Author Topic: Bandit vs FJR1300  (Read 9430 times)

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit vs FJR1300
« on: June 18, 2007, 05:41:54 AM »
Well after putting 3000 km on the new Yamaha, I thought I would post a little ride report on my recent switch to an FJR.

Ok, 1st thing, I loved my Bandit, and really wanted to hold on to it, but in hindsight, I am glad I was not able to. Now keep in mind that a loaded up 2007 FJR is almost twice the price of a new Bandit here, so there is no doubt in my mind the Bandit wins in bang for your buck. (well this depends on the riding you are planning on doing)

Comfort.

Ok, the FJR wins hands down here. I recently did a 9 hour day with my wife on the back. I have done the same ride on the Bandit solo, and there is absolutely no comparison here. Weather protection (I added a laminar lip & foot guards to the FJR) and all I can say is that after 9 hours on the Bandit, I needed assistance to get off (almost) I think I could have done another 9 on the FJR.

Power.

Ok, I had the Bandit running pretty sweet; while the FJR is stock (I have a power commander on order). A good comparison would be a 69 Camero (Bandit) to a new Lexus. (FJR). The FJR is very linear in power delivery. The FJR has a reported 99 foot lbs of torque and 125 RWHP. Think electric motor here. The FJR crowd tells me that the Power commander really does smarten the FJR up. Now the bike mags claim the stock FJR will beat a stock Bandit S K2 in the quarter mile by .15 of a second. (11.0 vs 11.15) My seat of the pants test says my Bandito would have taken my stock FJR in the quarter mile.. BUT.... There is no doubt the FJR would kill the Bandito in a high speed highway race of any distance. (Again the comfort thing comes into play) The FJR would cruise at 100 mph or more quite comfortably all day long (you would need to loose the Mounties of course). I have had the Bandit up to triple digit MPH speeds a few times and I would pick the FJR hands down for cross continent ballistic speeds.

Twisties.

The Bandit wins here, but only slightly. The FJR is pretty lardy at 582 lbs, but comes with some pretty nice stock suspension, linked ABS brakes. It is very much fun to throw around, but it will never be as nimble as the Bandito. I live in a place that is 3 hours from any twisty roads though.

Conclusion.

Now again, I do not in any way wish to put down the Bandit. These bikes are two totally different machines (you will understand this if you ride an FJR), but I really do have to say that from a personal perspective, I find the FJR an almost perfect bike. As I mentioned before, I really wanted to hold on to my B-12, but realistically, I don’t know how much I would have rode it.

I like the FJR that much.

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
Bandit vs FJR1300
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 08:37:41 AM »
I've just gone the other way. FJR -> new B1250. The 1250 engine is even better than my 2003 FJR (remember that the 2007 1250 has bags of torque low down and has a balancer shaft). The B1250 is also much more nimble and I find it easier to flick around - long smooth sweepers aren't much of a problem but roundabouts in the UK and general city riding is much easier on the B1250.

The FJR is a great bike on the open road and has much better weather protection and the bike is designed with side cases in mind so it doesn't look ugly when they are off. My bike suffered greatly from corrosion - some of the worst was on the shaft housing and it came from under the paint causing bubbling. It was repaired under warranty but came back (a known weak spot on the FJR).

The FJR is about 35kg heavier and is generally bigger and so has more room for two-up comfort. However, much of my riding (90%) is short distance solo commuting in a mix of city and country traffic and so a more agile bike makes sense for me. I'll miss the shaft drive (I do hate the mess that chains make) and I'll miss those side cases (I have a pair of Yamaha inner liners to put on eBay soon) and better instruments but the Bandit is a better match for the type of riding I do.

And as you point out, the FJR is a load more money. In the UK, I can buy two B1250s for the price of one FJR.
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit vs FJR1300
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 08:04:26 PM »
Hey David:

Oh, if I was commuting the FJR would definetly not be my choice. The extra 100 or so lbs is quite noticable in traffic.

My town is on the grid & not very attractive to those who love to carve corners. The traffic is getting crazy just like everywhere else, so it does not upset me if I do not ride through town.

My favorite roads for riding are located about 8 hours away (You can tell I am not in the UK!), and the Bandit was killing my 48 year old frame getting there. (Of course this is no fault of the Bandit's)

But all things aside, if I were the type of rider that just did the occasional highway jaunt by myself. I would have probably bought a new Bandit. The FJR is not a bike you would want to keep for just around town.

In Canada the new Bandito is almost on the 2/1 ratio with the FJR also.

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit vs FJR1300
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 08:37:02 PM »
I luv the FJ.  It would be #1 if I were going sport touring.  

I am afraid that I need a full touring rig to get my wife on it.  She was comfy on a Road King...not sure I could stand one of those......I'm thinking Goldwing.  Didn't think I'd ever want one, but those 1800s are suprisingly sporty, I think that'll be my next ride.  Then maybe a full sports rig ('Busa?) but I will keep my '98 B12.
John L

1998 Red Suzuki GSF-1200S
1998 Red & Cream Moto Guzzi V11 EV
2001 Greenie Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit vs FJR1300
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 10:54:25 PM »
Hey Bazza, :congrats: on your ride! Glad you enjoy your purchase. One of my buddy's was looking for a new bike after getiing tired of something comming loose or needed attended to everytime we went on a ride. He had restored a 850 Commando. I talked him into getting a FJ. I knew what he wanted the bike for,new he'd want to do some trips,and he couldn't be happier. I got to take it for a test ride right after he bought itwith only a few miles on the odo.. Now his is a couple yrs. older than your mind you, but it is a smooth bike. I like the nimbleness myself,but its everything he wanted. The only thing I didn't like,was alot of heat fron the motor. Might not be a bad thing in the Geat White Noth?His was the yr. befor they came out with the clutchless shifting. He might get another bike now, but is still keeping the FJ(single,piolot)
   Ride on dude :motorsmile: , Dan

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit vs FJR1300
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 05:25:09 AM »
Hey Dan:

The 2006 is a 2nd gen FJR and I can tell you they have cured the heat issues. I had mine out on a 30 degree celcius day and felt no engine heat. Yamaha re-designed the radiator, cooling fans & fairing in the 2006 FJR. They also changed final gear ratios (the 2006 is geared slightly higher to eliminate vibration at cruise speed). The windscreen was also re-designed, but you still get buffeting here if your over 5'6".

I am still hoping to ride a new bandito on Demo days here.

Offline TWTourist

• First Post! Be Gentle!
Bandit vs FJR1300
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 01:08:37 AM »
Here is what I think of the FJR vs Bandit.  :stickpoke: As if anyone cares. :duh:

I owned a '03 Bandit and a '05 FJR at the same time.  The Bandit was my twisty/daily ride and the FJR was my long distance/2-up ride. Like Bazza said the FJR was more comfortable and had a higher top speed. :iddi: The Bandit was more flickable. :bandit:

Now, I have traded the FJR for a Wing and the '03 Bandit for an '07.  The Wing is a better 2-up touring bike and the '07 is a better Bandit.

The line between the FJR and the '07 Bandit is alot finer.  I think the FJR would still win the comfort/touring class. And the Bandit would win the twisty/daily ride class. But the top speed would be real close.

Bottom line is if I could only have one bike and money was not a problem.....it would be the FJR. :ducking: