Author Topic: Hey! Buy American, you jerk!!  (Read 10498 times)

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Hey! Buy American, you jerk!!
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2006, 02:27:41 PM »
Oh, I don't know if the U.S. car companies would want to be associated in any way with the radical motorcycle industry.

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2006, 02:57:00 PM »
Quote from: "Desolation Angel"
Oh, I don't know if the U.S. car companies would want to be associated in any way with the radical motorcycle industry.

They already are...

http://newautos.about.com/od/truckssuvs/a/fordharley_f150.htm

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2006, 03:24:21 PM »
hey - that's my truck!  I got the cheaper xtr but I could throw a couple of stickers on it and the floormats and she'd be a hd!!

Ford should make a Bandit version of the F-150!  Maybe  a mask like the lone ranger's around the headlights??  Cool.

Jim

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2006, 04:29:18 PM »
Quote from: "jbrough7"
hey - that's my truck!  I got the cheaper xtr but I could throw a couple of stickers on it and the floormats and she'd be a hd!!

Speaking of throwing a couple of stickers on it...

Yesterday after work, I stopped in at the local Taco Time to get a bite to eat and parked the Jeep next to a black Mercury Mountaineer.
It had the H-D edition badges pasted on the tailgate and fenders. :roll:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline jwalters

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://genome.uiowa.edu/~jwalters
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2006, 06:47:35 PM »
Why is it that so many of those people have to have a bike that is made in the USA, but when it comes to watches, computers, cars, cloths, lawn mowers, etc ... they turn the other cheak?  Do these motorcycists approach strangers for wearing shoes not made in the USA, no.

Seems to me its because it has been the "In" thing to do.  Rally-around-the-flag type of mentality.
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1972 Honda CB 750 K2 Cafe Racer
1985 RZ 350
2006 DR650SE

Nesba #013

Offline KX5000

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2006, 07:41:28 PM »
you got it jw- it's ridiculous, A guy I work with rides a '47 knucklehead chopper, he says the "harley" guys won't wave to him on the road...they think he's riding a Honda!????????  And whoever said the "blast" is comparable to a 600 bandit- I'll have what you're on please, I can't believe it's legal to call those things "Blasts"
If harley made a car, would it look like a model A ford? and cost about 70 grand?
3 Kids
2 Dogs
1 Wife
NO problem!(yeah right!!)

Offline chevsuz12

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2006, 01:58:58 AM »
I've got news for you, Hardleys are not 100% made in America.  Nothing is!  A few months ago my company was outsourcing some parts to be made in Taiwan, I had to be involved in this (whether I wanted to or not) this same company made several parts for HD in Taiwan!  A neighbor of mine, was just in Taiwan at a manufacturing facility for an American Auto Parts Manufacturer, and he told me the same thing.  He was shocked at the HD stuff he saw!  (And he rides an HD!)

The bottom line is this:  For any American company to be able to compete in the 'Global Market' you have to make the best product you possibly can for as cheap as possible.  And usually that means getting it made in China, or Mexico, or anywhere else there is cheap labor.  And in truth, does it really matter where it is made, as long as you are getting a good product for a reasonable price?  At the end of the day, we may all bitch and complain that things aren't made in America, but are you willing to pay 2-3 times as much for the same product just because it is made here?  

Folks, todays businesses are typically ran by people with good hearts and want to do well, but they must answer to someone.  That someone is the investors, of whom demand continuous monetary gain.  Even if the company had a prior year record earnings, the investor's will want more! The only way to achieve this is to outsource, cut labor costs, and bring in more business.  That's just the way it is.  If a company doesn't do this, they will not be around in another 5-10 years.
B12 Streetfighter!

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2006, 10:51:44 AM »
Quote from: "KX5000"
...If harley made a car, would it look like a model A ford? and cost about 70 grand?

Yes, but it would actually be more like a Model 'T', than a Model 'A'.

With a lot more chrome, though.  :grin:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2006, 10:04:38 AM »
Now, now, you guys are just being too hard on HD... they actually built competitive products price and performance wise until the '69 Honda CB750 arrived on the scene.
So I'm gonna go with a '69 Galaxie 500 for the Big Twin and a Fairlane for the Sportster.  :grin:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
hd
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2006, 01:49:57 PM »
Gotta give credit where credit is due.  H-D has made huge $$ selling the nostalgia thing.  Where else can you sell 1940's technology bikes at $15-30K a pop?  All pure profit, think of all the R & D $$ Harley has saved since the '80's.  Some $$ were spent on the VROD but not a lot.  Porsche did the motor and the rest of the bike is still low tech.  The US automakers are finally taking note with bringing back old muscle cars.  Seen the "new" Challenger Chrysler is bringing back?  Heck, a remake of a 1970 model on an existing platform (300 & Charger).  It will sell like hotcakes and there's little to no R&D cost.

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2006, 02:29:44 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Now, now, you guys are just being too hard on HD... they actually built competitive products price and performance wise until the '69 Honda CB750 arrived on the scene.
So I'm gonna go with a '69 Galaxie 500 for the Big Twin and a Fairlane for the Sportster.  :grin:

I was thinking Plymouth Valiant for the Sportster...

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: hd
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2006, 03:09:46 PM »
Quote from: "tacoman"
think of all the R & D $$ Harley has saved since the '80's.  Some $$ were spent on the VROD but not a lot.  Porsche did the motor and the rest of the bike is still low tech.

I don't imagine the R&D bill from Porsche was exactly cheap, and if you've seen the cable show on the development of the HD water pumper, you'll know it had it's share of problems - mostly in the cooling dept.

Anyone remember reading of HD's "Nova" project in the 80's?

I'm sure some funds were wasted on that project.  :pukey:

But you're right, compared to what the Japanese Big 4 spend in R&D, Harley spends nothing. OTOH, they probably spent it on marketing and expanding into the markets to support the "lifestyle image."
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2006, 03:13:20 PM »
I suppose you all think that keeping state-of-the-art in the handlebar fringe development arena doesn't cost anything?  

Hmmph!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2006, 03:16:15 PM »
Quote from: "PaulVS"
I suppose you all think that keeping state-of-the-art in the handlebar fringe development arena doesn't cost anything?  

Hmmph!

:duh: And the latest in upholstery studs and conches, too.  :thanks:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline gtbandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2006, 03:52:34 PM »
Honda's US made automobiles are made using over 90% US materials and labor. At least this was the case several years ago. Toyota was somewhere in the same neighborhood and Nissan cars used 85% or more US materials. Honda even exported the US made Civics back to Japan! I used to work for a small manufacturing plant where we made a few pnuematic and hydraulic/electric manipulators for one of Honda's assembly lines. (The point being that they really do try to source as much as possible from the US!) BTW, both of my cagers are from an American maker!

Just the other day I saw a jacked up F-250 crew cab diesal 4x4 with this statement on the tailgate: "If it ain't American.... It Sucks!" Under that in smaller print it said something to the effect that if buy foreign junk your an anti-American jerk. I can't remember exactly what else it said, but if I see it again I'll report it here.
Craig
'99 Black B12
'03 KLR650
'03 1000 V-Strom
'05 SV650
+ a few others