Author Topic: Have a chuckle at my expense  (Read 7150 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Have a chuckle at my expense
« on: March 23, 2008, 12:21:21 AM »
With the weather turning, I have been doin' some stuff to the Ninja getting it ready for the season - fluid swaps, replacing the television size signals, dropping my triples a little, drilling out the carb screws (yeah, a '98 with the damned plugs still in it), tighten up some things... and replacing the cam chain tensioner.  I'd been having an intermittent bad rattle.  I'd never replaced one before.  It's right up against the frame and a little tricky to get to.  I was surpised how much tension was on it.  It really popped out of there.  Following the manual, I installed the new one.  Anxious to see if that cured the noise, I wanted to fire it up.  Turned the key, thumbed the starter and got absolutely nuthin but fuel pump.  No starter noise, no motor turning over....  nuthin.  What the hell did I do?  I figured I was supposed to be more careful letting the old one out and the chain jumped screwed up the cam timimg or something.  This was 3 weeks ago.  I've been debating what I was going to do ever since - tear into it myself and see what was up (well above my wrenching skilz), take it somewhere where I probably wouldn't trust the mechanic, see if I can pick up a cheap motor somewhere...  All the while, the damn bike has been sitting in the garage, all apart, taunting me.  Today, I decided to button it back up and stick it in the corner for a while.  Really pissed.  I thought I'd give that starter another try before giving up.  Nuthin.  As I was reaching for the key to turn it back off...  I notice the neutral light isn't on.  WTF, I always park in N.  I pulled in the clutch, hit the starter...  LIFE!  Quiet life, too!  I've been stewing over this for 3 weeks.   :duh: :lol: :beers:

I'm an idiot.  Hope I've at least managed to amuse you!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Have a chuckle at my expense
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 02:26:26 AM »
 :lol: Been there Done that :duh:

But all worked out in the end, and a cheap end at that. :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the laugh but.

need it my hernias are giving me shyte.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.billsbikesnservice.com
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 11:13:32 AM »
Glad you got it going. One of my lessons I learned a long time ago and still gets me sometimes today is, it is the little things that get us.

Offline Pillage

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 12:18:05 PM »
 :clap:
Been there, done that! 
 :duh:
Thanks for posting, made me smile.
 :grin:
FZ1000S,  GSF1200SV,  CB750F
Support the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 02:14:22 PM »
 :thanks: Pitter, that brightened my Monday!  :lol:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 02:38:36 PM »
I think we have all done funny stuff before.  Not all last for 3 weeks, but it happens.   I remember once on an old Honda when I drove off and forgot to turn the gas on.  I got a few blocks before the bike died.  I sat there for a few minutes before I figured it out.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline gunz

• Board Homesteader!
  • 2007 Bandit 1250 for sale
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 10:18:21 PM »
Dang nice to know I am not the only dipstick on this forum.

Been there, Done that, Bought the Tee shirt.
FOR SALE 2007 Suzuki bandit 1250
Black, Non ABS. With upgrades.
$6500 or trade? mobile alabama.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 10:55:45 PM »
Yeah, I can be a real knucklehead!  The motor is whisper quiet now!   :bigok:  I'm still not sure why a bike with 18K on the clock would be on its third tensioner, though (the PO had changed it once already). 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 11:39:51 PM »
Rob, have you thought about taking the MSF course again?? Only kidding of course!

The weather here is greatly improving. But I've been so stressed lately with work and my personal life, I've been avoiding my bike like the plague (I haven't even looked at it... it might even be gone?). If I put it back together and she runs, it'll be a huge stress relief and I could get a good therapy session in... if it doesn't start it's more stress then I need to deal with right now.

I might be brave enough this weekend... we will see!
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline sloper10

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 12:37:44 AM »
 :clap:  I dislike being the one to tell you, Rob, but it is not going to get better... :stickpoke:  How are you doing in that little corner of PA?..Lynn...
2007 Kawasaki KLR650...good fun..

2005 Turbo Hayabusa....pushing 400hp...sometimes a scary ride...

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 09:51:32 AM »
:clap:  I dislike being the one to tell you, Rob, but it is not going to get better... :stickpoke:  How are you doing in that little corner of PA?..Lynn...

Lynn?  I used to know a guy named Lynn.  He had a Happy Bus, too! 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline egads1

• Board Regular!
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 01:26:27 PM »
I slept in the rain on the side of the road one night because my bike quit.  The next morning and with light I discovered I had accidently hit the kill switch.  Put it on "run" and went on down the road--feeling like the dumbest turd in the world.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 02:06:59 PM »
I slept in the rain on the side of the road one night because my bike quit.  The next morning and with light I discovered I had accidently hit the kill switch.  Put it on "run" and went on down the road--feeling like the dumbest turd in the world.

OK, I'm sorry but I think that beats my story!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 03:04:16 PM »
I'm still not sure why a bike with 18K on the clock would be on its third tensioner, though (the PO had changed it once already). 

Known issue with the CBRs...

Good job though!!

My big recurring "oops", including on the CBR, has been hitting the kill switch while in motion.  All of the sudden,... coasting to a stop... can't figure out why. 

Apparently, I have to learn to fidget less.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline bngboyd

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 03:15:24 PM »
When I was about 17 there was this girl that I really liked but she was so good looking that I did not have the guts to talk to her.  :drool: I ended up at this party that she was at. She was fighting with her boyfriend  :argue: and they ended up breaking up. He leaves her there and I heard her asking someone for a ride home. They said that they were too drunk to drive.  :singing: I had yet to tip a glass and told her that I would be happy to take her home.  :trustme: I told her that I was riding a bike though and if that would be a problem. She said that she loved motorcycles and that would be great.  :drool2: She was really excited and held on tight.  :thumb: I could not have remembered my name at this time and I too was very excited.   :toocool: We were getting along so well and I knew this was going to be a great night.  :motorsmile:

Right then the bike stuttered and quit.  :wtf: I roll to the side of the road and we dismount. I tell her I am sorry and I am sure it is nothing.  :no-no: I start to look over the bike. I for some stupid reason felt it was due to the battery not having enough juice to start it.  :duh: She sticks out a thumb and the very next car comes to a screeching halt. She gives me a dirty look and enters the car.  :pop:
After trying for about an hour to figure out what the hell is wrong with my bike, I called a buddy for a ride home. I wake in the morning and go buy a battery. Get back out to the bike and install my new battery. Try to start it and nothing.   :headscratch: I am really upset now and start throwing tools and cussing like a sailor.

Was getting ready to call for a tow when I noticed the petcock was set to off.  :duh: I never turned my petcock off and found out a friend of mine that was at the party the night before thought it would be funny to set my petcock to the off position.  :gatlin Went across the street to pick up the tools I threw and then threw them back across the street trying my best to hit the bike. Cross the street and pick up the tools. Get on the bike and set to prime. Bike started right up.  :clap:

Never saw that chick again nor did I want to.  :annoy:

Turns out the chick was a bitch, friend was a real a-hole, and I was a total dumbass.  :lol:

Don't feel bad man, could of been much worse.

I hope you are the one amused now.  :bandit:
Bob
Redding, Ca.

2007 Bandit 1250S Non-ABS Black
2005 Bandit 1200S Yosh RS-3 Slipon (Wrecked!)