Author Topic: Bandit 1250 & 1250 ABS  (Read 8980 times)

Offline LensWork

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~lenswork/
Bandit 1250 & 1250 ABS
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 04:02:16 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
"Asphalt" said:
"Bazza" said:
The new 2007 Bandit was sold in Canada & Europe as a 2006 model with the sachs air cooled engine.

I thought that, but Bazza said it was sold as the 2006....just checking...

What Bazza means is the 2006 & 2007 are the same except for the engine and larger frame tubes. The '06 model uses the same familiar SACS air-oil cooled motor as previous B12's. The '07 gets the new water-cooled lump and thicker frame tubes, but is otherwise the same as the '06.

So if the '06 is the 3rd generation, does the addition of a new motor and thicker frame tubes in '07 make it a 4th generation, or is it more like a 3.5?

Don't forget the 6-speed trans on the '07.

IMHO, if anything the '06 was a 'tweener, maybe a 2.5 Gen? It was only produced 1 year, not sold in the U.S., mostly cosmetic changes (new fairing, gauges, etc.), 1 "Functional" addition (ABS), but the same engine & trans as before.  One year of production, with minor changes, limited distribution, does not qualify the '06 as a "New" generation. But the '07 is definitely a "new" generation (3rd Gen?)
Thanks,

Mike
LensWork

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1250 & 1250 ABS
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 04:15:37 PM »
Just because they weren't released in the US does not mean they are a limited release, it only means that Suzuki US didn't want to bring them in...
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline Alexanderr

• New user!
Bandit 1250 & 1250 ABS
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 08:08:17 PM »
The Versys looks to be an interesting bike.  I understand that there will one at the bike show in Jan I will definitely have to check it out.

Offline elofdahl

• TURBO TYPER!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/lofdahl1/03gsf1200/
30 lbs. heavier?
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 11:55:20 PM »
I'd like a water cooled, fuel injected, counter-balanced, six speed engine...but it's been stated above that it weighs 30 lbs. more than its predecessor!  According to Suzuki's website, the new 1250 (non ABS) weighs 496 dry.  How much does our existing 1200S weigh?
Eddie
'03 B12 S
'06 KLR 650
'07 C6 LS2 Z51 MZ6
http://www.bikepics.com/members/lofdahl1/

Offline LensWork

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~lenswork/
Re: 30 lbs. heavier?
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 12:21:28 AM »
Quote from: "elofdahl"
How much does our existing 1200S weigh?

2005 Bandit 1200/S dry weight 487 lbs.
Thanks,

Mike
LensWork

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1250 & 1250 ABS
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 11:17:48 AM »
2006 B12S 474lbs
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1250 & 1250 ABS
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 11:57:01 AM »
Alexanderr:
Well, the Water Buffalo King, a buddy of mine for 35+ years, owned a '99 B12S and now owns a 1000 'Strom. According to him, the only flaws the Bandit had was
a)"it needed a 6 speed" and
b)"seating position was killing his back after 2 or 3 hours". I've found out that for me at least:
a) the tranny is a non-issue. That engine was meant to run best in the 6K-8K RPM range....and it does. The 4500-5500RPM "buzz zone" can avoided quite easily, if you want to. So, no probs....
b) the WBK has had back problems for years, as have I. All a guy needs to do is some stretching exercises every time you gas up. So, no probs.....
The big "plus", supposedly, of the 'Strom is the torque.....
but that's a non-issue for me since I'm not afraid to row on the gearbox lever a little from time to time. Heck, I told the WBK that he's getting lazy in his old age and if he wanted a cruiser, he should have bought the M109 Boulevard.
So, all in all, the B12 does it for me....and besides, we all know that REAL bikes have air cooled inline 4 cylinder across the frame engines with carburators.......right??
:grin:  :grin:  :grin:
IMO, go for the Bandit....but bin the ABS....it's heavier, costs more and has more stuff to go wrong. I've always been leery of computers making braking decisions for me.
Such "decisions" are based on some computer programmer's algorithm burned into a chip and that algorithm can not possibly cover the infinite variations that the average rider encounters while braking.
If I have an accident due to poor braking technique, I can be sure it's my fault alone and not the fault of a computer.....
and don't get me started about glitches the computer may have as it ages...... :shock:
End of rant
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline Alexanderr

• New user!
Bandit 1250 & 1250 ABS
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 05:35:03 PM »
Thanks Rick for the comparison between the two Bikes.  Each Bike has its own special charms, but  I will admit though, that the B12 is a Wee bit better lookin then the Strom :wink:

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1250 & 1250 ABS
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 11:25:44 PM »
Not quite in Cow town, just a bit west though.

The thing that interested me was going to the six speed on the 07 and I really hung on, thinking it over before going for the 06.  I have ridden both 5 and 6 speeds and the engine does run smoother with the additional gear.  It should also get better mileage. Which could be offset by the fuel injection.

It was the weight difference that made up my mind.  The 06 is heavy enough as is, and still has all the power I'm looking for.  So, as I'm not the biggest of guys, I opted for the slightly lighter bike.

I am also interested in the list price.  Suggested list was 11,499 for the 06 at this time last year.  I was told that the 07 would be 11, 299 a couple of months ago, and now it shows up priced at 10,500
I am guessing it is the change in the dollar more than anything else that is causing the difference.

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1250 & 1250 ABS
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 01:02:05 AM »
Not quite in Cow town, just a bit west though.

C'mon, greyhound, Cochrane is a suburb of Cowtown, isn't it ??  :grin:
If that C$10,500 price holds up then it's a whizzer of a deal considering you're getting an all new engine, fuel injection, etc etc. At that price Suzuki should sell quite a few, even if they are water cooled. :wink:
See you on the road one of these days maybe.....
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1250 & 1250 ABS
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2006, 09:32:01 PM »
Tried one on for size at the International Motorcycle show in Long Beach but all I could do was make motorcycle noises! Wish I could have ridden it! Like the ergos the saddle position and pegs seem to be much better or, that could just be me!
02 1200 Fighter
Do chickens fly? Yea and a Hell of a lot faster than reindeer!!!!

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1250 & 1250 ABS
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2006, 09:57:59 PM »
I sat on the new b12 at the motorcycle show as well. Looks like a nice bike. It's a lot heavier then my little b4!
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Horse1200

• TURBO TYPER!
1200 Vs 1250
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2006, 02:19:31 PM »
Over here in the Uk the new 1250 is out. It is not the Busa engine it is a water cooled, fuel injected lump. Same bike apart from that. I ride a 06' and that has ABS, needed in this crappy weather, very good indeed. It has gained a bit of wieght but in performance it doesnt seem alot different, does have 6speed gearbox which helps. Plus its a bit more expensive, darn it.
LEAVE LATER, RIDE FASTER

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1250 & 1250 ABS
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2006, 03:06:21 PM »
Well, I'm ordering a black '07 1250 next month.

I just sold my WeeStrom DL650. I loved that bike, I would have kept it if the ol' lady had learned to ride, but she won't! So I want a big-bore for 2-up riding and touring occasionally.

The main things that swayed me towards the '07 is the fuel injection and the liquid cooling.

I've had many 4-in-line muscle bikes in the past, my favorite of all was a GPZ1100 with FI. The new Bandit is the closet thing to it now made. That fuel injection is such a huge improvement over carbs! No choke, no constant adjusting, instant throttle response and smooth power...  

And the liquid cooling gives it a much longer engine life, it makes the few extra pounds well worth it.

Just my 2 cents...  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1250 & 1250 ABS
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2006, 04:52:27 AM »
Quote from: "H2RICK"
Alexanderr:
Well, the Water Buffalo King, a buddy of mine for 35+ years, owned a '99 B12S and now owns a 1000 'Strom. According to him, the only flaws the Bandit had was
a)"it needed a 6 speed" and
b)"seating position was killing his back after 2 or 3 hours". I've found out that for me at least:
a) the tranny is a non-issue. That engine was meant to run best in the 6K-8K RPM range....and it does. The 4500-5500RPM "buzz zone" can avoided quite easily, if you want to. So, no probs....
b) the WBK has had back problems for years, as have I. All a guy needs to do is some stretching exercises every time you gas up. So, no probs.....
The big "plus", supposedly, of the 'Strom is the torque.....
but that's a non-issue for me since I'm not afraid to row on the gearbox lever a little from time to time. Heck, I told the WBK that he's getting lazy in his old age and if he wanted a cruiser, he should have bought the M109 Boulevard.
So, all in all, the B12 does it for me....and besides, we all know that REAL bikes have air cooled inline 4 cylinder across the frame engines with carburators.......right??
:grin:  :grin:  :grin:
IMO, go for the Bandit....but bin the ABS....it's heavier, costs more and has more stuff to go wrong. I've always been leery of computers making braking decisions for me.
Such "decisions" are based on some computer programmer's algorithm burned into a chip and that algorithm can not possibly cover the infinite variations that the average rider encounters while braking.
If I have an accident due to poor braking technique, I can be sure it's my fault alone and not the fault of a computer.....
and don't get me started about glitches the computer may have as it ages...... :shock:
End of rant
[/color]

Actually guys, one of the British bike mags did a test on ABS vs non ABS and it was a very interesting read.

They took one of the top GP racers (name escapes me) and put him on several ABS/non ABS versions of the same bikes. Only after a lot of practise could the racer stop better on dry pavement with non ABS he could not on wet pavement.

They did the same test with the magazines staff (who by the way are a few ex racers). All considered themselves above average riders. We none of them could stop faster on a non ABS bike compared to an ABS bike. The results were more impressive in emergency & wet situations.

The consensus of the test was that ABS brakes will indeed save your arse compared to standard brakes. This was especially true in wet & emergency stopping situations.