Author Topic: Another newbie (aka how I learned to use the center stand)  (Read 10949 times)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Another newbie (aka how I learned to use the center stand)
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 01:14:59 AM »
I think you'll find it much easier... the weight on the centerstand lever does all the work, you barely have to pull at all.

Of course, this is meant to be done when the bike is already on the sidestand... as you normally would put the sidestand down before getting off the bike. Then try it.  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline dpturner

• New user!
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 01:37:38 PM »
Re: getting b12 onto center stand.  
One thing I find is that the grab rail is too far back to get much leverage.  On my last bike, the rail extended forward, so that you would grab it almost directly above the center stand.  It would just pop up onto the stand with little effort.  With my 01 b1200s, it takes a little more grunt, or a rock back-n-forth, before I can get it onto the center stand.  
Maybe I just need to work out more...dt

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Bike purchase
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 03:08:14 PM »
Quote from: "zeebandit"
Did you buy it at Xtreme Motorsports on Kennedy Ave. in Hammond. They had one in there last Saturday. Nice bike  :congrats:

No, I bought if from a private seller just across the border in MI. Been looking all over for a Bandit for the past couple of weeks and thought I found all the dealers at least somewhere close to me, but never came across the one in Hammond.  :duh:

One dealer a bit south of me actually jerked me over and never called me back. They had a '99 for sale that I was close to getting, but never called me back on the offer I made. Which now I'm glad because I had wanted the newer style anyway.

Thanks for the tips on the center stand....got her up no problem last night. I was paranoid about the bike falling over to the right, but once I realized the other leg of the center stand keeps it a bit balanced I wasn't so worried. I agree that holding underneath the tail didn't help me at all. My big arse was enough to push down on the stand and get it up. I did hold on to the OSB to help balance it. Spent two hours cleaning it last night...thank God the rain held off today...lol.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 09:15:25 AM »
Quote from: "dpturner"
One thing I find is that the grab rail is too far back to get much leverage.

:headscratch: You get MORE leverage the further you are away from the pivot point.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline dpturner

• New user!
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 03:33:55 PM »
Red01 wrote:
dpturner wrote:
One thing I find is that the grab rail is too far back to get much leverage.
You get MORE leverage the further you are away from the pivot point.

OK, let me try this again.  Leverage is not what I mean.  Rather, I am lifting a weight.  It is easier to lift that weight when it is closer to my body (right in front of me) than farther away (12" to my right).

I understand that most of the effort of getting the bike onto the centerstand is putting all your weight on the stand while pulling back on the bars.  But still, lifting up on the grab rail helps.  If the grab rail was right in front of me (my position being dictated by where the cenerstand is located), it would just be a little easier.

s'ok?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 09:03:20 PM »
Quote from: "dpturner"
I understand that most of the effort of getting the bike onto the centerstand is putting all your weight on the stand while pulling back on the bars.  But still, lifting up on the grab rail helps.  If the grab rail was right in front of me (my position being dictated by where the cenerstand is located), it would just be a little easier.

s'ok?

I think you're missing some of the instructions given. :grin:

You're only using your left hand to steady the bike, you're not rocking the bike with it.
You're right, you DO use the right hand to assist your foot's efforts. :thumb:

When ZenMan said, "Put your right hand under the rear grab rail, or under the rear seat/tail section somewhere relatively solid," keep in mind this is a generic statement.
On most bikes with a centerstand, there is a grab rail/handle/fixture in place with the purpose of giving you a good place to put your hand. Don't confuse this with the grab handle on top of the bodywork for the passenger to hang on. Bandits have a loop of frame just below the bodywork that will fall right at your right hand as you face the bike to raise it on the stand. The sole purpose of this loop is to assist you in putting it up on the C'stand. This loop is not present on the bike's right side.

Zen's instructions, once again: :bandit:

Quote from: "ZenMan"
Don't feel bad... you'd be suprised how many old veterans out there still don't know how to put their bike on the centerstand properly. :roll:

Stand on the left side next to your bike.

Put your left hand on the left handlebar grip.

Put your right hand under the rear grab rail, or under the rear seat/tail section somewhere relatively solid.

Put your right foot on the centerstand lever/pedal and push it down to the ground.

Make sure the bike is balanced so that both feet on the centerstand are touching the ground.

Now, in one smooth movement, step down with most of your weight on the centerstand lever/pedal, at the same time lifting up on the rear with your right hand. Use your left hand on the bars to keep the bike steady and straight.

Should pop right up on there no problem at all. :wink:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 05:59:35 AM »
My FJR has a recess just under the pillion seat to access a handle for putting the bike onto the centre stand. When I test rode the 1250, I couldn't find a ready-made handle or recess and just grabbed the frame under the seat - is there a better place?

BTW, my technique doesn't involve putting weight onto the centre stand foot beyond firmly holding it in place. The idea (to my way of thinking anyhow) is to use the foot of the stand as a pivot and pulling the bike back with one hand on the left grip and one hand on a point at the rear of the bike should easily enable the bike to pivot on the foot and up onto the stand proper. What you shouldn't do (and this is what many inexperienced people do), is to try and lift the bike onto the stand - that's the easiest way to injure yourself.
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 07:39:09 AM »
I understand where dt is coming from. I tried putting more "umph" into lifting up on the grab rail but found it's easier for me to simply use my weight on the stand to pop it up. At 6'2" and 300lbs my big @ss serves a helpful purpose for once  :lol:

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 09:46:40 AM »
Quote from: "SteelD"
BTW, my technique doesn't involve putting weight onto the centre stand foot beyond firmly holding it in place.

pulling the bike back with one hand on the left grip

Yer doin' it the hard way, D!  :wink:  

There's no need at all to do ANY pulling or pushing on the bars or wrestling of any kind. And the lifting force with your right hand is very minimal. 90% of it is putting your weight on the foot. It's LEVERAGE.

I'm tellin' ya, try it... once you do it right you'll say "WOW!" and never go back to your old way.   :bigok:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 09:54:34 AM »
BTW, my technique doesn't involve putting weight onto the centre stand foot beyond firmly holding it in place.

pulling the bike back with one hand on the left grip

Yer doin' it the hard way, D!  :wink:  

There's no need at all to do ANY pulling or pushing on the bars or wrestling of any kind. And the lifting force with your right hand is very minimal. 90% of it is putting your weight on the foot. It's LEVERAGE.

I'm tellin' ya, try it... once you do it right you'll say "WOW!" and never go back to your old way.   :bigok:

That's what I don't understand Zen - I'm not putting any effort into it right now anyway. Maybe we are doing it the same way but I'm describing it differently.

BTW, did you get a 100W bulb sorted for your bike?
David

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 10:53:49 AM »
That's what I don't understand Zen - I'm not putting any effort into it right now anyway. Maybe we are doing it the same way but I'm describing it differently.

Well, when you say your not putting any weight on the stand, and pulling back on the bars, that's not the way I'm describing at all.

I can get my bike onto the centerstand one-handed, without even touching the handlebar. I just lay my hand on the grip lightly to steady it, that's all.

Whatever. Do it any way you want, this is getting frustrating!  :roll:  

BTW, did you get a 100W bulb sorted for your bike?

Yep, quite a while ago...

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?p=69532#69532

Did you get your baby home yet? I'm looking forward to some pics with the lower fairing!  :bigok:

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 11:11:33 AM »

Did you get your baby home yet? I'm looking forward to some pics with the lower fairing!  :bigok:

This coming Saturday!  Licensing paperwork all complete and ready to roll. :grin:
David

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 02:58:34 PM »
I can get my bike onto the centerstand one-handed, without even touching the handlebar. I just lay my hand on the grip lightly to steady it, that's all.

You know,.. I read your instructions and thought, yup,.. I do all those steps... but there's not a lot of smooth and "pop right up" , there's a lot of tugging, and grunting and swearing...  Usually takes 3 or 4 good tries to get it up there, and that's on a b4!  (Luckily(?!?) the 919 is centrestand challenged)

I watch the other half do it, and it's fairly effortless, but he can't seem to figure what I'm doing wrong.   Any chance this has something to do with height too?  Like people under 5'6" can't do it easily?
 :lol:  :wink:  Apparently you have to stand taller than the bars on your bike?  :embarassed:
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 03:32:11 PM »
Quote from: "stormi"

You know,.. I read your instructions and thought, yup,.. I do all those steps... but there's not a lot of smooth and "pop right up" , there's a lot of tugging, and grunting and swearing...  Usually takes 3 or 4 good tries to get it up there, and that's on a b4!

If you are "tugging, grunting and swearing" (I don't like to see ladies tug, grunt and swear  :wink: ) then you must be doing something wrong.

My 264kg (dry) FJR goes up on the stand first time every time. There is a knack and I don't think you've got it yet. Even a 125 is going to cause grief if you don't know how to do it. Try experimenting with different approaches. The only time I used the sidestand is when I stop just before putting it onto the centre-stand. I don't trust side-stands for any length of time or when the bike is unattended in case it digs into the ground and topples or somebody walks into it - the centre-stand is much more stable and so on it goes every time.
David

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 03:33:29 PM »
I don't like to see ladies tug

I'll leave that one alone....  :stickpoke:

:lol:

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S