Author Topic: GSX-R1000 $12k OTD, dealer won't trade-in my 05 B12 (5K)  (Read 32742 times)

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
GSX-R1000 $12k OTD, dealer won't trade-in my 05 B12 (5K)
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 10:49:03 AM »
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
Since my post have always offered quality information, here is the Wikipedia of what and why the Bandit is, you'll also note the reason why the 1250 was latest forced and marginal creation, albeit its all part of the family LOL.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Bandit_Series

A.  Wikipedia can be edited by just about anyone.  It's not an 'authoritative' source.

B.  No where in that listing does it say the design was 'rushed' or 'forced'.  Yes, the Bandit had to be changed to meet Euro emission standards... but you have no clue just how long Suzuki has been developing that engine.

C.  California has some of the higher prices on motorcycles.  If you aren't aware of this... ask some people who might actually know.

D.  The B1250 is still a great deal for an all-around-UJM.  The only other bike that's close is the FZ-1, which isn't as comfortable, has a twitchier engine, is known to have F.I. problems, and is about $1k more expensive.  The market decides what bikes are made.  If the B1250 doesn't sell, Suzuki won't continue to produce it.  But since there is a glaring lack of UJM's these days... I have a feeling the Bandit (with the new engine) will be around for a while, especially since it's such a monster selling bike in other countries where looking like a poser-squid or badass-impersonating Harley-type aren't important criteria when selecting a motorcycle.

E.  The restrictions on the B1250 are primarily designed to meet the anal euro emissions standards and will see a 20-30hp increase with fuel/exhaust/air modifications that will probably be well under $1k in cost.

F.  In Chicago you can get an '07 GSXR1000 for ~ $11k OTD.  You can also get a B1250 for ~ $7300 OTD.  That's a $3700 difference.  You keep insisting on trying to compare apples & oranges.  

G.  You also keep trying to make the B1250 look like a fiasco when all reviews I've seen (4 or 5 of them now) are extremely positive.  But you know better apparently.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 11:52:09 AM »
Can you even buy a 49-state bike from a CA dealer? I don't know how it all shakes out with the '07 models, but there has typically been minor differences in CA Bandits and 49-state versions that make the CA models heavier and more cluttered. (Roll-over valve, emissions canister & associated plumbing)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 12:07:42 PM »
CWO, let's put all the ego BS and petty jabs aside for a minute and talk straight-up... one biker to another.

First I just want to say that I do respect you, and I'm grateful for your 30 years proud service to our country, helping to keep our nation safe and strong. You know more about ships and naval ordnance and military life than I could ever imagine.

But when it comes to motorcycles, I think I might just be at least your equal in riding ability, and I think I may have owned and ridden a few more bikes than you. So please allow me to give you a little advice, if I may.

Go down to a dealership and take a test ride on a B1250. Try to keep an open mind... what can it hurt? If you don't like it, then at least you'll be able to back up all the negative comments and derogatory swipes you've been taking at this bike, for whatever reason you seem to disdain it so much. All your criticism doesn't carry much weight when you've never even sat on one.

But I'd be willing to bet you'll be suprised and impressed with the smooth power and slick handling that has to be experienced to be believed... even if you won't admit it here. I think at the very least you'd be doing yourself a favor. All that common sense, frugality, and wisdom that you're always proclaiming to have might even over-ride your stubborness and you could end up riding home on a brand-new '07 Bandit. Who knows?

Look, you can test-ride a GSXR1000 too, and if you really like it and decide this is the one for you, then buy it!  But you gotta ask yourself, is a crotch-rocket really the best choice for your needs, riding style, and intended use? And is it worth the extra $4-$5K just for bragging rights? Are you gonna end up with a bike that's uncomfortable, high-strung, skittish and expensive? Because that's what the Gixxer is... no matter what they say about the adjustments for the seat, pegs, or 3-position power selector... it's a track bike that's street legal. And I sure as heck wouldn't want to ride one across country.

If you're out there ridng a GSXR you know you're gonna have a target on your back. Every squid and canyon-carver that sees you is gonna challenge you... that's fine if that's what you want, but do you have the skills to back up your motorcycle? Because it'll be one embarassment after another when you get blown off every day by all the knee-draggers and peg-scrapers. And you could easily find yourself in way over your head tryng to stay with a pack of WFO jet pilots. Not safe.

One advantage of riding the Bandit is the "sleeper factor"... it doesn't really fall into the sport-bike category, but it definitely has the capability to dust off any sport-bike out there if you have the skills... and the look on these kids faces when they get spanked by an old fart on a "standard" bike is just priceless.

Hey, do what ya want, bud... I just wanted to step back from all this raggin' and rantin' for a minute and give it to ya straight from the heart. I wish you the maximum fun and satisfaction whatever bike you decide to buy, and I hope we can get together someday for a little riding and maybe a couple of those beers you carry around in your topcase.  :bandit:  :motorsmile:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Re: New GSX-R1000 $12k OTD but won't do trade-in!
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 12:20:29 PM »
...found a dealer in Barstow...

Ah, Barstow, gateway to Fort Irwin and Calico, and birthplace of Del Taco.  As an childhood desert rat, I actually like the place, although it's on the way to becoming a bedroom community for the Los Angeles Plex.

Of course, it lacks the blue collar charm of Bakersfield...
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 12:29:17 PM »
Wow, there sure gets to be a lot of bitch-fightin' in these threads!  If you want to pick on someone, I'll be your daisy:

What the heck does OTD stand for?  On the dollar (since we're talking about retial commissions)?  Off the dealer (since you're talking discounts)?  Original tire discount?  (You can see I am drowing here...)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 12:33:14 PM »
OTD... Out The Door.

The total price you pay including prep fees and whatever other BS they can stick you with just to get your bike out the door of the dealership.
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 12:55:19 PM »
Oh, and just for the record, CWO... here's what your hero Dale Walker had to say about the B1250:

"Dale is very excited about the brand new Suzuki Bandit 1250 and feels this is by far the best Bandit ever produced."

http://www.holeshot.com/

Also, in case you missed it (courtesy of Red01):

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=8717

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 02:39:33 PM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"
OTD... Out The Door

Oh, OK, thanks.  I misunderstood Gunner's original post as being some sort of commission on the bike he wants to *sell* (for a G.D. gixxer?  Is he crazy?), and also he used "$14 OTD" when he meant "$14K OTD".  Like they were going to ask for $14 per dollar.  Seems like everyone in the discussion understood it but me.

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2007, 02:52:09 PM »
I gotta say that the 07's torque must be quite something because my 06 sure has a lot of it...and my (stock) dyno run showed it pretty flat (73ft/lbs peak) from 4-7.5K ...And I do like the handling of the 06 as well...what a blast to try them back to back for a real life comparo cuz with the Muzzy, and jet kit I gotta be somewhere close in torque to the 07 and my bike is likely a good 50+ pounds lighter...the new B12.5 may be my next new bike in a few years  :grin:
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2007, 04:16:13 PM »
:clap:

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2007, 04:29:30 PM »
Stay out of it my friend, its my job to be the bitch-fighter on this board LOL!

...the bitch is back, stone cold sober as a matter of fact...

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2007, 08:31:55 PM »
:clap:

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 08:32:14 PM »
Quote from: "Dreadnought"
I gotta say that the 07's torque must be quite something because my 06 sure has a lot of it...and my (stock) dyno run showed it pretty flat (73ft/lbs peak) from 4-7.5K ...And I do like the handling of the 06 as well...what a blast to try them back to back for a real life comparo cuz with the Muzzy, and jet kit I gotta be somewhere close in torque to the 07 and my bike is likely a good 50+ pounds lighter...the new B12.5 may be my next new bike in a few years  :grin:

Dread, #99 and I would like nothing better than to do some intensive test riding with you and your '06... one of us is gonna have to cross the border, how about I meet you half-way somewhere in Montana?  :bandit:

Seriously, when it comes to the torque on this B1250, you really have to ride it to get a grasp on it... it's quite amazing. Every review I've read raves about the torque, and when you see these test-guys who have ridden everything under the sun saying things like "the most grunt of any bike I've ever ridden", well.... all I can tell you is I agree with them.

Taking nothing away from your '06 though... with your mods and top-end power it would probably come down to who's the better rider. It's just a matter of preference. I used to be a big high-rev HP fan, but when I twist the throttle on ol' #99 without even looking at the tach or knowing what gear I'm in, it accelerates like a turbo-jet every time. I'm finding this very easy to get used to...  in fact it's spoiling the crap out of me. :motorsmile:

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 08:54:47 PM »
Also had a few bow out of coming over when I told them I was a retired LE officer with a permit to carry.

Thanks for the tip on Craigslist, but why would anyone "bow out" just because you said you were a retired cop with a gun permit???

Come to think of it, why would you tell them that anyway? The Little Woman and I both have our MO carry permits and we pack everywhere we go. I've had CCW's in a half-dozen states, but it's not something I'd tell someone that's coming over to check out a vehicle I'm selling.  :headscratch:

Besides, AZ is an open-carry state, is it not? You'd think folks there wouldn't give it a second thought.

And I thought you said you were in the Navy for 30 years... or was it the Coast Guard? Is that what you mean by being a "LE officer"?  :shock:

Hmmm.... the plot thickens...   :ducking:  :yikes:  :eek2:  :yikes3:

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 08:59:56 PM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"
The Little Woman and I...

Just how little is she?