Author Topic: Colorado Rockies on the BMW R1150RS Thoughts?  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Colorado Rockies on the BMW R1150RS Thoughts?
« on: June 03, 2007, 07:41:05 PM »
I ended up booking an R1150RS for 4-5 days in Denver, which intention of putting on as many miles in the Rockies as I can, a couple weeks from now.  Of the bikes that were not booked, this looked like what I would enjoy...and the other BMWs have really high saddles.

So I'm interested in any thoughts, perspectives, or experiences anyone has on either the bike or the routes.

(I have the Motorcycle Journeys series book and the Mad Maps Get Outta Town map, so I think I have enough routes, but if there's a "don't dare miss it!" spot, I'll take those suggestions.)
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline leedogg

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.fquick.com/Leedogg
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 07:46:09 PM »
No suggestions- but damn that sounds like fun!  I have a bud that works up there now and has a cbr600- says the riding is awesome. :motorsmile:
1996 Trans Am- Stock as a rock - NOT.  408rwhp/397rwtq.
2004 GMC Yukon XL - The family/Trans Am hauler
1992 Silverado - Future tow vehicle.
2007 Bandit 1250S - first ever bike- I love it!

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 05:55:41 AM »
Awsome, We'll be intrested in your thoughts when you get back. Have fun :motorsmile:   Dan

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 11:44:37 AM »
Hey, be sure to give us a ride report when you get back. The roads are pretty good around there. Especially in the foothills... lotsa fast sweepers. Tighter as you get up in the mountains.

If you can, you gotta do the Rocky Mountain National Park loop! It's freakin' awesome! Take 36 up to Estes Park, then 34 west through the national park  to Granby. Then 40 down to Empire on I-70 east back to Denver. You'll never forget it. It's about 250 miles, but take a whole day to do it... you'll be stopping to take pictures of the scenery along the way, and of buffalo, bighorn sheep, and elk.  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 11:52:37 AM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"
If you can, you gotta do the Rocky Mountain National Park loop! It's freakin' awesome! Take 36 up to Estes Park, then 34 west through the national park  to Granby. Then 40 down to Empire on I-70 east back to Denver. You'll never forget it. It's about 250 miles, but take a whole day to do it... you'll be stopping to take pictures of the scenery along the way, and of buffalo, bighorn sheep, and elk.  :wink:

Great, I'll put that on the list.  Thought of you in reading the "Ozarks to the Rockies" ride in the March issue of ROADBIKE.  Too bad you're not ready to come along and play tour guide!

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 01:15:26 PM »
Quote from: "Sven"
Great, I'll put that on the list.  Thought of you in reading the "Ozarks to the Rockies" ride in the March issue of ROADBIKE.  Too bad you're not ready to come along and play tour guide!

Sven I'd love to go with you, believe me!

But seriuosly, clear your "list" and put the RMNP loop at the top. It is truly an epic ride that will stay with you the rest of your life.

If you don't take this ride, I swear I'll come and pee on your bike!  :lol:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 01:26:30 PM »
If you don't take this ride, I swear I'll come and pee on your bike!  :lol:

Da-yum!  Now that's serious.

Your route is very similar to Loop 2 on the Mad Maps map.  They take CO 93/72/7 up to Estes Park rather than US 36.

Their longest loop is 300 miles up to Fort Collins, over to Walden, down to Granby, and then back to Denver as you suggested.  But the route up to Fort Collins is on the freeway, and I did that (in car) in March and don't see myself taking THAT ride again (other than to see another hockey game).

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 01:59:45 PM »
Defintely, the CO 93/72/7 is the best way to go on the bike, it just adds another 20-30 miles, and another hour or so. Lots more curves! If you have a full day, take it for sure. It's a fantastic loop, but you have to dedicate yourself to a good 8-10 hour ride to take in the full beauty and fun at an enjoyable pace.

I only suggested taking 36 up to Estes if your time was limited... it gets you up to the park quicker. But if you have the time, do the 93/72/7 route for sure.

I wish my scanner was working, I have some incredible pics from about 20 years ago when I did the full loop on a Z1 Classic 1000. Bighorn sheep, buffalo, elk, incredible vistas of miles-wide valleys and snow-capped peaks. A few pics of the bike parked next to snow banks alongside the road. Don't worry, the roads were totally clear and dry, it was in June if I remember right. But take some cold-weather gear for when you get up in the high altitudes.  :wink:

Sven, I've been on a lot of beautiful rides all over the country, but two of them really stand out in my memory... The North Cascades Highway 20 in Washington, and the Rocky Mountain National Park loop we're talking about here. I WILL do them both again someday.  :motorsmile:

Do it, bro... you won't regret it. And don't forget your camera!  :bigok:

BTW... that R1150RS is the perfect bike for this ride. I've often thought about getting one... I'm really looking forward to reading your impressions on the bike... and the ride, too.  :wink:

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 03:40:28 PM »
Sven, I've been on a lot of beautiful rides all over the country, but two of them really stand out in my memory... The North Cascades Highway 20 in Washington, and the Rocky Mountain National Park loop we're talking about here. I WILL do them both again someday.  :motorsmile:

BTW... that R1150RS is the perfect bike for this ride. I've often thought about getting one... I'm really looking forward to reading your impressions on the bike... and the ride, too.  :wink:

OK, now you're making me salivate.  I'm still editing pix and documenting our Without a Trace ride over Memorial Day weekend, and I need to focus...focus....

Offline hooligan1200

• Board Regular!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 09:17:35 PM »
my dad and uncle did the colorado run a few years ago and they said it was the best vacation they have ever been on. my dad got a r1150 rt and my uncle sported a fjr1300. my parents used to live out in boulder back in the day so my dad knew most of the routes to take. they picked there bikes up in denver, visited my aunt and uncle which live outside of boulder and headed north. my aunt has a mountain house in grand lake so they stayed there for the night. i know they hit the pretty far north all the way down to the southern border and everything between in 5 days. and when they got back to jersey my uncle ordered an fjr and my dads hunting for a r1150 right now :grin:
00 1200 bandit

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 11:17:37 PM »
Quote from: "hooligan1200"
my dad and uncle did the colorado run a few years ago and they said it was the best vacation they have ever been on. my dad got a r1150 rt and my uncle sported a fjr1300. my parents used to live out in boulder back in the day so my dad knew most of the routes to take. they picked there bikes up in denver, visited my aunt and uncle which live outside of boulder and headed north. my aunt has a mountain house in grand lake so they stayed there for the night. i know they hit the pretty far north all the way down to the southern border and everything between in 5 days. and when they got back to jersey my uncle ordered an fjr and my dads hunting for a r1150 right now :grin:

I wish I had more time to do everything in that area...Grand Canyon (would love to hike to the bottom), Painted Desert, Mesa Verde ( I love thar place but have never ridden up on on two wheels), Garden of the Gods (went there everyone morning one week in January...incredibly beautiful, etc. etc. etc.  Maybe go up and bug Stormi in person, etc. etc. etc.