I'm not expecting to feel that comfort level on the C14 in just the 3K I've put on it so far, but I am getting better - and my 1800 mile trip in August went a long way toward getting better with it.  I haven't drug anything on it yet, but I have managed to drag toes a couple of times when I wasn't expecting to.  As for slab cruising, I haven't done much multi-hour cruising on it.  Just one trip from Seattle to Portland.  I seemed to do fine that time, besides that, I've only done slab at 1 hour or smaller increments.  So far, my only complaint it the position of the bars.  Given the popularity of bar riser mods on the C14 forum, that came as no surprise, but my issue isn't so much with height as it is with angle.  I would like the grips to be straighter (ie; the outer ends further forward).  So far the only cure for that seems to be a new upper triple clamp that is made for traditional tubular handlebars and at >$400 just for the triple, that's a bit spendy. I'm hoping someone will make a handlebar adapter that bolts to the stock triple, but one hasn't materialized yet.

I would say if you feel the need to keep a TL around along with your B12, a C14 isn't going to be able to replace them both.  On the C14 forum I've been frequenting lately, there is a C14 owner who seems to be able to keep up with his sportbike riding pals, but he's a racer and trackday rider with a R1 and a CBR, so I'm sure his abilities are well above mine.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline gamewood

• Newbie paid cash for a really good bike
  • TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 10:31:20 PM »
"chicken strips on the rear "

What pray tell is a chicken strip?
5.9L GC...fast
427 sbc 91 vette...sometimes faster
4.7L 06' GC...baby's momma hauler
oh yeah a 49 state 1200s green GSF

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 10:53:21 PM »
"chicken strips on the rear "

What pray tell is a chicken strip?

the mold edge around the outside edges of the tires....if you have chicken strips, you've seldom leaned the bike over in a curve.
John L

1998 Red Suzuki GSF-1200S
1998 Red & Cream Moto Guzzi V11 EV
2001 Greenie Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 03:13:28 PM »
Just getting caught up here, Red.
Congrats on the new ride and I'm glad to read that you're "bonding" with her quite well.
A buddy of mine bought that exact bike (same colour even) just before we went off on our September ride through Idaho and Montana.
That Connie is an absolute missile !!! My poor old #17 never even had a chance of staying with him.....power-wise or handling-wise.
Of course my Bandit MAY have benefitted from a rider with larger cojones ?? :rofl:
Enjoy your new ride. :thumb:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings