Author Topic: Big Ben Goes Down  (Read 10739 times)

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Big Ben Goes Down
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2006, 10:20:38 AM »
Quote from: scooter trash
Surprise, surprise, surprise !!! the VA Beach newspaper ran my editorial in this mornings paper. Shame it won’t make a difference. Women talking on her cell phone tried to take me out this morning coming to work.

Knowledgeable and experienced riders plan on some idiot turning in front of them... ramming them from behind at a light... changing lanes into them.... etc., etc., etc. They practice 100% defensive driving and assume anyone who can hit them will hit them.

:motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:

Post the link!

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
Big Ben Goes Down
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2006, 10:31:51 AM »
Yeah, post the link!

Had to meet with my lawyer yesterday and this guy sees my gear so we start talking bikes.  Quiet, dapper, innocuous looking fellow surprised me by saying he used to be into motorcycles when he was younger.  I went on and on about how great they are for guys our age but he smiled and flatly refused to get into them again.

Seems he's represented a ton of young bikers involved in accidents and in EVERY case, the cagers were at fault.

Makes you pause and think.

jim

Offline scooter trash

• Board Homesteader!
  • Never Be The First To Get Old !
Big Ben Goes Down
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2006, 11:07:34 AM »
I wrote the article and gave it to Susie to submit (since she writes article for the paper I figured she'd have a better chance of having it published).

Here is the article.....

Instead of concentrating on Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger not wearing a helmet why not concentrate on what caused this accident. The number one killer of motorcyclists whether they are wearing a helmet or not is motorists turning left in front of motorcycles. Not speeding, not drunk riding, not reckless riding but motorist failing to yield the right a way to motorcyclists. Virginia is a mandatory helmet use state and everyday a motorcyclist is hurt or killed by some motorist not paying attention.

My son was hit by an uninsured motorist headed to the beach while on his motorcycle.  The person turned in front of him going into a store parking lot to grab some beer on General Booth Blvd. a few years back.  My son had a full face helmet on and was thrown into the windshield of the vehicle then thrown to the other side.  He ended up with two full leg casts and a cast on his right arm.  The motorist just got a slap on the hand and he was driving his friends uninsured vehicle plus he had no license.

But you won’t print this because it’s a better news story to report that a motorcyclist wasn’t wearing a helmet, he was riding a high speed motorcycle, a celebrity or riding recklessly. Why can't you help us out?  Inform the public that we are also out there and they need to watch out for pedestrians other vehicles and us.

As for how I know the statistics about motorcycle deaths; my husband taught motorcycle safety for several years at Tidewater Community college and DMV in Richmond.

Thank you,

Susan Segeleon
00 Red Bandit 1200S (Gone But Not Forgotten)
96 Red Harley Springer
04 Sportster
11 BMW R1200RT
scooters - in - the - wind

"Hollow Points" - From Those Who Care To Send The Very Best

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Big Ben Goes Down
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2006, 11:31:12 AM »

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Big Ben Goes Down
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2006, 12:01:05 PM »
There's been a lot of chat about this topic in the TN ABATE group as well.  Just as here at Bandit Alley, we're all pissed that the news focused on his lack of a helmet and that he was on a "fast" motorcycle, not that he was the victim of a right-of-way violation.  And then, like here at Bandit Alley, we realized that the only ones who were going to tell that story were those of who have the most to lose when a ROW violation occurs.

Also, not so much was made of the fact that the idiot did not have a valid motorcycle license, just an expired learner's permit, and the learner's permit would have required a helmet had it not been expired.

I do get very tired of the TN ABATE members who cite some ephemeral studies that show that motorcycle helmets cause "most" or "more" deaths because they break rider's necks or jaws in a collission.  I agree that the ABATE orgs need to challenge bad statistics about helmets and healthcare costs that arise from MC accidents, but the way to do that is not to make up bad stats of your own.

I am basically pro "freedom of choice helmet laws", (I think the goverment should protect us from others, not from ourselves) but I choose to execise my right, to wear a helmet every time I saddle up, whether TN law requires it, or not.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
article
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2006, 07:18:58 PM »
Good job!  Get the word out about inexperienced/idiotic riders hurting themselves.  The general public will say, "motorcycles are dangerous, something ought to be done."  If we don't voice ourselves, we'll end up like gun owners, and the AMA will be like the NRA.