Author Topic: FZ6 or GSF650S?  (Read 5662 times)

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
FZ6 or GSF650S?
« on: September 11, 2006, 10:02:59 PM »
Ok, so a mate of mine is going for a new bike, first in 6-7 years since riding dirt/motocross (casually) which one should I reccomend? The fz6 can always be sold real quick in a year or two, what about the B6?,  My wife has one, but weve never planned to sell, so I dont know what to reccomend. The fz6 is about the same price as a B12 up here in Canuckland. But , you think it'll be too much for this guy?...Hes about 6 ft, 220lbs (big enough physically YES), but will he get into trouble with the 12?

INPUT PLEASE GUYS!
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
FZ6 or GSF650S?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 03:54:32 AM »
Depends on his discretion with the throttle. Even the B6/FZ6, or anything for that matter, will get you in trouble if you're not careful. If it were me, and I hadn't riden in 6-7 years, I'd probably buy the B12 over the FZ6 because I feel I can exercise the judgement and respect the power as I learn to deal with it.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
FZ6 or GSF650S?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 06:43:13 AM »
I certainly am biased but to me it is a no-brainer; get the smaller Bandito!

I bought a 2006 650S in the spring and have put 8000 km. on it with absolutely no problems.  The thing runs like new and swats anything even close for similar money.

How important are dollars to your friend?  I'm not sure about out west but right now at suzukiofnewmarket.com you can get an '06 for $5995!!  That is pretty much giving the thing away.

In car terms, it's like you are getting a Honda, but paying Hyundai prices. :banana:

jim

Addendum:  I just checked the dealer's website and all his Bandits are gone, I think.  Best deal I can find is at Suzuki of Brampton; a 1200 for $7399!!  Man, that is a good price!!
http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=1508570&adid=5516604

Offline fritobandito

• Board Homesteader!
FZ1?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 10:21:34 AM »
Why not an FZ1 instead of a B12? I know, dumb question for this forum. But hey, you're considering an FZ6. Frankly, I don't know the weight differences between the larger and smaller engine bikes, and he's a big enough guy to handle the weight, but if money wasn't an issue, for me, the B12 (or FZ1) would definitely be the wiser choise than the B6 or FZ6. If he's afraid of the power, he can just go easy on the throttle until he builds some confidence.  At least that way, he wouldn't be looking for more power in a year or two.
Christ is Lord!

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
Re: FZ1?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 11:47:48 AM »
Why not an FZ1 instead of a B12?

His thought also is handing down the smaller bike in a year or so to his teenage son whos also interested, or even his wife (if she wants to get into it) then once his skills are sharpened and bike legs are fully back, graduate then.
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
FZ6 or GSF650S?
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 12:54:49 PM »
I don't know enough info on the FZ6 to pass judgment, but I do know that they made a lot of nice improvements on the FZ1.  If he is planning on passing the bike down, then getting either bike should be fine.  I think the FZ6 would be a bit easier to resale than the Bandit.  Either way, I would sit on both bikes and move around on it and see which one feels more comfortable.  I thought about a FZ1 before, but the Bandit felt more comfortable to me and was about $2K cheaper.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
FZ6 or GSF650S?
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 02:04:35 PM »
Well, if you're gonna hand it off to a kid I'd definitely say to go with the smaller bike and the cheaper, less high-tech Bandit.

Absolutely.

Kids don't need to be starting off with the best of the best.  Goes for cars, too.  First car, definitely not a Beemer!  Although so many parents do that sort of thing.  A good car from the lower end of the spectrum is a better idea.

Offline kevinfromrex

• Board Homesteader!
FZ6 or GSF650S?
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 02:42:16 PM »
What kind of riding are you and your mate going to do I guess is the best place to start. Bandit to me is the better all around bike. FZ kinda wild, snappy fuel injection, good power, about 88hp? Quick sporty, but I like the Bandit for all around work, its more comfortable. ( short tours and lots of street sport riding).
2001 Suzuki GSF600S

Offline ttewejnodnarb

• Board Homesteader!
FZ6 or GSF650S?
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 02:43:24 PM »
I know alot of people say go bigger and use discretion but I think starting smaller is always a good idea...especially given the desire to hand it down to a younger person.  One other consideration would be use...If your friend plans to tour on the bike a 600 would be a little bit of a stretch IMO.  But if he's doing mostly city riding the smaller lighter bike would be better.  I have heard that you really need to rev the FZ6 to keep it anywhere near the power band.  Without riding either I would have to say B6...take that with a grain of salt.
Brandon
98 B12S

Offline jlmoulto

• TURBO TYPER!
FZ6 or GSF650S?
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 11:48:48 AM »
I totally agree and in fact think that there are way too many guys and gals out there riding bikes that are far beyond their skill level.  I rarely hear people talk bout their cars the same way:

"I would recommend you buy the Corvette over the Chrysler minivan as you'll outgrow the power of the minivan in a few days and wish you had bought something with more power.  You can always add "saddlebags"  on the corvette to give you more carrying capacity."

IMHO, we as bikers are totally irresponsible to be recommending an FZ1 as a starter bike or a Bandit 1200 for that matter.  Buy the GS500, perhaps the SV 650 or the GSF 650 (amongst many other bikes incuding really nice used bikes) and take time to learn. You'll have just as much fun and probably reduce your risk of killing yourself early on.

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
FZ6 or GSF650S?
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 12:01:12 PM »
Quote from: jlmoulto
IMHO, we as bikers are totally irresponsible to be recommending an FZ1 as a starter bike or a Bandit 1200 for that matter.  Buy the GS500, perhaps the SV 650 or the GSF 650 (amongst many other bikes incuding really nice used bikes) and take time to learn. You'll have just as much fun and probably reduce your risk of killing yourself early on.

I agree with this 100%!  You hit it right on the head, bud.  Work your way up the ladder over time.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
FZ6 or GSF650S?
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 12:05:34 PM »
>>If your friend plans to tour on the bike a 600 would be a little bit of a stretch IMO.<<

I suppose it's a matter of perspective.  :wink: I do a fair amount of touring on my Bandit 400! I threw on a National Cycle Plexistar 2 windshield, a pair of GenMar risers and slightly raise handlebars, an AirHawk seat cushion, and TourMaster sport tailbag and saddlebags. With these accessories I've taken my bike from my NJ digs up to Cape Cod MA, Boston, Philly, various points into PA, and I plan to visit my friend down in Atlanta. No Problem.

This winter I hope to finally get a "bigger" bike, either an SV650 or a V-Strom 650, either one which will probably be good for a cross-country trip, properly rigged. :grin:

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
FZ6 or GSF650S?
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 12:22:41 PM »
Quote from: jlmoulto
I totally agree and in fact think that there are way too many guys and gals out there riding bikes that are far beyond their skill level.  I rarely hear people talk bout their cars the same way:

"I would recommend you buy the Corvette over the Chrysler minivan as you'll outgrow the power of the minivan in a few days and wish you had bought something with more power.  You can always add "saddlebags"  on the corvette to give you more carrying capacity."

I totally agree.  And not only with the power question but also just the money involved as Desolation pointed out.  

To clarify:  I'm riding to work today in the rain and got to a lonely stretch of road and tried practising my panic stops.  I do this on dry pavement all the time and it's no big deal, but I do a lot of riding in the rain, so I thought I should be ready come what may.

It's scary, though, trying to panic stop in the wet with a newer bike.  I wished I done that more with my old 31 hp. Savage when I had her.  An old piece of junk is way better to learn on cuz of that.

jim

Offline 00to60

• Board Homesteader!
FZ6 or GSF650S?
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 01:08:20 PM »
The B6 has enough power for him to get used to riding, because of his 6-7 year hiatus. The B6 will serve him just fine in traffic and on the open road or curves. It is an excellent entry level as well as advanced bike (that proved itself on the racetrack almost 20 years ago) that is practical, economical, and excellent mileage and easier maintainance.
The only thing that matters is how fast you can get from 0 to 60, because top speed is secondary

Offline fritobandito

• Board Homesteader!
agree
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 01:11:29 PM »
Well, I guess I would agree of the concept of learning on a lesser machine. In fact, I learned on a GS550L. It only took a year, though before I was ready, in fact intchin', to move up. But, if you do get a lesser machine to learn on, for Pete's sake, don't spend a lot of money on it. My GS550L was free from my dad. :grin:
Christ is Lord!